Get an extra 10% off everything with code FALL10
PLUS get a free $5 gift card with a $50 purchase with code FREE5

Ayla

Cherry Addict

Re: Jobs?
happayscrappay wrote:I'm a chemistry professor. I specialize in chemistry education (the training of future teachers at all grades K-12 and professional development of middle school and high school teachers), forensic chemistry education, women in science, and laboratory instruction. I'm at a primarily undergraduate institution but I do have some masters students in forensics that work with me. I'm the chemistry club advisor and I just got a grant that will fund a science night for the community and summer science camps for disadvantaged children in the area. It's a stressful, rewarding, challenging job. And, I never wanted to do anything else.

I'm also a mom and the youngest just ran downstairs naked so I better go find out what is going on.
I had the weirdest chemistry instructor in nursing school. I could write volumes about her oddities, but one day, she walked into class with a huge balloon. We thought "wow, Annie's celebrating spring!" as it really was the first day of spring. During the course of her lecture, she lit the end of a wooden yardstick on fire from the bunsen burner and exploded the balloon!! It wasn't filled with helium...it was filled with hydrogen. Knew in an instant just why the Hindenburg burned so fast! I will never forget that image. That and the process of osmotic pressure are probably the biggest things i got out of that class.
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

Ayla

Cherry Addict

AmyTeets wrote:Well, I'm a freelance graphic designer from home and mom to two boys and wife to a Marine. I design for paper manufactures when/if they need me. On the weekends I work for Our365 we take newborn photos in hospitals ;)
Do you go to more than one hospital with that? On an average day, how many babies do you photograph?
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

Ayla

Cherry Addict

lastonehom wrote:I'm a computer programmer - I have flexible hours, but mostly a 7:30 to 4 type day. My kids are grown, but still in college, my hubby works shift so my work days are usually scheduled around someone elses day/activities!
Wow! There are a lot of computer people here. No wonder you all negotiate this site so easily!
 Image Image

Ayla

Cherry Addict

countrygirlin_md wrote:I work full-time as an auditor for the parking contractor at our local airport (the company I work for is contracted through the State of Maryland). My hours are 8:30 to 4:30 Tuesday thru Saturday and the holidays I have off are Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. Our contract is up in January of next year but the company does have a bid on the new contract (keeping my fingers crossed that we get the new contract or that I get picked with the new company. I do volunteer with the school to do stuff at home as needed. I also clean the office my BF works in once a week. Plus I am currently looking into possibly becoming an Ippity stamp representative.
I'm not familiar with Ippity stamps....share more?
 Image Image

Ayla

Cherry Addict

Wyknotwyme wrote:This has been an interesting thread to read.

I work for a regional insurance (a 'little' but growing larger) company as an Underwriting Technician in the Commercial Habitational Division. Basically I do data entry and work with the underwritring staff to get all the proper information for new business applications.

I made the change from the Personal Lines Policies about 2.5 years ago. n the Personal lines policies I did New business policy data entry and customer service (gosh I don't miss that phone line and the tethered phone cord).

Prior to this company ( 13+ years back) I worked for the "BIG" insurance company in Life & Health doing billing/banking & customer service.

I am currently a Self Study student taking classes in the insurace tract. Having recently completed my Certificate of Insurance and currently working towards my Associates in Insurance Services.
I have worked with the health care industry, and with Michigan's auto insurance regarding personal injury as a case manager. Definitely helped my understanding of insurance....has helped understand my own now!
 Image Image

Ayla

Cherry Addict

ajmaluck wrote:What a great thread!
Well, before I started my own home daycare two years ago, I worked for a national inventory service company that did inventories for retail companies. I had been there for 20 yrs. Yeah, I started back when I was in highschool. It was a great part time job. I tried college, but really didn't want to do want my dad wanted to so I quit. Worked several retail places over the years. Most favorite was The Disney Store. At one point in my life I actually had a "real" 8-4 job working in the accounting department of a property management company. Once I had my first child, I knew that life was over. I have never looked back! So I have been a SAHM with part time jobs over the last 12 yrs. Decided that none of those part time retail jobs was giving me what I wanted most, time with my kids. When my neighbor said "why don't you try home childcare?" I said " sure if you are". So we work together with another neighbor during mornings rotating between each others houses. We do our own version of preschool for the kids. Some days I can't stand being home all the time, but then I really wouldn't change what I have. Now my baby is starting K this year, so it will be different watching others kids without one of my own here with me. Not sure how I am going to handle that. :( I would like to someday go back to school and maybe get a teaching degree of something. Until then, I will just stay home!
I was lucky enough to have some great day care providers when my kids were young...I always tried to treat them well. I consider them an extension of my parenting, and figured if I treated my day care provider well, they'd treat my children well!
 Image Image

Ayla

Cherry Addict

denisescrap wrote:I have 5 kids 4,6,7,16,19 and I work 40+ hrs a week as a cake deco. for Vons my hrs are crazy 2am-11am and 12-9am never get to sleep much....
I believe that sleep is highly over rated! lol I don't sleep well either...but I just figure that's what my life is right now, and until my kids are older, I'll keep the hours I have. And my kids are 8, 9, 11, 15, 19, and 21, although the 19 and 21 yr olds are out of the house and on their own now.
 Image Image

Scraprat

Cherry Cola

I have been a registered nurse for 35 years, 33 of those years as a pediatric nurse. I worked at Shriners Burns Hospital for Children in Cincinnati for 22-1/2 years. The past 4 years I've been a phone triage nurse at a pediatricians' office. The senior doc was my son's pediatrician 30 years ago! I work part-time, mostly 7:45 Am to 6 PM. Twice a month I do a noon to finish (sometimes 6 PM during flu season more like 10 PM!). I work every other Saturday, half a day. Right now, I work as much as I'm able through my chemo treatments. Luckily I have awonderful manager who is very supportive and understanding!
Take care of you,
Deb

Ayla

Cherry Addict

Scraprat wrote:I have been a registered nurse for 35 years, 33 of those years as a pediatric nurse. I worked at Shriners Burns Hospital for Children in Cincinnati for 22-1/2 years. The past 4 years I've been a phone triage nurse at a pediatricians' office. The senior doc was my son's pediatrician 30 years ago! I work part-time, mostly 7:45 Am to 6 PM. Twice a month I do a noon to finish (sometimes 6 PM during flu season more like 10 PM!). I work every other Saturday, half a day. Right now, I work as much as I'm able through my chemo treatments. Luckily I have awonderful manager who is very supportive and understanding!
As much as I love kids, peds is the one area I really don't think I could ever work. The kids are fine....it's the parents and stupid things they do that would seriously try my patience!
 Image Image

Ayla

Cherry Addict

Scraprat wrote:I have been a registered nurse for 35 years, 33 of those years as a pediatric nurse. I worked at Shriners Burns Hospital for Children in Cincinnati for 22-1/2 years. The past 4 years I've been a phone triage nurse at a pediatricians' office. The senior doc was my son's pediatrician 30 years ago! I work part-time, mostly 7:45 Am to 6 PM. Twice a month I do a noon to finish (sometimes 6 PM during flu season more like 10 PM!). I work every other Saturday, half a day. Right now, I work as much as I'm able through my chemo treatments. Luckily I have awonderful manager who is very supportive and understanding!
Out of curiosity, may I ask where you went to nursing school? I am a vanishing breed...a diploma grad, from Butterworth Hospital School of Nursing in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
 Image Image

amberella

Cherry Bomb

gine wrote:I work at as the head of scrapbooking at a scrapbook/gift/invitation store, I'm also their design team and kit coordinator and I teach classes when I have left over time. I also work for a friend of mine at his warehouse and food plant where he makes and distributes Norwegian and Scandinavian food for the US, I also help him with cooking and making platters when he does catered events.

This sounds like the best job in the universe. I'm sooo jealous!!

As for me, I'm a full time student, and will hopefully be working in the art gallery on campus part time next year (interview is tomorrow, but I think she wants to hire me already!). This is my senior year, and after I'm through with undergrad the current plan is to go to either Graduate School for counseling or clinical psychology, or Law School. I can't quite decide yet, they're all very interesting to me, as Psychology plays a role in all of the professions involved in those fields. I guess I can't quite decide what I want to be when I grow up, yet, but will hopefully be able to decide within the next six months. (and I won't lie - I'm scared... :D )
AmberImageImage
ImageImage

icesk8abc

Cherry Blossom

[/quote]What is UIL?[/quote]

Sorry, it is officially the governing body for public school competition. They set forth the rules regarding eligibility (they made up "no pass, no play". For elementary students, this is academic competition only. They also govern sports. Each year our district has a UIL competition where students compete in different areas. Winners can then compete at the state level. In middle and high school they also can compete at the national level (think Academic Decathalon).
Jen

Karenscraps

Cherry Berry

Ayla wrote:
countrygirlin_md wrote:I work full-time as an auditor for the parking contractor at our local airport (the company I work for is contracted through the State of Maryland). My hours are 8:30 to 4:30 Tuesday thru Saturday and the holidays I have off are Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. Our contract is up in January of next year but the company does have a bid on the new contract (keeping my fingers crossed that we get the new contract or that I get picked with the new company. I do volunteer with the school to do stuff at home as needed. I also clean the office my BF works in once a week. Plus I am currently looking into possibly becoming an Ippity stamp representative.
I'm not familiar with Ippity stamps....share more?
Ippity stamps are part of Unity stamps. I am still doing some reading up on all the info and I am sure I will be asking one of my Facebook friends some questions. I will keep everyone posted with what I decide.
Karen Y.

I haven't been an active paper crafter for a while and want to get back in the swing of things!

Kitkat137

Sweet Cherry Pie

I work full-time an editorial assistant for a political science based publisher in DC. I wake up at 6 and get my son ready for daycare then commute 90 mins each way to work. I work 9 to 5 typically. I get home about 630 and feed/play with my baby. He goes to bed at 8 which gives me 2 good hours a night to myself. I scrap mostly on weekends and once a weeknight typically. I used to volunteer with Girl Scouts and other community stuff but haven't since I moved and had the baby.
Kat >^..^<

Image Image Image

jannyf

Cherry Bing

This is a great thread idea. I've really enjoyed reading about everyone's careers!

I'm the Business Development Manager for a private, woman-owned staffing company. This is a fancy term for Sales Person!!!! Actually, I am definitely not the type of hard-core, pushy salesperson. Instead, I look at my job as marketing and relationship building. I'm fortunate that I've been very involved in our local HR community for many, many years, so I have a good relationship with many other HR people, which makes my job a bit easier!

I'm also fortunate in that the owner of the company lets me work from home. The market I concentrate on is the county where I live and the county south of me. The office is 30 minutes in the opposite direction, and since I'm suppose to be out & about in the market, there is no point in my driving to an office, just to turn around & get back in my car! I do love the flexibility but I have a strong sense of work ethic, so I'm careful not to take advantage.

So I typically work M-F; 8-5. But, there are times when I have networking events at night, but I try to keep those to a minimum. I love all the Me time I can get so I can run, bike and go fishing with DH!
- Jan

Ayla

Cherry Addict

icesk8abc wrote:
Sorry, it is officially the governing body for public school competition. They set forth the rules regarding eligibility (they made up "no pass, no play". For elementary students, this is academic competition only. They also govern sports. Each year our district has a UIL competition where students compete in different areas. Winners can then compete at the state level. In middle and high school they also can compete at the national level (think Academic Decathalon).
What state are you in? I don't recall ever hearing anything like that in Michigan.
 Image Image

Ayla

Cherry Addict

Kitkat137 wrote:I work full-time an editorial assistant for a political science based publisher in DC. I wake up at 6 and get my son ready for daycare then commute 90 mins each way to work. I work 9 to 5 typically. I get home about 630 and feed/play with my baby. He goes to bed at 8 which gives me 2 good hours a night to myself. I scrap mostly on weekends and once a weeknight typically. I used to volunteer with Girl Scouts and other community stuff but haven't since I moved and had the baby.
Wow...3 hours to commute every day. Don't think I'd handle that very well. It takes me 20 minutes to get to work, and that's only if I hit every red light on the way.
 Image Image

Ayla

Cherry Addict

jannyf wrote:This is a great thread idea. I've really enjoyed reading about everyone's careers!

I'm the Business Development Manager for a private, woman-owned staffing company. This is a fancy term for Sales Person!!!! Actually, I am definitely not the type of hard-core, pushy salesperson. Instead, I look at my job as marketing and relationship building. I'm fortunate that I've been very involved in our local HR community for many, many years, so I have a good relationship with many other HR people, which makes my job a bit easier!

I'm also fortunate in that the owner of the company lets me work from home. The market I concentrate on is the county where I live and the county south of me. The office is 30 minutes in the opposite direction, and since I'm suppose to be out & about in the market, there is no point in my driving to an office, just to turn around & get back in my car! I do love the flexibility but I have a strong sense of work ethic, so I'm careful not to take advantage.

So I typically work M-F; 8-5. But, there are times when I have networking events at night, but I try to keep those to a minimum. I love all the Me time I can get so I can run, bike and go fishing with DH!
I'm glad you're enjoying it...I am too! It fascinates me to hear about other people's work and volunteering...my life is kind of narrow right now so it's nice to hear about something I didn't know before!
 Image Image

jannyf

Cherry Bing

Ayla wrote:
Kitkat137 wrote:I work full-time an editorial assistant for a political science based publisher in DC. I wake up at 6 and get my son ready for daycare then commute 90 mins each way to work. I work 9 to 5 typically. I get home about 630 and feed/play with my baby. He goes to bed at 8 which gives me 2 good hours a night to myself. I scrap mostly on weekends and once a weeknight typically. I used to volunteer with Girl Scouts and other community stuff but haven't since I moved and had the baby.
Wow...3 hours to commute every day. Don't think I'd handle that very well. It takes me 20 minutes to get to work, and that's only if I hit every red light on the way.

I don't think I could drive 3 hours in commute time either! You must REALLY love your job!!!! Good for you! Do you listen to books on CD or anything?
- Jan

scrappie_stacie

Cherry Bomb

milmomma wrote:Jobs, ugh...
Okay main job is SAHM, with a secondary in Military wife 101. I'm also the FRG leader which is a voluntold position. I'm also a Network Coordinator for our Community Preschool(volunteer job). I go north twice a year to another installation to teach English to Korean school age children, twice a week. No I do not have a degree, but love those kids(volunteer job). Oh and I help run the photography club at our installation as well(volunteer job).
For me though, I've been working on the side as a photographer. I absolutely love it and lately business is growing well. I also have my 3 wonderful CT's that I am proud to help with.

I think that sums up the important stuff. :-D

So you're Claudia Joy Holden? ;) That's the first thing I thought of when I read FRG. I love that show!

---------------------------------------------------------

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee