Get up to 3 FREE GIFTS with purchase → See details
Plus, save 20% or more on all Fall and Halloween products!

happayscrappay

Cherry Bing

Workout Wednesday - the heat is on!
It's tough when it's hot out to get that workout in. Go early in the morning (I run starting from before the sun comes up) or late in the evening (after 5pm)

So, what's new with you and the workout routine?

It's okay if you don't work out. But, feel free to encourage those who are trying their best to get some exercise or improve their health!
Hi! I'm Rachel
My Blog: Happay Scraps

ChrissyTina

Cherry Bing

Re: Workout Wednesday - the heat is on!
I'd like to start up again. It's amazing how rejuvenated you feel after a good workout. I love Zumba and may start ordering the videos and doing them at home instead of going to the gym. But I make it a point to walk and if I have the dog with me, I'll let him run and run with him for short bursts.

I don't live that close to Camp Pendleton so I can't take advantage of the free gym facilities on base and gym memberships out here can be expensive!
Chrissy

happayscrappay

Cherry Bing

so, let me tell you what's new with me.
I have registered for another half marathon and this one is a BiG deal to me. I'm running the St. Jude Children's Hospital fundraising half marathon. I have to raise $500 just to run. I'm running as part of a team and the team goal is $10,000. The race is in December in Memphis and I'm so excited. It runs through a bunch of historical sights but also through the St. Jude campus where the sick kids and their families sit to cheer you on. The team leader's wife told me she got the big old ugly cry going through there because it was just so special. I have been running to train for a local half marathon that runs by my house so I'll just tack this one on 8 weeks later :) Edited to add that the link to my fundraising page is in my signature if you are interested in supporting the cause. No pressure - it's a personal decision - but every cent helps a sick child.

I got some new running shoes so I have a back up pair. They are basically the same shoes as the pair I have but flatter at the heel and without the additional support. I ran in them this morning and even with the high humidity - I ran in fog - I was able to run almost at a race pace and complete a 5K in under 30 minutes.

I am hoping by the end of the week and the start of August I will have run 75 miles for the month.
Hi! I'm Rachel

happayscrappay

Cherry Bing

ChrissyTina wrote:I'd like to start up again. It's amazing how rejuvenated you feel after a good workout. I love Zumba and may start ordering the videos and doing them at home instead of going to the gym. But I make it a point to walk and if I have the dog with me, I'll let him run and run with him for short bursts.

I don't live that close to Camp Pendleton so I can't take advantage of the free gym facilities on base and gym memberships out here can be expensive!
I think our next dog will be a dog that can run with me!
Hi! I'm Rachel

ChrissyTina

Cherry Bing

happayscrappay wrote:so, let me tell you what's new with me.
I have registered for another half marathon and this one is a BiG deal to me. I'm running the St. Jude Children's Hospital fundraising half marathon. I have to raise $500 just to run. I'm running as part of a team and the team goal is $10,000. The race is in December in Memphis and I'm so excited. It runs through a bunch of historical sights but also through the St. Jude campus where the sick kids and their families sit to cheer you on. The team leader's wife told me she got the big old ugly cry going through there because it was just so special. I have been running to train for a local half marathon that runs by my house so I'll just tack this one on 8 weeks later :)

I got some new running shoes so I have a back up pair. They are basically the same shoes as the pair I have but flatter at the heel and without the additional support. I ran in them this morning and even with the high humidity - I ran in fog - I was able to run almost at a race pace and complete a 5K in under 30 minutes.

I am hoping by the end of the week and the start of August I will have run 75 miles for the month.

That's awesome, Rachel! And St. Jude's is a great cause.
Chrissy

evilqueen

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I don't exercise. Work is enough of a workout for me.
Here I come to save the day! Chas
I'm the crazy lizard lady
http://scrapinlizards.blogspot.com/

gonecamping

Cherry Garcia

Rachel, you are inspiring! I can't run, literally. I have tried, I pee my pants every time. Not pretty to be jogging down the street and have that happen. So I quit trying. I do love Zumba. I try to go twice a week. (I usually have to take a potty break at least twice during zumba) I know, TMI! But last week I added in kickboxing. all I can say is WOW, what a workout. This kickboxing class is a mixture of kickboxing and weightlifting. I wish it were more than once a week because I think I would go. I have lost a total of 5 pounds now in the last 2 weeks so my workouts must be working.
***Tanya***

JulesinParadise

Tiki Bar Mgr

E and I are alternating walking and riding our bikes. I did a 5k a couple of years ago and looking for another...St. Judes is a wonderful cause
Image WAS a TIKI BAR GIRL AND ALWAYS WILL BE

happayscrappay

Cherry Bing

Thanks Chrissy!

Remember - if you don't workout be supportive of those who do

And, you don't need to tell us that you don't work out. Honestly, that's fine if you don't want to. I'm not trying to pressure anyone into working out.
Hi! I'm Rachel

happayscrappay

Cherry Bing

gonecamping wrote:Rachel, you are inspiring! I can't run, literally. I have tried, I pee my pants every time. Not pretty to be jogging down the street and have that happen. So I quit trying. I do love Zumba. I try to go twice a week. (I usually have to take a potty break at least twice during zumba) I know, TMI! But last week I added in kickboxing. all I can say is WOW, what a workout. This kickboxing class is a mixture of kickboxing and weightlifting. I wish it were more than once a week because I think I would go. I have lost a total of 5 pounds now in the last 2 weeks so my workouts must be working.

Tanya, that's awesome! I'm so glad you found something that works for you! I hear you on the peeing your pants. Ok, true story - I'm sick - I have a disease that has no treatment and causes me to poop my pants. Literally - it has happened twice now and is super embarrassing to talk about. It hasn't happened for awhile now, which is a relief, but my biggest stress during races is that there won't be enough bathrooms or places to hide if it happens during a race. I enjoy running enough to deal with it. But, I know running isn't for everyone. You have to find what you enjoy. Alot of people seem to enjoy Zumba but that's really not for me. I can't get into it at all. Yoga either!
Hi! I'm Rachel

ChrissyTina

Cherry Bing

gonecamping wrote:Rachel, you are inspiring! I can't run, literally. I have tried, I pee my pants every time. Not pretty to be jogging down the street and have that happen. So I quit trying. I do love Zumba. I try to go twice a week. (I usually have to take a potty break at least twice during zumba) I know, TMI! But last week I added in kickboxing. all I can say is WOW, what a workout. This kickboxing class is a mixture of kickboxing and weightlifting. I wish it were more than once a week because I think I would go. I have lost a total of 5 pounds now in the last 2 weeks so my workouts must be working.

OOOooOOOh! Cardio kickboxing is soooooooo much fun! That's awesome that you're doing both!

JulesinParadise wrote:E and I are alternating walking and riding our bikes. I did a 5k a couple of years ago and looking for another...St. Judes is a wonderful cause

I love bike riding too! I think that's inspiring that you still do 5Ks Jules!
Chrissy

happayscrappay

Cherry Bing

JulesinParadise wrote:E and I are alternating walking and riding our bikes. I did a 5k a couple of years ago and looking for another...St. Judes is a wonderful cause

I bet there are tons of 5Ks where you live and some of them will be supporting really good causes. Hope you find one you are interested in.
I used to do the MS Walk for my brother who has MS but since he's a royal jerk, I can't bring myself to raise money for his illness any more. I'm glad to have found something that I can believe in and that is an inspiration to me.
Hi! I'm Rachel

averys_mom

Cherry Cola

I'm trying to get back into a workout routine, but things are so up in the air around here lately that it's hard. Dh bought me a new pair of Sketchers Shape-Ups Toners for walking and I LOVE them! I literally want to get a second pair to have as backup for when these wear out. The weather seems to be cooperating today, so I'm hoping that we can get out for a family walk after dinner tonight. I'd REALLY like to try Zumba, but I just don't have the money for it right now.

happayscrappay

Cherry Bing

averys_mom wrote:I'm trying to get back into a workout routine, but things are so up in the air around here lately that it's hard. Dh bought me a new pair of Sketchers Shape-Ups Toners for walking and I LOVE them! I literally want to get a second pair to have as backup for when these wear out. The weather seems to be cooperating today, so I'm hoping that we can get out for a family walk after dinner tonight. I'd REALLY like to try Zumba, but I just don't have the money for it right now.
try a video!

do you think the shoes are working for you? I have heard conflicting reports but didn't know anyone who had them
Hi! I'm Rachel

averys_mom

Cherry Cola

happayscrappay wrote:
averys_mom wrote:I'm trying to get back into a workout routine, but things are so up in the air around here lately that it's hard. Dh bought me a new pair of Sketchers Shape-Ups Toners for walking and I LOVE them! I literally want to get a second pair to have as backup for when these wear out. The weather seems to be cooperating today, so I'm hoping that we can get out for a family walk after dinner tonight. I'd REALLY like to try Zumba, but I just don't have the money for it right now.
try a video!

do you think the shoes are working for you? I have heard conflicting reports but didn't know anyone who had them
I haven't had them long enough to tell if they're really toning anything, but they are super cushy, which I love! And they help me walk more upright, which seems to help my back not to hurt so much after I've been walking for a while.

milmomma

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Lately I've not been doing as well. I have no car so we walk everywhere. Currently it's monsoon season though, so we come home soaking. I also need to get back into using my Nike + to track it all again. I'm still doing my push up/sit ups and have added the plank this week. The plank is evil some days. :)
I think it's great what you are walking for. :)

LyndaKay

Cherry Jubilee

I'm slowly exercising more, as I don't have a lot of energy lately. And I'm hoping besides some weight loss that I'll sleep better, too.

Lynda

scrapscot

Cherry Bing

It's been just so hot, even in the house, that I can't get motivated to even get on my recumbant bike. I'm hoping maybe I can start on Sunday. I was going to join the Y, but I had to borrow money from my 401k, (not to mention our insurance went up too) so now my paycheck is shorter each month so that's no longer an option. If Barb continues to get her social security check, I might be able to, but I'm going to wait and see what happens with this gov't mess.

One of the gyms here is having a special...$9.95 a month if you sign up between now and the 31st but again, I've got to make sure her check will keep coming before I in- vest in something like that.
Image Charlene

gonecamping

Cherry Garcia

I have thought about trying those. I try to get my dh to walk with me but he doesn't like walking. He loves to play basketball but he hurt his hip and has been in physical therapy for the last 6 weeks. He is 47 and the other day some friend in the store saw him and told him he walks like an old man. I told him he needs to start walking with me. The physical therapist told him as long as his legs aren't tired, he should walk.

I started doing Zumba at the community center here, it was fun and not expensive at all. I paid by the class. I wanted to go more than twice a week so I joined the gym. I love it.
***Tanya***

gonecamping

Cherry Garcia

I have been going to garage sales looking for a good bike. I would love to start riding my bike. I am 3 miles from work so I would rather do that on nice days than drive.
***Tanya***

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee