Get up to 3 FREE GIFTS with purchase → See details
Plus, save 20% or more on all Fall and Halloween products!

Christi S.

Cherry Bing

July 2016 PAPER PIECING challenge
Hi everyone!

Welcome to my challenge!  This is my first-ever time hosting a challenge, so bear with me if I forget something. Also, because this is a new challenge, this posting will be kind of long, as I am explaining how do do this as well.  I often look through my stash for the "perfect" accent for my pages.  Many times, what I have in mind, I don't have or they don't make.  So, I make my own. I have been paper piecing my own elements for years now, and it's remarkably easy.  All you need is a pattern, scissors, paper, and adhesive.  It's also nice to have a black pen as well, but not necessary.  Here are some examples of paper piecings I've done. (Forgive my early-years scrapping style!)

This was my first one - I LOVE Roo from Winnie the Pooh, and I saw the drawing in a coloring book and had to add it to this page of my nephew.  Here, I really think the black pen adds a lot.
Image      Image
Then I made this cute little phone toy from the 70s or so.  He's playing with it in the photos.
Image  Image  Image
I have also made paper piecings for characters at Disney and Nickelodeon. I've recreated signs and monuments.  I absolutely love making these paper piecings.

Image  Image  Image

Thanks for reading all of this so far!  Here comes the challenge!

My challenge for you is to make your own paper piecing - only it does NOT need to be elaborate. In fact, the goal is to make a SIMPLE paper piecing - to give you just a taste of what you can do.  (And what lies ahead in future challenges!)  Do a ball, a flower, a jack-o-lantern, an ornament, a bucket, a leaf, a sun, etc.  - something with a simple shape.  Here are some examples:

Image    Image     Image

Here's what you do:  Find a coloring book page or a clip art image (or even a true-to-life image) and print it out.  (You may want to print several copies if there is a lot of detail.)
Image Image  Image  Image
Cut out each section of the image and then trace onto colored cardstock. (be aware that you should cut through the middle of thick black outlines so that the pieces fit together better.  Some coloring pages have really thick black outlines.)  When you get more comfortable, you may be able to cut out the cardstock while holding the pattern and cutting both at once - it saves a step. 
Assemble the colored pieces together like a puzzle and adhere to a background (either your page or a separate paper). Outline if desired. 

The Rules:
1.  Create a layout, card, or project using a simple paper piecing as a page element.
1.  You must have at least 3 pieces to your paper piecing.  (On that phone above, the whites of the eyes are cut outs as well as the blues.)
2.  Open to paper scrappers, card makers, crafters, and digital scrappers (must do it hybrid - after all, it's PAPER piecing)
3.  You may enter as many times as you'd like.
4.  You may combine with any July challenge that allows it.
5.  You may not use a die cutter or machine or paper punches to cut out any pieces - all pieces must be hand-cut.
6.  Due 11:59 pm on July 31, 2016.

Questions?  Please ask!  I can't wait to see what you make!

Christi

~~~~~~~~~~~

Christi_S

Totals for 2016
     Layouts 33
     Cards 42

Totals for 2015
     Layouts 299, Cards 331, Mini Books 5

joannie

Bowl Full of Cherries

Re: July 2016 PAPER PIECING challenge
I haven't done this in like forever!! Great challenge Christi!!!  I love all your paper piecing on your layouts!
- joannie

Image Image ImageImageImage

karensay

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Sounds like a fun challenge.
Karen in SC
2-page, multi-photo scrapper

ncokely

Cherry Cola

Nice job explaining everything! Great challenge!!
[img]file:///C:/Users/jscokely/Documents/design%20team%20banner.png[/img]~Nancy~
Scrapbooking began in the Bible Ps. 78:3-4
Personal best-31 LO's completed 6/2010
Image Image ImageImage

Yankeegirl

Cherry Cola

What a fun revival of an earlier scrapbooking technique, Christi!  I haven't done this in years, either, and I am looking forward to giving it a go!
I am running away from my responsibilities,
and it feels good!

Kathy

Image  Image  Image Image  Image      

stateless

Cherry Garcia

I've never done this before... great challenge idea!!
- Valerie/stateless

average_kim

Cherry Cropper

Awesome challenge, Christi! I've don't this with a coloring book image of the pigs from Angry Birds, but I traced them onto white paper instead of copying them. I don't remember why i didnt make a copy now ...

Anyway, one question, can we use stamps for the image and paper piece that?
Kim

Image Image  

Christi S.

Cherry Bing

average_kim wrote:Awesome challenge, Christi! I've don't this with a coloring book image of the pigs from Angry Birds, but I traced them onto white paper instead of copying them. I don't remember why i didnt make a copy now ...

Anyway, one question, can we use stamps for the image and paper piece that?
as long as it produces a paper piecing with at least 3 pieces and is hand cut, it's fine.

thanks for asking!
christi
~~~~~~~~~~~

Christi_S

Totals for 2016
     Layouts 33
     Cards 42

Totals for 2015
     Layouts 299, Cards 331, Mini Books 5

sherelm

Cherry Jubilee

I love to make my own paper piecings, even with everything out there, it's your original!  Thanks for doing this challenge and great to see there's more months to come. 

Deanna13

A Cherry on Top

You always have such clever paper piecings, Christi! I hope to try this. I haven't done any in many, many years.
Image Image ImageImage

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

Great challenge Christi! And your examples are all great!

ImageImage Image Image  

1scrappymom

Cherry Garcia

What a cool challenge!
Shannon
My Blog -->  BlinnsBlog
Instagram --> @onescrappymom71

emmapaige

Cherry Addict

Fun challenge - I was never very good at paper piecing but if I find time, I'll give it a try!  Cute samples, Christi.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

blbabe1234

Cherry Bark

I used to paper piece all the time before I got my cricut! Fun challenge
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   Image Image

1scrappymom

Cherry Garcia

Here's one for me.  I made the paper-pieced lanyard
Shannon
My Blog -->  BlinnsBlog
Instagram --> @onescrappymom71

suewho372

Cherry Jubilee

Great challenge! I love your examples, and you explained it so well! Thanks for the challenge
Susan

blbabe1234

Cherry Bark

Before I got my Cricut in 2012, I used to use the Paper Piecing templates that you'd find in every Scrapbooks, Etc magazine. Kind of worked out that I kept them! AND they did a doggie one!

Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   Image Image

joannie

Bowl Full of Cherries

I made a very simple sun on this layout!! Fun new Challenge Christi!

I combined with the Manufacturer Challenge!
- joannie

Image Image ImageImageImage

Yankeegirl

Cherry Cola

Here's my page.  I used a clip art photo of Mowgli and Bagheera, enlarged it, and then used it as my pattern to cut out the figures. I used red, flesh, dark grey, light grey, and black cardstocks to create this paper pieced embellishment, along with some colored pens to accentuate certain features.  Thanks for the inspiration to do this!  Somewhat tedious but lots of fun!
I combined with the Disney challenge this month (using Disney elements in my title).

Image     Image

I am running away from my responsibilities,
and it feels good!

Kathy

Image  Image  Image Image  Image      

shoorn

Cherry Cola

This one is a pretty simple one - hope that's okay. 

Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

Image ImageImage   Image

Return to “Contests & Challenges”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee