Tools of the trade (Paper Trimmers)

Moderator: ACOT Employee

lizziej
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 81

Re: Tools of the trade (Paper Trimmers)

Post by lizziej »

I have a Carl Professional Rotary Trimmer. I've had it for 7 or 8 years. I love it except for the fact that it cannot trim paper larger than 8.5 inches. By that, I mean if I wanted to cut a 12x12 paper down to 11x11, I couldn't do it since the base is only about 8.5 inches wide and there are no extensions, nor can it easily trim narrow strips when the strip is smaller than about 1.5 inches. I have all the different cutting edges available. I also have a Cutterpede. I use that when I need to trim paper larger than 8.5 inches and the narrow strips. LOL However, I think it was a bit warped when I bought it because it "dips" in the middle of cutting. I have ordered a Tonic Guillotine with the large base of 12x12. I can't wait!! I've heard only great things about it, except that portability is not that great.
Liz - HOOK 'EM HORNS!!
The only good addict is an alpha addict!
Alissa103
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 33

Post by Alissa103 »

I have the blue/silver Fiskars trimmer and it's well-loved. The numbers are wearing off and everything! I do change the blades pretty often b/c I hate dull blades, but other than that, I love how portable and easy to use it is.
KYTeecher
Cherry Tart

Post by KYTeecher »

Up until last week, I HAD a Making Memories trimmer. The grid lines were wearing off, but I kept right on using it. Then last week the plastic paper guide that goes down the side of the trimmer broke. I had already contacted MM about the trimmer and it was too old to get a replacement.

I had purchased the Tonic 12 inch guillotine trimmer used from a friend of mine, but I just can't seem to get the knack of using a guillotine cutter after years with the MM one.

I was wondering..... IF I get a new one, do you think it would be possible to cover the grid lines with a sheet of clear plastic contact like paper? That would protect the grid lines from friction so they might not fade as quickly. I know that I would have to do it in 2 smaller sheets if I still want it to be able to fold up.... Just wondered what you all thought.
sherry
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 1

Post by sherry »

I use the Creative Memories 12" one- works fine for me and doesn't take up a ton of room on my scrap table.
pinkie915
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 1

Post by pinkie915 »

I use the pink EK Cutterpede. I won it at a crop a few years ago. Love it, easy to use, portable...light weight...what more could I want.
www.marisheart.blogspot.com

~ Live ~ Love ~ Laugh ~
doviana
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 31

Post by doviana »

I have a Provo Craft flourescent green and pink one that is my go to one for everything unless I am at the office and then I have one of the old guillitene cutters that I don't know the brand of but it is an old vintage one that I really love - they just dont make em liek they used to...
simplykate
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 18

Post by simplykate »

So glad you started this topic. I am desparely in need of a new trimmer and it is just so confusing because there are so many brands and price ranges. All I want is for it to cut straight. You have all been a big help to me!!
Kate Enjoy the little things in life!
scrapbookmary
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 29

Post by scrapbookmary »

I have the Cutterpede for portability to take to crops, but I use an old, humongous 18" X 18" guillotine style paper cutter with a wooden base for my home projects. Love the guillotine cutter and if it were more portable would take it croppin' with me.
...... but age is such a triumph over youth,
again, because you moved across the years to here.
Leaving there where it belongs
for youth to come along and re-discover. by Rod McKuen

lilmacgil
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 29

Post by lilmacgil »

I use three on a fairly regular basis (and I've tried dozens!).

Tonic Studios 12-inch Guillotine Paper Trimmer I LOVE because my cuts are always straight and I can cut multiple pieces of CS at a time and get accurate cuts.

The Marvy Uchida with the interchangeable blades is awesome and also good for straight cuts.

and my final one is the Creative Memories small trimmer with the little storage drawer underneath. This is the one I use for trimming my photos and smaller cuts of CS.

I highly recommend all of them!
Julia

Image Image Image

Visit my blog!
ChrissyTina
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 221

Post by ChrissyTina »

I have Ol' Reliable...my fiskars orange one. I love it! It's portable. It does the job. And it's reliable. It's the first paper trimmer I ever bought and I <3 it!
Chrissy

pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1063

Post by pawprints »

I think I posted earlier on in this thread, or maybe on a different one, how I just use my good old xacto knife... but recently I picked up a MS trimmer and I LOVE it. I love that it is compact, yet has an extension that pulls out to cut 12x12. And it has a storage compartment on the bottom to store extra blades, and comes with a scoring blade too. I use it all the time and I love that it takes up very little space. Didn't know what I was missing 'til now!

ImageImage Image Image  

Kitkat137
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 151

Post by Kitkat137 »

Kat >^..^<

Image Image Image
Strawberry Creations
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 3

Post by Strawberry Creations »

I have a Cricut Paper trimmer and I am starting to hate it! When you cut the paper it leaves the edges all raggedy. I have only used it maybe 5 times. I was thinking maybe the blade needs to be replaced but I am not for sure. :?
Total for 2010: 2 (12x12 pgs) 25 (8x8 pgs) 30 cards, 75/75 invitations
scrapscot
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 865

Post by scrapscot »

I have three Fiskars...a large one and the old orange & blue 12 " slide and the rotary one. I mostly use the 12", but the numbers and lines are wearing off, so I may have to go for a newone before long. Barb has pretty much taken over the rotary one and I only use the large trimmer when I have need it for larger projects.
Image Charlene
ScrapKaty
Cherry Tart

Post by ScrapKaty »

One of my first scrapbooking tools was a Fiskar paper trimmer. I finally had to replace it this year (after 7 years!!) and of course replaced it with another one by Fiskars.
dontscrapwithme
Cherry Tart

Post by dontscrapwithme »

Fiskars :), the dark gray one with the orange slider. I want to get a wavy one though... suggestions??
colormegirl01
Cherry Blossom

Post by colormegirl01 »

Fiskars is my choice of cutter.
Richyreens
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 11

Post by Richyreens »

my 1st trimmer.... :inlove:it Imagethen i got this Imagenot my fav though because it cant fit 12x12 paper and doesnt cut straight.

after NSD crop I buy something to reward myself for coming back in scrapbook world, havent try it yet and still inside the packing Image
{ida}
-A room of crazy scrapper-
Imagegaga ulala......Imagelove at first sight.....Image
dismith
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 8

Post by dismith »

Fiskers and CM here.......I also have a lighted one but don't know the brand.
scrapaholic
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 5

Post by scrapaholic »

I use fiskars, I have a few of them and still use the ancient grey/orange one too.
Have a coke and a smile!Image

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”