Acrylic Album

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Layla
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 156

Acrylic Album

Post by Layla »

First... HI GUYS!!! ;)
Ok... so I'm bustin out a quick wedding gift. Going to make one of the acrylic albums... ya know the ones with the rings that hold the binding together? I don't have it in front of me but I believe its 7gypsies... the one with the tabs. I've been browsing the gallery and see some cute examples... basically I was looking to see if people cover the whole thing tabs included with paper or just scrap on them where they want and I see its both but I have a few questions still.

Can I use mod podge... i think I have the matte finish kind to adhere the paper to the acrylic album? Cover and pages both? And do I need to sand it to make it rough before I do so since its slick acrylic? Will the matte finish mod podge show if thats what I use if I leave some of the spaces acrylic? I'm sure I'll think of more but a lil help would be appreciated. I am a bit behind the game. Since leaving Ryan 4 years ago I usually only scrap if I'm being paid or its for gifts... shame on me.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
~Layla
Pinky Up! The higher you hold it, the fancier you are!
-Tracy-
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 439

Re: Acrylic Album

Post by -Tracy- »

Angela is our queen of acrylic albums. I've never seen anyone who does it better. ;)

Here is a list of articles/classes here at ACOT that can help you with the specifics of how to adhere things and such.

Acrylic Albums
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
Layla
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Layla »

Thank you for the link... I will be heading there now because the adhering is what I'm most curious about. And yeppers... i have been saving and browsing Angelas stuff all morning. :P I love her style... my only problem is that I don't have the pics... its a wedding themed one and I'm going to include a note that says when the pics come she will only need to give me X amount of pics and I'll put them on... just hope the album still makes sense and it may not with the way I put it together. Often times non scrappy people don't "get it" til they see the finished project.
~Layla
-Tracy-
Wild Cherry

Post by -Tracy- »

Layla wrote:Thank you for the link... I will be heading there now because the adhering is what I'm most curious about. And yeppers... i have been saving and browsing Angelas stuff all morning. :P I love her style... my only problem is that I don't have the pics... its a wedding themed one and I'm going to include a note that says when the pics come she will only need to give me X amount of pics and I'll put them on... just hope the album still makes sense and it may not with the way I put it together. Often times non scrappy people don't "get it" til they see the finished project.

I am 99% certain that modge podge is not going to work since the pages are clear, but I coudln't remember how Angela adheres them, so the tut's should help. :)
Layla
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Layla »

Crapomatic! Looks like a no on the mod podge. And I have no scrap store in this town. Boo. I can't find what Angela is using but I see others saying spray adhesive or even glue dots. I don't want corners coming up at all so I may not go with the dots.... this bad boy needs to be done by saturday LOL yay for procrastination. Hmmm. Thats why I wondered about sanding.. like on the thicker covers anyway so that it would maybe stay with mod podge. Poo.
~Layla
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2397

Post by Art_Teacher »

Mod Podge does dry clear, though. I would do what Angela does! LOL!

Plus, hey Layla! Long time, no see! :-D
Laura
 Image    Image      Image   
Layla
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Layla »

Hey Laura... I know right?

I can't find what Angela does. *stalks the message board til she arrives*

I just went to our local Ben Franklin and got glue dots AND vellum dots but................ eh.
~Layla
bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 571

Post by bluejeans7 »

Layla wrote:Hey Laura... I know right?

I can't find what Angela does. *stalks the message board til she arrives*

I just went to our local Ben Franklin and got glue dots AND vellum dots but................ eh.
Hi Layla. Just found this thread. I usually use mini glue dots and hide them. If you have anymore questions then just ask. You can either PM me or if you post the MB then give me a heads up with a link, that way I can answer you faster. LOL!
bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries

Post by bluejeans7 »

-Tracy- wrote:Angela is our queen of acrylic albums. I've never seen anyone who does it better. ;)

Here is a list of articles/classes here at ACOT that can help you with the specifics of how to adhere things and such.

Acrylic Albums
Thank you Tracy! You are a sweetheart!!! :inlove:
Layla
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Layla »

Angela for the cover I'm trying to completely cover it... can I sand it and then try mod podge or will it not work? Problem is once I do it, if I can't get it to stick its pretty well ruined. I've been creating the album cover layout while I waited so no biggie... unless I can't get it to stick. hahahaha!
~Layla
-Tracy-
Wild Cherry

Post by -Tracy- »

bluejeans7 wrote:
-Tracy- wrote:Angela is our queen of acrylic albums. I've never seen anyone who does it better. ;)

Acrylic Albums
Thank you Tracy! You are a sweetheart!!! :inlove:

Ain't lying when it's true! :-D
bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries

Post by bluejeans7 »

Layla wrote:Angela for the cover I'm trying to completely cover it... can I sand it and then try mod podge or will it not work? Problem is once I do it, if I can't get it to stick its pretty well ruined. I've been creating the album cover layout while I waited so no biggie... unless I can't get it to stick. hahahaha!
What are you trying to sand? The paper or the acrylic cover? If you want the cover completely covered in paper then you don't have to sand the acrylic. You can just glue the paper down, I've used double-sided tape or a glue runner for this before.

For the cover of this album I used my AD Tech glue runner to cover the cover. :)

Layla
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Layla »

I was going to sand the cover, so I could use mod podge and let it stick. No?
~Layla
bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries

Post by bluejeans7 »

Layla wrote:I was going to sand the cover, so I could use mod podge and let it stick. No?
I have never sanded the cover or used mod podge on my acrylic albums. Like I said I used AD Tech gunner runner for the cover on my Little Man album.
bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries

Post by bluejeans7 »

bluejeans7 wrote:
Layla wrote:I was going to sand the cover, so I could use mod podge and let it stick. No?
I have never sanded the cover or used mod podge on my acrylic albums. Like I said I used AD Tech gunner runner for the cover on my Little Man album.
Oh and I've never had any trouble with my paper edges or embellishments coming up.
Layla
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Layla »

Ok well thank you for letting me pick your brain! ;)
~Layla
bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries

Post by bluejeans7 »

Layla wrote:Ok well thank you for letting me pick your brain! ;)
No problem! Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Layla
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Layla »

Eh I started to have scrappers block... got a lil freaked. Then I decided to go Layla on this things arse and well.... its coming along! I'll post pics when I'm done. :greenlol:
~Layla
JeanG
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 5

Post by JeanG »

Layla, I'm glad you asked this! I've saved all of Angela's stuff, but was planning on using Mod Podge on the cover of an album I'm making of a wedding shower, just so that when it was passed around the cover paper wouldn't rip. I bought about 3,000 glue dots for the other pages!! :-D
I wonder, sometimes, if we ever give God a headache.
PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Post by PezKat »

I don't know why Mod Podge wouldn't work on acrylic, it works fine on other smooth surfaces (like tin).
Image Image

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”