So....is -40C(-40F) cold enough?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Northern Brat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 253

So....is -40C(-40F) cold enough?

Post by Northern Brat »

That's the temperature where I live today...and to make things colder...it's actually -52C (-61.6F) with the windchill!!!

You know it's cold when my logs on the house are making noises!
Leslie
2012: Goal - 75 layouts 4 mini albums 20 cards --------> Progress - layouts mini album - cards
J - /6
ImageImage
TraciL
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 238

Re: So....is -40C(-40F) cold enough?

Post by TraciL »

seriously? how do you start your cars etc - I can't even imagine going outside in that and God forbid if you would break down.
bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 571

Post by bluejeans7 »

Yeah that's too cold for me! Stay warm!
Northern Brat
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Northern Brat »

SWAY2865 wrote:seriously? how do you start your cars etc - I can't even imagine going outside in that and God forbid if you would break down.
Car is plugged in, making sure the battery is operating! Tires get square...my seat has a bum warmer, so that's definately going to be on all the time....Or...I don't go anywhere!
Leslie
2012: Goal - 75 layouts 4 mini albums 20 cards --------> Progress - layouts mini album - cards
J - /6
ImageImage
LyndaKay
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 40

Post by LyndaKay »

Good cuddle weather!!;)

Lynda
jcsmaestra
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 941

Post by jcsmaestra »

I can't imagine temps that low. I want to hibernate when the wind chill gets to 10 above.
Mary           Love is all around you.

ImageImage  Image Image Image

sherry
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 1

Post by sherry »

I cannot imagine. Our windchill was down to -4 this week and it felt unbearable. How can you stand such a cold winter? Do the schools close for those kind of temps? They sure would here. How much snow do you get? Just curious- I could not live somewhere that cold. I am sure it is beautiful in the spring & summer, but winters like that would be killer.
lilkoala3
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 813

Post by lilkoala3 »

jcsmaestra wrote:I can't imagine temps that low. I want to hibernate when the wind chill gets to 10 above.
I second that! Except I hibernate when it gets to about 40 F...
Leslie
killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

Northern Brat wrote:That's the temperature where I live today...and to make things colder...it's actually -52C (-61.6F) with the windchill!!!

You know it's cold when my logs on the house are making noises!

I barely am able to handle 32 F with the wind blowing at 15-30 mph. I can't even imagine what it's like for ya 'll.

I always am amazed to listen to our friends with Lowlines in states with the winter weather. We have friends in Colorado who calve year round but they have a very small herd and use hose to protect the ears and tail of the calves from frostbite. Our friends in North Dakota and Minnesota remind us of the trials of sub-zero weather with cattle. From where we live and south we prefer to calve from September to April because our temperature trials are with the summer heat.

I can only imagine the sound of your house with the logs contracting.....
grifscap
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 109

Post by grifscap »

Now that is cold. Keep warm
SarahA
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 358

Post by SarahA »

OMG! Do you just stay in when it's like that, or do you dare to venture outside? That is just crazy!
Gail R
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 76

Post by Gail R »

OMG! I think I will refer to our +23 as tropical compared to you.
Gail
Northern Brat
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Northern Brat »

sherry wrote:I cannot imagine. Our windchill was down to -4 this week and it felt unbearable. How can you stand such a cold winter? Do the schools close for those kind of temps? They sure would here. How much snow do you get? Just curious- I could not live somewhere that cold. I am sure it is beautiful in the spring & summer, but winters like that would be killer.
I can't stand a cold winter like this! Some years, we have 3 months of -30ish weather. They are saying that it's going to get to -10C this week...we'll see! We don't have alot of snow, but some years our snow banks are 8 feet or more!
Spring and summer are beautiful...especially by the lake! School isn't shut down otherwise the kids would never get there! Last year we had our first snow day EVER, we had warm temps, but the amount of snow was crazy. They shut it down as a danger to kids walking in the streets to get to school. Recess gets to be indoor recess when the temp is -28C or colder!
Leslie
J - /6
ImageImage
gonecamping
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 129

Post by gonecamping »

that is insane!!!!! and I am griping because it has been 12 degrees outside...I got nothing to complain about!
***Tanya***
JeanG
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 5

Post by JeanG »

Geez! And I was thinking our -6F was bad!! I remember many times in Northern MN we had -40; a few times last year here we had -32. I hate it - makes me even more sore. Stay home if you can and curl up in an electric blanket. The only good thing about minus temps is that when you get back in the house it always feels warm...even if it's only 60F!! :-D
I wonder, sometimes, if we ever give God a headache.
sarahwhithers
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 2269

Post by sarahwhithers »

We're a tiny bit warmer than you are sitting at -35C with the windchill, but I know what you mean with how I can't handle this cold for that long! This isn't even supposed to get that cold till January! ahh! I hope they're right and it does warm up a bit by the end of next week!
Northern Brat
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Northern Brat »

So...I ventured out...ran the car for half hour before I left (I know, not environmentally smart, but at -52C, too bad!) The car still wasn't warm, the car didn't even register an outside temperature as it went ---, and the wind...holy moly...
Took the dog out for a pee in the field in front of my house, and I never saw him do his business so fast, and raced me back to the house! haha! I have a fire going!
Leslie
J - /6
ImageImage
Nikki_E
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 19

Post by Nikki_E »

Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
Nikki

When you see me with a smile on my face, then you'll know I'm a mental case. ~ Alice Cooper
AnnOminous
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 211

Post by AnnOminous »

I just couldn't handle that kind of cold. I would probably have some sort of a breakdown or anxiety attack.
pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1057

Post by pawprints »

OMG I can't even begin to imagine cold like that! I think if I was outside for two seconds my fingers and toes would fall off LOL! I have enough trouble with them when it is in the 20s out!

Image Image Image

Return to “General Talk”