Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

scrapperqueen

Bowl Full of Cherries

First Birthday gift ideas please
I'm looking for some fun suggestions for a special gift for my first grandson's first birthday. His folks are having a party to celebrate his February 12th birthday so I've got a month to come up with something amazing. :)

deerewife

Cherry Jubilee

Re: First Birthday gift ideas please
Little People always make great gifts :)

Also those story books where you can record yourself reading the story are really neat. I wish we had those before my mil had passed away.

He shares a birthday with my oldest - who will be 10!
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)

3 Pals

Cherry Bomb

oohh I am so glad you posted this! DGD turns one on 2/3 and I too need ideas! gosh Christmas was bad enough! My brain still hurts! She loved The Leap Frog Scout (or Violet but older sister already had that) Toys R US had it at a reasonable price. Now I need some ideas!
ImageImage Image
Ann

ernstem

Cherry Cola

I always consider books to be a fabulous choice. A small collection of what can be enjoyed now and a few others for when the child is a tad older. Same idea with clothing and other toys. It was great to be able to put away a few items in the closet to bring out throughout the next year. Puzzles with the red pegs or large wooden knobs for little hands. But then again my DH and I got excited when people gave us jars of baby food, diapers, and wipes too :-D

glo85cam

Cherry Jubilee

I took my granddaughter to Build-a-Bear for her first birthday. Except for the sound the machine makes when it's blowing the stuffing in, she really enjoyed it. You can order online, too if going is not an option.

I love the idea of the books that you can record, too.

I think all children need at least a few stuffed animals and a pile of books!
glo

[img:3st2c6tv]http://sbing.com/i/thumbnails/proudjubilee.gif[/img:3st2c6tv]

oceanbreezes423

Cherry Jubilee

I agree with the talking books or build a bear with your voice!
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image

SarahA

Chocolate Covered Cherry

My parents' first birthday gift tradition is a Radio Flyer wagon- the metal one with the big wheels. They have been great, much used gifts!

TraciL

Cherry Garcia

3 Pals wrote:oohh I am so glad you posted this! DGD turns one on 2/3 and I too need ideas! gosh Christmas was bad enough! My brain still hurts! She loved The Leap Frog Scout (or Violet but older sister already had that) Toys R US had it at a reasonable price. Now I need some ideas!

Does she have pierced ears yet? Or is she going to some day? We have purchased a nice simple pair of children's earings at jewelry stores before for special children in our lives. They aren't really that expensive and then we usually buy the little stuffed animal that holds the package.

TraciL

Cherry Garcia

what about one of those toys that helps them learn to crawl and then you can convert it to help them walk. I think they are like Little Tykes wagons or carts or something like that

milmomma

Chocolate Covered Cherry

My best friend here, her son turns 1 next month. I'm doing his 1st bday photo shoot. We are doing it at my home (so I have to clean), and I'm getting the small cake for the fun photos. :) I'm sure he won't care much about the pics, but I'm sure he'll like the cake. :-D

LyndaKay

Cherry Jubilee

I like Brit's idea. Maybe hire a photographer to capture the party pics. I also like the wagon idea. I see a lot of pics on Jules's blog of the twins in a wagon getting a neighborhood tour. But I'm not a granny yet, so I'm out of the loop.

Lynda

jnet

Sweet Cherry Pie

My daughter's favorite gift was a Bumble Ball. I checked Amazon and they have them (for children AND fur babies!)

If you really want to splurge, I'd go for the wagon and a Bumble Ball. For a book, you can't beat Pat the Bunny for a one year old.
Jeannette

JulesinParadise

Tiki Bar Mgr

We've been giving our grandsons small toys or one big one to share and then we get them US Savings bonds. They will have quite a little nest age when they turn 18. (we also give them to them for Christmas as well.). We use to be able to buy them at the bank but the gov't is going paperless on them now so you can order them on line.
Image WAS a TIKI BAR GIRL AND ALWAYS WILL BE

Janell

Cherry Cola

I was going to suggest either a wagon or something like this. My kids all loved them. When they were 1 they would have them inside and then when they were old enough we moved them outdoors and they could really make them move fast!

These are the types of gifts that keep on giving and LAST forever!!!

or a toddler swing:

We have one of these that the kids STILL use
Can you tell I am a Little Tykes fan! I loved getting presents that were more than just toys. HTH
-If it's scrappy it makes me happy!

TraciL

Cherry Garcia

we do savings bonds too - at first I wasn't crazy about the idea because it was dh's suggestion and I just have never done that but the parents seemed to really appreciate it.

I can tell you what she DIDN'T appreciate - stuffed animals.........she said it's the worst possible thing you can give someone else's child. (I think it was because they didn't have a lot of room for them)

1grandma

Cherry Addict

My dgs is turning one 2-12, so this is a timely thread. Thanks for all the ideas! And tomorrow is another dgs's birthday. He is turning 7. I am giving him $$$. That is what he wants and he already has tons of stuff.
Bibi

scrapperqueen

Bowl Full of Cherries

Great ideas all. I like the savings bond idea - I'll think on that. My son has a couple that were given to him as a child.

We have a Red Flyer Wagon that is part of the family. :)

I did get a Groupon for a photo session at JC Penney but I want something that little Linus can hold on to. I like the idea of a personalized puzzle and may look into that. I also love Melissa and Doug stuff.

This is so much fun! I love being a grandma!

Cherry Tart

Gloworms! Those are what my favorite first birthday gifts - because once they start to walk - they need to have a little light to go where they need to in the dark. Love it! I've been giving them out for about 30 years. I usually get them on Amazon.

debamas

Wild Cherry

I might look into those saving's bonds. I now have 12 grandchildren and buying gifts is not always and easy thing with the varying ages.

For the toddlers, I always enjoyed having a wagon. There are a lot of good options posted and all sound delightful!
Debbie

koala1966

Cherry Delight

Does he have a piggy bank yet? If not you could get him either one of a character he loves, or a nice sterling silver one and have it engraved. Other opportunities for something engraved are those keepsake boxes for their first lock of hair, their first tooth, etc.

Also, this is a great opportunity to start a tradition - something that you want to give him each year, like an ornament, or a glass (to create a set), a book (you could write in the front cover), a DVD (start him on Disney, or Peanuts, or Muppets, etc), or some kind of collectible.

Stuffed animals are not always a bad idea, I just gave my 9 mo old nephew Simba and my 2 year old nephew Buzz Lightyear and both they and my sister were thrilled.

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee