anyone here a type II diabetic + overweight?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

TraciL
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 238

anyone here a type II diabetic + overweight?

Post by TraciL »

If so, do you have any successful weight loss tips? or diets?
wahoo_mom
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 195

Re: anyone here a type II diabetic + overweight?

Post by wahoo_mom »

You just described my mom. Right now, the only tip I have is to see a dietician. She just started seeing one and I really think it will help.
Heidi
Image ImageImageImage
deerewife
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 483

Post by deerewife »

I'm borderline. I need to get ahold of the personal trainer that I started working with over a year ago and then stopped when my appendix went. Nothing like procrastination.

For me, I just need to get moving and get some of this weight off. They keep telling me if I don't I'll need to start taking more drastic measures.
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)
imwickedwitch
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 545

Post by imwickedwitch »

How much overweight? Don't mean to get too personal but my suggestion would hinge on that information...
Becky

Image Image Image
TraciL
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 238

Post by TraciL »

imwickedwitch wrote:How much overweight? Don't mean to get too personal but my suggestion would hinge on that information...

Approx 60 lbs. I wear an insulin pump and I was farely non-compliant because I gain weight when I wear it or take shots. Basically I have been trying to shed weight and was slowly doing it but wasn't taking shots and my diabetes has been out of control and now I am starting to get diabetic neuropathy. I am very angry with myself right now but trying to wear my pump and get my blood sugar calmed down and as a result put about 15 lbs back on.

My dh just had gastric bypass in May and has lost over 100 lbs already and hasn't had an insulin shot since he left the hospital but my insurance doesn't cover/consider it at all and when I could have gone on his insurance I didn't weigh enough to qualify. We decided not to put me on his because it was soo expensive and I had talked to the bypass doc and he confirmed that I didn't qualify for the surgery.

We didn't know that I would gain the weight so fast or I would have just gone on it and we would have dealt with the $ somehow.

I tried nutrisystem and it helped with the blood sugar I just didn't lose weight and I am sick of spending the $ on it and eating the food. So I thought I would see if anyone here had the same issue.
imwickedwitch
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 545

Post by imwickedwitch »

SWAY2865 wrote:
imwickedwitch wrote:How much overweight? Don't mean to get too personal but my suggestion would hinge on that information...

Approx 60 lbs. I wear an insulin pump and I was farely non-compliant because I gain weight when I wear it or take shots. Basically I have been trying to shed weight and was slowly doing it but wasn't taking shots and my diabetes has been out of control and now I am starting to get diabetic neuropathy. I am very angry with myself right now but trying to wear my pump and get my blood sugar calmed down and as a result put about 15 lbs back on.

My dh just had gastric bypass in May and has lost over 100 lbs already and hasn't had an insulin shot since he left the hospital but my insurance doesn't cover/consider it at all and when I could have gone on his insurance I didn't weigh enough to qualify. We decided not to put me on his because it was soo expensive and I had talked to the bypass doc and he confirmed that I didn't qualify for the surgery.

We didn't know that I would gain the weight so fast or I would have just gone on it and we would have dealt with the $ somehow.

I tried nutrisystem and it helped with the blood sugar I just didn't lose weight and I am sick of spending the $ on it and eating the food. So I thought I would see if anyone here had the same issue.
You need a new doc. Just the fact that you are on an inulin pump should qualify you. Yes, there are BMI qualifications BUT if you have serious health concerns, it lowers the number you need. PM me. Maybe I can point you in a direction to help. GBP SAVED my life. It is not a miracle "cure" but gives you the ability to make permanent changes. AND it interferes with the absorbtion of sugar and thus helps control type 2. (NOT type 1)
Becky

Image Image Image
Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Post by Ayla »

The reason you gain weight with the insulin pump or taking your shots is that your body is finally functioning the way it is supposed to...the insulin helps the glucose (or blood sugar) get into the cells so they can function properly. Without the insulin, no target organ (meaning the heart, the lungs, the kidneys, the muscles, and yes, the nerves) can function right. It comes down to an answer that is simple and yet difficult....you are eating too many calories. It's that age old issue that to lose weight, you have to burn more energy (calories) than you take in. Increase activity, decrease intake. Sounds simple, yet I know it's so tough (or I wouldn't weigh what I do either).

I don't mean to be negative, but I lost my brother to noncompliance with diabetes. Granted, he was a juvenile diabetic and non compliant for many years, but he went thru a lot he didn't have to go thru. I really hate seeing anyone else go thru things that aren't necessary because of not following the regime properly. Use the pump, keep your blood sugars under control so that the neuropathy (and other potential complications) don't progress, and see a dietician. Be strict with it....write down EVERYTHING you eat. You CAN do it!
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

TheFiberLady
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 266

Post by TheFiberLady »

walk, walk, walk

don't forget your veggies, replace those sugary snacks with nuts (9 almonds will do the trick)

stop eating in front of the television. studies prove you eat almost 2x as much mindless eating your way through a tv program

do not serve "buffet" style. keep the food on the counter, eat whatever the portions size says it is. by keeping the bowls of everything off the table you won't tend to overeat.

eat a salad with every meal...my mom lost 50# by doing that and walking a mile each day.

eat white cheeses instead of yellow cheeses, yellow cheeses have a higher fat content...this helped my dad lose weight

stay away from chips and pop

stay away from deep fried

I once lost 26# in a month to fit into my wedding dress...i DID NOT exercise one bit. i ate white cheese, limited my pop intake to 3 sodas a week, ate margarine instead of butter and miracle whip, cut out chips, cut out deep fried foods, and ate 2 salads a day. i started out with 2 pieces of french toast and 2 sausages every morning with a big glass of orange juice....it's the chips, pop and junk foods that get you....most of this diet was included with my dads instructions on what to and not to eat.
Wendy.....love my puppies!!!!!
I made the President's list..wahooo!!!!
milmomma
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 67

Post by milmomma »

One thing I think is important is make sure you are getting your daily water. It will help you feel more full and not over eat. Plus it will help you have more energy. :)
tbrumley
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 2

Post by tbrumley »

Me! I just got diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. I've actually lost a total of 65lbs. Some people may look down on what I did, but I've been struggling with my weight my entire life. At my heaviest, I weighed 263lbs. Right now I weigh 198, so I still have another 40-50 lbs to lose. Anyways, I started losing weight when my doctor asked me if I needed help losing weight. It was the first time a doctor has ever offered help. He prescribed me an appetite supressent called Adipex. I started eating about the same amount of food as my 4yr old. I lost 16lbs my first month. When I hit a plateau, only losing about 5lbs in a month, I started taking Zumba classes. Fun! Fun! Fun! I still have a ways to go, but my doctor says my diabetes is well controlled and I feel a million times better.

Return to “General Talk”