Pretty much accused of being a bad mom...

Moderator: ACOT Employee

CatwoMN
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 9

Post by CatwoMN »

I run into residents like her all the time and it's so hard because as the caretaker I cannot say, "So what did you expect when you moved into an apartment?" even though I would like to. At the same time, I do have to give the parent of the crying baby a call and say that they need to try to keep the baby quieter. Situations involving toddlers and other small children are the worst! I know that kids need to run up and down the hall to blow off steam (inside the apartment not the common hall) and that parents can only do so much, but it is difficult to tell a single person that there isn't much I can do about it except speak to the parent. I've had people move out because of kids above or below them and that's just fine by me. I would rather they move than complain all the time. I just say, I have to deal with it too but it comes with living in multi-family housing. (I swear my next door neighbors have a pet elephant that runs up and down the steps several times a day...and their second grader screams bloody murder when she's told to go in the house for bed at night. It's not a pretty sight.)Loud parties/music/tvs by people who know better on the other hand, I just don't tolerate. If they don't turn it down after a warning I call the police. I know, I'm mean and I don't even have kids.
Beth-W
Featured Guest Coordinator
Gallery: 459

Post by Beth-W »

So sorry Jax has been sick and I hope he is feeling better.  ((Hugs)) to you as a mom because it is harder when they are sick.  It doesn't sound like you are a bad mom, so don't be so hard on yourself!!!It is a difficult situation living in an apartment when it comes to noise.  We rented a townhouse when Bella was a baby and we specifically asked when we moved in if noise was transmitted through the walls.  We got a no for the answer.  The first night we stayed there, our neighbor had a party that was so loud (and the speaker must have been right by the wall) because I had to keep checking to make sure the wall wasn't shaking.  She couldn't sleep and neither could I.  It was an ongoing problem with the neighbor that caused us much grief.  If the problem is something controllable (such as loud music or partying) I don't think that is excusable but a baby crying when it is sick can't be prevented. I would venture to guess she doesn't have kids.  But, I would make nice with her or at least talk to her because if she is vindictive, the wall can work both ways.
Midge
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 213

Post by Midge »

I totally get what you gals are saying...that is one of the drawbacks to living in an apartment. Just like so many things, you can't make everyone happy. I hope we can just move on and at least be nice to each other. Jaxon has started to feel better today...thank goodness.
ArmyWife95
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 160

Post by ArmyWife95 »

On behalf of the girl, I will say she is single, and probably never experienced a sick baby.    On the other hand,  if she has a problem then she should take it up with management.  I think you have every right to shut the door in her face.  That's just the way apartment living is.  When I was first out of college and started my first job, I lived in an apartment.  The people that lived above me, smoked pot all the time and had a lot of sex.  After a while, you just kinda ignore it!  Best of luck!  Just think, when she has a baby and it's sick...those words will come back two fold for her!!
mamma2allboyz
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 303

Post by mamma2allboyz »

If that woman lived next to me she would have vacated along time ago, mine dont cry so much only because they are older.  But let me tell you, they scream and fight four boys I have no chance for peace and quiet.   I live in a townhouse and only actually have one family next to me on one side.  Then we have two families across from us, I am in an end unit for that very reason I demanded it when I moved it lol.  Now my nieghbors are totally cool and we all hang out together, my next door nieghbors have 3 kids and the ones across the way have 2 in one and 3 in the other so we ALL UNDERSTAND.  The day I  moved in I warned them lol,  they were so cool about it and said we know we have kids.  Its hard when someone doesnt have kids, my girlfriend used to give me a hard time until she had one now I have never heard another peep from her about it.  People sometimes can just be plain rude, she has no idea what its like to have a crying baby.  If she had been last week when Austin cried for 24 hours due to my sister with that incident she would have jumped ship.  It was plain awful you are NOT a bad mother in no way shape or form.   I know you want to get "along" with nieghbors but bottom line you pay your rent to live there and unless the police show up and say you are going to be arrested then tell her to buzz off. HUGS
Jennifer Mom of Four Boys
PopPop
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 4

Post by PopPop »

That is what you get when you live in an apartment.  I'm sure our neighbors (one on each side, they are single story) hate it when one of the boys has an Austistic moment.  But we have had to call the cops on them for their loud parties at 2 in the morning, twice.  We live in a high scale apartment so alot of our neighbors are 5 or 6 single people living in one apartment so close the door in her face, tell her to take it to the management! If they find you don't abuse you sweet Jax they won't have a problem! after all when you move into a family apartment you have to expect noise!
Jeanne

PopPopto her 2 DGS who both are autistic. The oldest one named me PopPop when he was 2 and it just stuck!
mkcdaisy
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 616

Post by mkcdaisy »

Don't listen to her.  You are i no way a bad mother and since she doesn't have children, she wouldn't understand it.
FurBaby_Mom
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 444

Post by FurBaby_Mom »

The stress of taking care of a sick baby is enough.....Ugh.I'm super-sensitive to noise.  When we lived in an apartment, it drove me nuts.  I literally ran two air filters in our bedroom to drown out the upstairs noise.  Maybe she needs a white noise machine.  It makes a huge difference.  But that's pretty much what you get when you move into an apartment!  Maybe the management will switch her to another apartment?  That really stinks.
Flapdoodle
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 3

Post by Flapdoodle »

I am SOOOOO like you, Tracy. Being super-noise sensitive SUCKS. I have to run a fan in the bedroom to drown out noise, too.

Return to “General Talk”