Tessallation??

Moderator: ACOT Employee

RitaS
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 299

Tessallation??

Post by RitaS »

This morning as I was getting dressed I had my newer quilted vest out on the bed to put on. Abby said, "Mom, your vest is a perfect example of tessellation!" "huh, what's that", I asked. And she said something about patterns and blending of colors, and found out this is another word our 7 yr old has picked up from Word Girl on PBS. Honestly, not only had I never heard of it, I didn't know how to spell it.

Dictionary.com helped me track down the word she used.

Regular Tessellations ... Regular tessellations are made up entirely of congruent regular polygons all meeting vertex to vertex. There are only three regular tessellations which use a network of equilateral triangles, squares and hexagons.

It's a sad day, in one respect, when your first grader is smarter than you.;)

Let's have another round of "kids say the cutest things" - there must be some particularly cute conversations happening this close to Christmas, care to share?
Rita S

Life is about second chances. There would be no hope if God didn't give us another.

kcatt79
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 276

Re: Tessallation??

Post by kcatt79 »

Not a Christmas related cute story, but my 9 year old son said something that made me laugh long before I stopped to explain to him.
Tim asked,

"Mom, why do girls have to go first getting in the car, but boys have to go first in danger?" Just so cute watching him try to figure out the oposition he was seeing. We got it all straightened out in the end. Anyway, maybe not as cute to others, but it was very cute to me.

wife of one, mother of FOUR! :)

http://socksscrapsandotherthings.blogspot.com/
craftyfool
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 247

Post by craftyfool »

My 4yo has me in stitches daily...usually more than once.

Last night when we got home she was telling me she had a quesadilla for snack...and this is how it's made:

"You just take cheese and mashed beans and then add the bread and...It's done! Easy Peasy Mom!!
lilkoala3
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 856

Post by lilkoala3 »

No. I don't have kids.
Leslie
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2389

Post by Art_Teacher »

I teach about tessellations in Art class and my colleague does a unit on them in Geometry! There is a famous artist named M. C. Escher who was very well known for his intricate tessellation art. Yay for your daughter! Who says tv isn't educational?
Laura
 Image    Image      Image   
AnnOminous
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 211

Post by AnnOminous »

My guess would of been that tessallations had something to do with Nicolas Tesala (probably spelled that name wrong). I was SHOCKED :winkb: that it did not!!
deerewife
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 483

Post by deerewife »

I remember that word girl episode :)

My girls are always picking up stuff from that and electric company (which is growing on me)

My 5 year old is always full of wisdom...I'm just blank at the moment :)
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)
LyndaKay
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 40

Post by LyndaKay »

OK....here goes.... Many years ago, one of my boys was 7 and it was almost Christmas. He brought up the subject of Santa with a bit of doubt thrown in. My husband took him aside, away from his younger brother and whispered, "Do you have any questions that you'd like to ask me?" And my son said, "Yes.... what's a dildo?" OMG! I about died when my DH told me later. And NO...he didn't answer him.

Lynda
JulianaM
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 259

Post by JulianaM »

That is seriously adorable! Amazing how kids can learn so easily...like a sponge!!!
scrappininAK
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1886

Post by scrappininAK »

that's cool - my kids are constantly besting me with their knowledge
Heather

My Blog Unleashed
My Etsy Store CutMania
CutMania Newsletter Sign Up
happayscrappay
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 315

Post by happayscrappay »

that is so awesome that she picked up that word and was able to use it! yay for educational programming
Hi! I'm Rachel
My Blog: Happay Scraps
mommy2srs
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 42

Post by mommy2srs »

My four year old and I took his puppy to Petco, to have her picture taken with Santa. In his four year old mind, the Santa at the mall is the real one. According to him , he comes to the mall so that all the boys and girls can go see him and tell him what they would like for Christmas. On Christmas Eve, Santa returns to the North Pole to get his reindeer and sleigh and deliver the presents all over the world. Anyway, the Santa at Petco of course wasn't the same Santa as at the mall. So my son informs me that that wasn't the real Santa, that it was just a guy in a Santa suit. When he handed his puppy to Santa to get her picture taken , he said to Santa "you, sir, are an imposter, you aren't the real Santa"!!
Everyone around us was rolling on the floor, laughing, but my little guy was completely serious...

P.S. I have no idea where he learned the word "imposter" and its correct meaning!!
Elizabeth
PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Post by PezKat »

It made me think of tesseracts! ;)

My favorite kid-says story is from a roommate I had years ago who was a single mom. When she moved out I was helping her move into her new apartment, and her 2-year old son was, of course, also helping. She was taking some pots & pans out & putting them in the kitchen, and he said, "Mom, we have some just like these at home!"
Image Image
wahoo_mom
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 195

Post by wahoo_mom »

Great stories! Word Girl is my superhero.

While we were snowed in, my DSs played with Legos a lot. 6yo comes running in and says, "Look what I created with my marvelous mind!"
Heidi
Image ImageImageImage
kennabeans
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 39

Post by kennabeans »

My 4 yr old DD was very excited to see my when I arrived home from work the other night. As soon as I walked in the door, she started asking me, "Did it hurt when you fell from heaven? Are you from Tennessee cuz you're the only 10 I see." I cracked up at her cheesy pick up lines. Then wondered where on earth she came up with those. Her response was simply, TV.
ImageImageImage
LyndaKay
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 40

Post by LyndaKay »

kennabeans wrote:My 4 yr old DD was very excited to see my when I arrived home from work the other night. As soon as I walked in the door, she started asking me, "Did it hurt when you fell from heaven? Are you from Tennessee cuz you're the only 10 I see." I cracked up at her cheesy pick up lines. Then wondered where on earth she came up with those. Her response was simply, TV.
She's so funny!! cute lines

Lynda

Return to “General Talk”