? for cat owners

Moderator: ACOT Employee

scraptag
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 567

? for cat owners

Post by scraptag »

If a 10 year old cat (with kitty aids) is pooping and peeing all the time, what could that mean?
deerewife
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 483

Re: ? for cat owners

Post by deerewife »

Do they have control over this or not? If not, it's not a good sign. If they do, it could be as simpler as a food change or as complicated at diabetes. I'd take him/her to the vet.
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)
killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

deerewife wrote:Do they have control over this or not? If not, it's not a good sign. If they do, it could be as simpler as a food change or as complicated at diabetes. I'd take him/her to the vet.

It's not normal so I have to agree a trip to the vet is a good idea if a diet change doesn't work. Another tip, a cheap cat or dog food over the long haul is not good for the animal. That doesn't mean you have to go to what a vet reccomends, just like us look for words you can read on the ingredients. I hate the term in rabbit feed, forage products. It means they can use least cost formulation in the feed. Least cost formulation at times can be a bad thing, meaning they use ingredients as fillers, change the meat, etc. Go to Petco or Pet's Smart and start reading ingredient labels. You quickly realize what a good food is for your cat. Then ease the transition to the new food and don't switch it suddenly.

I'm terrible at putting feed representatives on the spot about their feeds or pet rations. I've had the same two nutrition courses as a vet or any animal science major.
anazelia
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 803

Post by anazelia »

Is he/she also drinking a lot of water? Lost weight recently? My eldest cat dropped a ton of weight, drank water constantly and pee'd ALL THE TIME. Turns out it was diabetes. Serious, but can be stabilized.
Renthead10
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 15

Post by Renthead10 »

one of my cats had a problem with peeing where she couldnt control it and turned out to be bladder stones and she had them removed and has been fine since.
scraptag
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 567

Post by scraptag »

He is not dropping weight. So, I think I'm going to the pet store to buy some healthier food and give it in portions in the morning and evening and see if that helps. Right now, even though I have tried to train my dd to do this, she just fills the bowl and doesn't fill it again til it's empty. (I know, not good) So I think maybe if I actually give him a schedule he won't go so much.
PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Post by PezKat »

Even w/food available all the time the waste wouldn't be that much, unless you think he's eating way too much (like more than one bowlful a day). If waste consistency is normal then yeah, try a better food (do you feed wet &/or dry? Just dry is healthiest or do a mix, but not just wet and don't feed milk or people food). If not change then see the vet. If any other issues I'd see a vet soon regardless.
Image Image

Return to “General Talk”