We're celebrating World Card Making Day with 20% off the regular price of everything! Use code CARDS20

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

September Spend Smart/Stash Bust Challenge
Welcome back to another month of Spending Smart Stash Bust Challenge! We're challenging each other the bust our stash, AND spending smart, and while that may look a little different to everyone, I've gained tremendous insight AND inspiration from ALL of you, Dear Cherries! 😊

Here's a link to last months challenge
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=278259&hilit=Spend+Smart
AND, I've forgotten to do this for a while, but here's a link to the original posting for THIS challenge
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=271603

THIS challenge has helped me hold myself accountable, gotten me in touch with similar resources, and so forth…. It's been a GOOD snowball-rolling-down-a-hill effect for me!
I've been reading older posts, and taking mental notes. With that in mind, I hope this challenge is helpful and I'm excited to discuss our plans and thoughts!
Any specific goals for September? How did August go for everyone? 😊

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: September Spend Smart/Stash Bust Challenge
Stash Busting:
I ONLY completed a handful of projects in August. Say 7 layouts and 2 cards. ( This doesn't include art journaling or working on my altered playing card ATCs, or other art projects.)
As many of you know, I went back to work in August, and while that may have cut into SOME of my crafty time, I STILL felt compelled to start re-organizing!
I decided to do some re-organizing of my flat embellishments - I'm taking the ephemera, die cuts,etc out of my binders and putting them into notebooks.
While going through my (flat) embellishment binders, I found a LOT of gaps where I've used things, which was great!!! 😊 Moving them into notebooks proves to be a bit of work but that's what I started! Flat embellishments, some store bought, some handmade, leftovers, some gifted, some fussy cut, some die cuts… I REALLY LIKE being able to look through the notebook, and it's easier access than my binders. (All my extra binders and pocketed page protectors will be used for other things!)
WHEN I consider ALL the papers and tools that I have to work with on top of all that, I STILL plan on getting myself a few treats when Black Friday hits! 😂 Here's why: in 2025, I'm going to be stricter with myself. I KNOW I'm on the right path with my Smart Spending AND Stash Busting! ☺️
THIS month, while I keep re-organizing, I'm gonna be focusing on finishing up projects, new and old. I'm gonna be making page kits, using them, and continuing to have FUN! I'd like to actually make the labels for some of my albums, too! 😉
Spend Smart:
I made a purchase, during a LOVELY sale, here!! I used points and gift cards and spent less than $30 out of pocket - I NEEDED adhesive and wanted to wait until I was out of adhesive before I purchased ANYTHING - which I DID!! I've gotten some neutral cardstock- Colorbok Neutral, 30 sheets for less than $5! I picked up some fun cut parts, chippies, a few stickers, and a couple of great papers.
Now, I REALLY ONLY needed adhesive, but I've been keeping track of how many projects I've finished since January, and May (which was my last purchase) - and I have used a LOT of papers, etc, so I REALLY feel like I deserved the splurge!
I don't plan on buying anything else until Black Friday - though my wish list remains a few miles long! 😉

suewho372

Cherry Jubilee

Hi Holly and cherries!
I had big scrappy plans for August - however sadly I only got 2 layouts and a handful of mini cards completed!
However the layouts I did do were using mostly old old stash! So there is that!
I splurged a little bit over the month, but not in a crazy way! 🙂 I don’t plan on any more purchases this month. I also got some much needed adhesive! I also just ordered some more twine in some cool colors yesterday that I really did not need but NEEDED kwim ?!
So fingers crossed for making time to scrap in Sept! Wow this year is flying by.
Susan

mizz_kitty21

Cherry Picker

Alrighty - status for august. I did make some purchases in august, half of it was restocking adhesive, trimmer blades and neutral cardstocks. 

That being said, I got a fair bit of new goodies, vicki boutin bold + bright, Shimelle reasons to smile, bea valint sketchbook, maggie Holmes forever fields and jen hadfield groovy darling. By all means, not the entire product lines. I’ve learnt to pick and chose what I really want/need, and carefully select the items I want, instead of giving in to the dreaded FOMO. 

So, to counter all my shopping, I’ve managed to create 61 (!) layouts in august, and I’ve cut into 114 whole pieces of patterned paper. I think this is the absolute most, I’ve ever created in a month. Its all thanks to the challenges here on ACOT, and the friendly environment. 

In october, I plan to do my pagekits with only 1 whole 12x12 piece of paper, and rest must come from my scraps. My scraps/leftover holders are getting pretty full, so I need to give the spotlight to my scraps in october. 

As for september, I’m already making pagekits, as I’m a team captain this month, and I want my team to win, off course ;)  so, I gotta get ahead, and the way for me is to do pagekits. 
Add some sparkle to your life :)

- Henriette

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

suewho372 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:03 am
Hi Holly and cherries!
I had big scrappy plans for August - however sadly I only got 2 layouts and a handful of mini cards completed!
However the layouts I did do were using mostly old old stash! So there is that!
I splurged a little bit over the month, but not in a crazy way! 🙂 I don’t plan on any more purchases this month. I also got some much needed adhesive! I also just ordered some more twine in some cool colors yesterday that I really did not need but NEEDED kwim ?!
So fingers crossed for making time to scrap in Sept! Wow this year is flying by.

Susan, it's soooo cool that you have been using older stash! (I'm trying to use something older on each layout!) Bonus: doing cards helps us use our stash, too! 😉
I TOTALLY know what you mean about finding something that you NEEDED! 😜 I LOVE how we can take seemingly random things and make art with them! ☺️
I hope you have a VERY scrappy month! ☺️

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

mizz_kitty21 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:36 am
Alrighty - status for august. I did make some purchases in august, half of it was restocking adhesive, trimmer blades and neutral cardstocks. 

That being said, I got a fair bit of new goodies, vicki boutin bold + bright, Shimelle reasons to smile, bea valint sketchbook, maggie Holmes forever fields and jen hadfield groovy darling. By all means, not the entire product lines. I’ve learnt to pick and chose what I really want/need, and carefully select the items I want, instead of giving in to the dreaded FOMO. 

So, to counter all my shopping, I’ve managed to create 61 (!) layouts in august, and I’ve cut into 114 whole pieces of patterned paper. I think this is the absolute most, I’ve ever created in a month. Its all thanks to the challenges here on ACOT, and the friendly environment. 

In october, I plan to do my pagekits with only 1 whole 12x12 piece of paper, and rest must come from my scraps. My scraps/leftover holders are getting pretty full, so I need to give the spotlight to my scraps in october. 

As for september, I’m already making pagekits, as I’m a team captain this month, and I want my team to win, off course ;)  so, I gotta get ahead, and the way for me is to do pagekits. 

Henriette! Welcome back again! 😊
I LOVE what you said about re-stocking the basics! Those are DEFINITELY essentials! ☺️
I usually ONLY buy bits and pieces from collections, too! I usually only buy a full collection if I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it! Say, all the papers instead of just some, or a sticker sheet instead of all the ephemera. (Though, I've made a few exceptions and bout lots from some collections, it's usually NOT the entire collection!) It's a good way to save some money and still get some new things! Win-win! ☺️

61 layouts is FANTASTIC! WHOA! ☺️ (I can ALSO DEFINITELY agree that it's friendly AND encouraging around here!) I Love how you mentioned using your scraps!! I've been making an effort to use more of mine, too! Or else the bin gets full! ☺️
LOVE that you've been making page kits, AND how you are adding scraps to each kit! THAT will DEFINITELY help you use some of them up! 😉
Hopefully you have another terrific month of Scrappy Happiness! ☺️

Amy Jo

Cherry Bing

August total spending money accrued was $94.46 (+2 points rolled over).

I completed 23 single page layouts, 2 double page layouts, and 1 card for a total of 27.5 points or $20 +7.5 points to rollover to September.

NEW TOTAL: $114.46 (+7.5 pts.)

I didn't meet my goal of kill a kit last month but I did meet the goal of adding another $20 to my total!

My goal this month is to kill a kit...I need to get going to meet that yearly goal! I'm also setting the goal to use up a sticker sheet. Much like collection kits, I have so many with only 2 or 3 pieces left. I just need to remember to use them!

My rules for earning spending money:

1. No Spending in February, June, or October
2. I'll earn $10 to spend for every 10 layouts. (Cards count as 1/2 of a layout and Double Page layouts count as 2.)
3. I'll earn $5 for every sticker sheet or embellishment package I use up.
4. I'll earn $10 for every kit I kill. My goal is to kill 4 this year. (I have set and failed to reach this goal in the past but I am really close to killing a couple of kits so I feel good about achieving this goal in 2024!) - 1 down, 3 to go!!
ImageImageImage

blbabe1234

Cherry Bark

I think I did pretty good. I hadn't bought anything until last week...when another place to shop...had a FLASH SALE of..DOGGIE scrapbook papers/stickers/die cuts. HELLO!!! I got 3 collection paper packs, along with die cuts. I wanted free ship, so I tossed in school die cuts too, because, hey why not? With 4 nephews and 2 currently in school, I NEED THEM!!

On the scrappy front, I got 18 pages done and bashed a bunch of Christmas stash! Granted, it was the PhotoPlay Muttcracker collection, but hey, that's still bashing!

This month, I hope to (1) not buy anything; and (2) continue bashing stash. I still would like to at least finish Christmas 2021.
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   Image Image

GinniG

Chocolate Covered Cherry

WOW Cherries!!!  Sounds like we all did fairly well on our stash bashing!!!  I just looked at my 100 pieces of paper total for August and OMG!  I not only reached my SECOND set of 100 sheets I have 38 to continue with on my way to 300 sheets of paper!!!!!!!  NO WONDER my paper stack is looking a bit thinner these days!  Of course I STILL have 3 shelves for the greens and blues, and 2 for the reds!!!  (I have one of the single tall racks they use in the stores.)  So I'm doing well on busting my stash! 

As for spending I splurged on the Fall Cherry Box.  OMG what a STEAL that was!  And I can see myself sending along some things with my monthly card exchanges too.  LOVE doing that!  :) 

I've won 3 gift certificates so far between July and today's announced winners so that more than covers my shipping costs!  I may just HAVE to buy something...  I'm hoping I can hold off till Black Friday though.  :)  There's a boy line that I have been eyeing since I've been asking for one just like it for YEARS...  Might just have to splurge on it since I've got FOUR grandsons none of whom play sports but LOVE video games!  Is there a Pokemon collection out there somewhere???  If not someone needs to make it!!!  :)

Thanks for helping us keep accountable Holly!  It really does help!!!

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Amy Jo wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:56 am
August total spending money accrued was $94.46 (+2 points rolled over).

I completed 23 single page layouts, 2 double page layouts, and 1 card for a total of 27.5 points or $20 +7.5 points to rollover to September.

NEW TOTAL: $114.46 (+7.5 pts.)

I didn't meet my goal of kill a kit last month but I did meet the goal of adding another $20 to my total!

My goal this month is to kill a kit...I need to get going to meet that yearly goal! I'm also setting the goal to use up a sticker sheet. Much like collection kits, I have so many with only 2 or 3 pieces left. I just need to remember to use them!

My rules for earning spending money:

1. No Spending in February, June, or October
2. I'll earn $10 to spend for every 10 layouts. (Cards count as 1/2 of a layout and Double Page layouts count as 2.)
3. I'll earn $5 for every sticker sheet or embellishment package I use up.
4. I'll earn $10 for every kit I kill. My goal is to kill 4 this year. (I have set and failed to reach this goal in the past but I am really close to killing a couple of kits so I feel good about achieving this goal in 2024!) - 1 down, 3 to go!!

AmyJo- you go, Girl! ☺️ LOVE that you're busting your stash, AND hitting your spending goals! It's REALLY fantastic that you've completed so many projects, and added $ to your spending budget!
I ALSO love that you're trying to kill kits and I bet you get those stickers used soon! 😉

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

blbabe1234 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:42 pm
I think I did pretty good. I hadn't bought anything until last week...when another place to shop...had a FLASH SALE of..DOGGIE scrapbook papers/stickers/die cuts. HELLO!!! I got 3 collection paper packs, along with die cuts. I wanted free ship, so I tossed in school die cuts too, because, hey why not? With 4 nephews and 2 currently in school, I NEED THEM!!

On the scrappy front, I got 18 pages done and bashed a bunch of Christmas stash! Granted, it was the PhotoPlay Muttcracker collection, but hey, that's still bashing!

This month, I hope to (1) not buy anything; and (2) continue bashing stash. I still would like to at least finish Christmas 2021.

Good stuff here, Brandy! 😁 You certainly needed the doggie AND school themed stuff! ☺️
Way to go getting so many pages done, and bashing that Christmas collection! ☺️ It ALL counts! ☺️
Loving your goals, too! Very specific! ☺️
Thanks for playing along with us again this month! ☺️ Good luck with your goals! ☺️

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

GinniG wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:15 am
WOW Cherries!!!  Sounds like we all did fairly well on our stash bashing!!!  I just looked at my 100 pieces of paper total for August and OMG!  I not only reached my SECOND set of 100 sheets I have 38 to continue with on my way to 300 sheets of paper!!!!!!!  NO WONDER my paper stack is looking a bit thinner these days!  Of course I STILL have 3 shelves for the greens and blues, and 2 for the reds!!!  (I have one of the single tall racks they use in the stores.)  So I'm doing well on busting my stash! 

As for spending I splurged on the Fall Cherry Box.  OMG what a STEAL that was!  And I can see myself sending along some things with my monthly card exchanges too.  LOVE doing that!  :) 

I've won 3 gift certificates so far between July and today's announced winners so that more than covers my shipping costs!  I may just HAVE to buy something...  I'm hoping I can hold off till Black Friday though.  :)  There's a boy line that I have been eyeing since I've been asking for one just like it for YEARS...  Might just have to splurge on it since I've got FOUR grandsons none of whom play sports but LOVE video games!  Is there a Pokemon collection out there somewhere???  If not someone needs to make it!!!  :)

Thanks for helping us keep accountable Holly!  It really does help!!!

Ginni- YES! ALL the Cherries have been amazing in helping to keep this challenge going! It helps me to be accountable to someone other than myself lol! I'm DEFINITELY inspired! 😁
I LOVE that you have been busting so MUCH stash!! When you're using that MUCH, replenishing is a MUST!! ☺️☺️
I LOVE that you've FINALLY FOUND a boy line that suits your needs!! ☺️ I bet if you Google Pokemon scrapbook paper there might be something out there! Lol we never know! 😂
I completely understand about off til Black Friday; but again, THAT boy line!! 😂☺️ Sometimes, a splurge is a must, which brings me to: the fall cherry box!! How cool that there's so much goodness in there for you! ☺️ The boxes are a GREAT deal, too! THAT is some smart spending!
☺️
Thanks for playing along here! Busting some stash and smart spending is fun!! ☺️

Birgit55~Chickadee

Cherry Berry

I'm pleased as punch to say that I met my August goal of not spending any money on crafty goods.  I just met my goal to make 10 cards, but missed my goal by 4 for sending 10 cards.  I used up some printed cardstock that has been in my stash for years, so that was a bonus win!   August was a super busy month, but I can't even recount what I did. Lot's of babysitting my sweet little "C" and spending time in the flower gardens.  Anyway, August just flew by.    
My goal for September remains the same. * "No spend September"  *Make 10 cards  *Send 10 Cards
1 user liked this post:

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Birgit55 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:27 am
I'm pleased as punch to say that I met my August goal of not spending any money on crafty goods.  I just met my goal to make 10 cards, but missed my goal by 4 for sending 10 cards.  I used up some printed cardstock that has been in my stash for years, so that was a bonus win!   August was a super busy month, but I can't even recount what I did. Lot's of babysitting my sweet little "C" and spending time in the flower gardens.  Anyway, August just flew by.    
My goal for September remains the same. * "No spend September"  *Make 10 cards  *Send 10 Cards

Birgi! I swore that I replied to you, but it doesn't seem like it made I to the boards?! (Ooops!)
I wanted to thank you for continuing this challenge with us! Sharing your goals and process help us; DEFINITELY helps me! 😉 
I LOVE that you've been using up older papers in your stash! I'm glad to hear that you're older stuff is STILL bringing joy! (I know mine is!)
ALso, I'm impressed, too, because making cards AND sending them is DEFINITELY something I NEED to do MORE of!  :clap: :biggrin:
Please keep sharing your plans with us!  :greenwinkb: ​​​​​ :biggrin:
1 user liked this post:

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

JUST a quick update/confession!
I honestly don't KNOW where this month has flown off to! I haven't met many of my crafting goals; I've been focusing on making simple page kits (JUST papers, photos and notes), and LOTS of journaling - some of that being art journaling! 
I wanted to come in here and say that I went ahead and took advantage of the free shipping sale!!
I got two stencils, which I'm sure to use MANY times, AND the paper pack that I've been wanting! (Hello gorgeous Pretty Little Studio papers that I have needed my whole life!) LOL these amazing papers remind me of paper that I once coveted but regret not buying. I used cherry points and a gift card for another discount, and am proud of myself for waiting for a good sale!
I wanted to share this with you, DCs, because I NEEDED to hold myself accountable. EVEN though I haven't met my crafty goals, I deserve the treat! 😊 I've been WAY better at smart shopping these past two years - THIS challenge group has helped me immensely! I have been buying less impulsively, but ALSO less of the things I don't REALLY NEED! (That is, I haven't been buying oodles of stickers, embellishments, stamps, etc... while there's a wish list a mile long, I've taken a LOT of (mental) inventory of what I have. Which is TONS and TONS! 😂 
I've completed tons of layouts this past year, so I'm okay with having a slower month. Getting back into working has been taking up more time than I would like, which is maybe another reason that I decided to treat myself. 
I JUST wanted to share because I know we sometimes have similar experiences. I've been better about using what's in my stash, but I deserved a no-guilt splurge. 🤷🏻 
Thanks for helping me grow and evolve into a smarter spender, Dear Cherries! I'm ALWAYS inspired to use my stash, but compulsive shopping was a problem for me! Y'all rock! ❤️🍒😊

Birgit55~Chickadee

Cherry Berry

JollyHollyScraps wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:20 pm
I honestly don't KNOW where this month has flown off to! I haven't met many of my crafting goals; I've been focusing on making simple page kits (JUST papers, photos and notes), and LOTS of journaling - some of that being art journaling! 
I wanted to come in here and say that I went ahead and took advantage of the free shipping sale!!
I got two stencils, which I'm sure to use MANY times, AND the paper pack that I've been wanting! (Hello gorgeous Pretty Little Studio papers that I have needed my whole life!) LOL these amazing papers remind me of paper that I once coveted but regret not buying. I used cherry points and a gift card for another discount, and am proud of myself for waiting for a good sale!
I wanted to share this with you, DCs, because I NEEDED to hold myself accountable. EVEN though I haven't met my crafty goals, I deserve the treat! 😊 I've been WAY better at smart shopping these past two years - THIS challenge group has helped me immensely! I have been buying less impulsively, but ALSO less of the things I don't REALLY NEED! (That is, I haven't been buying oodles of stickers, embellishments, stamps, etc... while there's a wish list a mile long, I've taken a LOT of (mental) inventory of what I have. Which is TONS and TONS! 😂 
I've completed tons of layouts this past year, so I'm okay with having a slower month. Getting back into working has been taking up more time than I would like, which is maybe another reason that I decided to treat myself. 
I JUST wanted to share because I know we sometimes have similar experiences. I've been better about using what's in my stash, but I deserved a no-guilt splurge. 🤷🏻 
Thanks for helping me grow and evolve into a smarter spender, Dear Cherries! I'm ALWAYS inspired to use my stash, but compulsive shopping was a problem for me! Y'all rock! ❤️🍒😊
Holly, you are such a dear soul!  You don't need to justify treating yourself once in a while.  Free shipping is hard to resist, and you've done so well holding yourself accountable for so long.  I love this challenge thread because it's helped me be more mindful of my own tendency to click that "add to cart" button.  It's hard to keep up with all the new releases from all the companies we know and love.  I have friends that are able to buy everything upon first glance and sometimes I feel like I wish I could do the same without the guilt but my pocketbook just isn't that deep.  You've helped me overcome that, so I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your commitment and for helping people like me see that we're all in different boats and we all must make our own journey that God has set before us.  Enjoy those new stencils and papers!! 💕

1 user liked this post:

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Birgit55 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:53 am
JollyHollyScraps wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:20 pm
Holly, you are such a dear soul!  You don't need to justify treating yourself once in a while.  Free shipping is hard to resist, and you've done so well holding yourself accountable for so long.  I love this challenge thread because it's helped me be more mindful of my own tendency to click that "add to cart" button.  It's hard to keep up with all the new releases from all the companies we know and love.  I have friends that are able to buy everything upon first glance and sometimes I feel like I wish I could do the same without the guilt but my pocketbook just isn't that deep.  You've helped me overcome that, so I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your commitment and for helping people like me see that we're all in different boats and we all must make our own journey that God has set before us.  Enjoy those new stencils and papers!! 💕

You're Soo sweet, Birgi! ☺️
I love what you said about our boats and journey! I like the idea of  waving and cheering each other on! ☺️ Having DCs join in with me helps me stay accountable to myself, too! 
I was having sooo MUCH trouble keeping my spending in line when this challenge first came along! I was shopping like I could afford to buy it ALL!😂 😂 😂
I have to say, I LOVE all my supplies, but I'm VERY happy reining it in! Because: USING the supplies is key! 😂 Who knew?! 😂 😂 😂 

1 user liked this post:

Return to “Contests & Challenges”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee