Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

deerewife

Cherry Jubilee

parents - do you kids....
still sit in a carseat/booster?
Ride in the front seat?

My girls ages 6 & 8 seem to be in the minority because they still sit in boosters and are NOT allowed in the front seat - other than fil's truck with the airbag off.

Am I alone? Overprotective?

I'll add that my one sister works as a dispatcher for police/fire/rescue and has seen many accidents and my other sister spent 3 years in the ER. So, maybe that's why?
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)

Flasher

Cherry Crush

Re: parents - do you kids....
My 9 year old son is still in a booster. Ohio state law says they must be in a booster until they are 4'9" (57"). He's only 53". He's going to be there for a little while longer. And quite honestly, I think they should be in boosters until then. Better safe than sorry!
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

scrapsakes

Chocolate Covered Cherry

nope, i'm the same way -- i believe that it's a law here in california
for a child that age to be in booster seats (mine is 6 and the older
ones before did too), so nothing wrong with that & it's even safer.
"a heart in love with beauty never grows old" Image (turkish proverb)

Flasher

Cherry Crush

I also wanted to say that Ohio law used to be a booster seat until 4 years of age AND 40 pounds. But, even after my daughter hit that, I kept her in one until she was 9. I just simply felt better.
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

LyndaKay

Cherry Jubilee

I never used booster seats way back when, but I agree that kids should be in the back seat only.

Lynda

Flasher

Cherry Crush

Oh, and on the front seat thing. In our state it's "recommended" that no one under 12 years of age be in the front seat of a vehicle with an air bag. Neither of my kids have ever ridden in the front seat of our vans. In fact, our minivan automatically disables the air bag if there is not enough weight in the passenger seat!

scrappininAK

Cherry Jubilee

my kids are 9 and 11 and do not sit in booster seats. They do not go in the front seat either
Heather

My Blog Unleashed
My Etsy Store CutMania
CutMania Newsletter Sign Up

jodcold

Cherry Garcia

Well, mine is 21 years old and although he is short, I let him ride in the front seat without a booster seat. LOL!
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

Jody H. (jodcold)

Image Image Image

MamaK321

Cherry Addict

my 7 & 11 year olds don't use bosters. 11 y/o can sit in the front seat with the air bag turned off. 7 y/o can't sit upfont yet.
Image Image

4peasinourpod

Wild Cherry

Here it is 8 years old before they can sit with just a seatbelt...unless they are 80 pounds or 57 inches tall.
My 7 year old still sits in the bast in a booster.

My 11 and 13 year sit in the front, but they both weigh more than me, so I let them :)
~pam~

3 Pals

Cherry Bomb

My kids are grown but I did not let them sit in front forever! Boosters...hmmm not sure when I stopped using them but my kids are in their 20s now so.... they did not have the boosters like they do now .... I think overprotective is such a funny word....we are talking about our children! Is there such a thing?
ImageImage Image
Ann

meteechtap

Cherry Cola

My 5yr is in a booster too. He is already tall and my not need one by the time he's in first grade, but as far as the front seat, not untill they are 12.
~Janet~Image Image Image
Celebrity Cherry 5/10 , Guest Ct 5/11

Northern Brat

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Mine are 10 and 11 and they don't do the booster seat thing....and haven't for a long time now. I don't encourage the front seat on long trips, but in town, they take turns. My car has a sensor, so if you don't hit a particular weight, the air bag is off.
Leslie
2012: Goal - 75 layouts 4 mini albums 20 cards --------> Progress - layouts mini album - cards
J - /6
ImageImage

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

You are a horrible mother, and your children will grow up to be terrorists or the types of interns that sleep with married politicians.
Leslie

nun69

Cherry Jubilee

Leslie you are a dork :P that's why I LOVE you.....in the state of WA, they have to be in a seat until 8 and Ben can't sit in the front seat because my van says he doesn't weigh enough! I don't turn my airbag off in the front seat~ the only person that rides up front {other than me} is DD who is almost 17 and will be driving next week!
Image~Angie~

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

nun69 wrote:Leslie you are a dork :P that's why I LOVE you.....in the state of WA, they have to be in a seat until 8 and Ben can't sit in the front seat because my van says he doesn't weigh enough! I don't turn my airbag off in the front seat~ the only person that rides up front {other than me} is DD who is almost 17 and will be driving next week!
I'm not the one with "69" in their screenname.
Leslie

milmomma

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Xander is in booster and Ali is still in a 5 pt harness. Yes I'm protective. I'm okay with that. I'd rather them live.

LaWanna

Cherry Blossom

Both mine sit in boosters and they are 7 and 5. The seven year old is a bit on the small side. I look at it two ways. I don't want to get a ticket for not having them buckled in and I feel it is my responsibility to make sure they are as safe as possible, in the car and out of it. It's common sense that both mine need to be 'boosted' to a level that the seat belt makes them safest. It drives me nuts when I see little kids riding in the front seat, often not even buckled in at all. I want to stop their parents and yell at them.

Let's see - a car going 55-80 mph suddenly, abruptly stops. What ever or who ever is in the car not strapped down becomes a projectile. Anyone not buckled in properly will likely wind up with a broken neck or worse. That makes it an easy choice for me.
LaWanna Desjardin
Find Desjardin Digital Designs on Facebook!
Blog: A Happy Distraction
Handmade Purses, Tote and More

** Yes that's my little dog sneaking a Dum-Dum Sucker.

harper828

Cherry Bing

My seven year old son uses a booster seat. I wish he was still in the car seat, they are much more secure. I always cringe when I see a young child in the front seat.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/ ... e=standard
Live, Love and Create

fong33

Chocolate Covered Cherry

My 9 yr old is still in a booster. I think the NY state law requires boosters/carseats until the kids are 8 yrs old, but recommend it for kids under 100 lbs or 4'9 inches. My son is only 49 lbs and only around 4' tall, so at this rate, he will be in it for awhile.

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee