We're celebrating World Card Making Day with 20% off the regular price of everything! Use code CARDS20

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

Almost had wallet stolen- UPDATED @ end- I got pepper spray
So, I took the train from the crop home last night. It was about 1:30am, and after getting off of the train at 30th Street station, I went to get a taxi. There was a long line, which I got into. Well, 2 men were in front of me in line, and when they saw me, they said, "go ahead and go in front of us, we're waiting for someone." So I got in front of them in the line. Well, they kept bumping into me. I later figured out later that they were trying to get into my backpack. On Thursday last week, I had a really horrible experience. I don't want to tell you guys the details because this story is worse than this one, and I don't want you to worry about me TOO much! But because of that incident, I have been uber-alert and aware of my surroundings.

Anyway, out of the corner of my eye, I saw one guy bend over. I looked down, and my wallent was missing from my crop tool tote, which I had set on the ground because it was so heavy. I quickly turned around and saw that the man had a shirt hanging over his hand. I reacted, and I reacted well! I ripped the shirt away and grabbed my wallet out of his hand! I then proceeded to cuss him out and tell him I hoped he didn't believe in god because if he did, he just bought himself a one-way ticket to hell. I was yelling, and I told him, "And don't think I didn't know what you were doing when you were bumping into my bag, asshole!" Of course, during this whole time, he kept saying, "You dropped it." I then yelled at the top of my lungs to everyone in the line, "EVERYONE, JUST SO YOU KNOW, THIS F$CKER TRIED TO STEAL MY WALLET." I was livid, and I just couldn't stop telling him how stupid he was and calling him names! I also told him I was going to call the "f$cking cops."

There was a family in front of me in line, and the wife said, "Wow, you handled that so well!" At this point, the man had left, and my knees were trembling, and I was about to cry. I just told her, "I want to go home. I miss my Mama." She asked where home was, and I said "Texas." She then gave me this big hug and told me that I should be proud of myself and that my Mama would be proud. I told her, "Thank you, I needed that." Once I got to the front of the line, another man that was really far behind me, told me, "You handled that better than I would have!" I told him that I was sick and tired of people trying to take advantage of me because they probably think of me as an easy target! I called the cops, and they said that they would send someone to look for the guys, but basically, they couldn't do much. Niiiiiice...

In some ways, my reaction really scared me. I probably shouldn't have thrown such a fit because if he was armed, he may have hurt me. Also, I was so angry, that I had to try really hard not to physically attack him. That would have been REALLY stupid seeing as he was probably more than twice my size.

I'm going to do some things differently the next time I crop. I won't be keeping my wallet in my crop bag anymore. I'm going to have it zipped up in my big tote. And I think the incident just reinforced my decision to be constantly aware of what's going on around me.
Leslie

jodcold

Cherry Garcia

Re: I almost had my wallet stolen.
OMG! I would have been scared to death, but wished I had my wits about me to handle it like you did. Thank God you are okay.

Now I am scared for you though about the other incident since I don't know what it was. You take care of yourself.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

Jody H. (jodcold)

Image Image Image

PezKat

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Whew! I'm glad you're ok. I don't know what I'd do in a situation like that... I'm never afraid to be alone even at night, but perhaps sometimes I should be. We usually think about places where there are no people as being dangerous; can't believe they tried that in a crowd! Anyway I think you did fine, and have some good ideas about what to do better next time!

{hugs!}
Image Image

deerewife

Cherry Jubilee

oh how scary! I think you did everything right...makes you wish the people around you could have stepped up?!

HUGS!!
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)

AnnOminous

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Holey Moley!!

Actually, that is the way to handle it when there are people around. Good job!!!

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

deerewife wrote:oh how scary! I think you did everything right...makes you wish the people around you could have stepped up?!

HUGS!!
Yeah, that's what my sister said, too... I guess I'm jaded because I'm not all that surprised... I know this is going to offend some people, but I think more people would have helped if I had been in Texas... I don't know, though...
Leslie

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

Good for you Leslie! You are one tough cookie! What a scary thing to happen and thank God you are okay!

ImageImage Image Image  

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

Oh my gosh Leslie, that is terrible. I'm glad you caught the guy red handed and were able to get your wallet back. It sounds like you did the right thing by being vocal and warning others about those creeps while you were at it. Maybe it will put some fear into those guys, but I'm not used to a big city so I don't feel qualified to give you advice, other than to tell you to be aware of your surroundings all of the time. If and when you get ready to talk about the other thing that happened, we will be here to listen. I just hope you weren't hurt in any way. I live in TX and I have a 28 year old daughter, and I'm always giving her instructions to keep an eye on everyone and pay attention. Being a mother of a young lady, I'm feeling your fear. Try to get a good night sleep if you can. I'll tell you what I tell my daughter and it gives her a little peace "sleep with the angels". I'll be praying for your safety and healing from these bad things that have happened to you. I know you feel violated and feel like things are out of your control. Just please be safe and take all necessary precautions to protect yourself. This might make you laugh a little bit, but I'm always telling my daughter to just "kick them in the b- - - s."
Image ImageImage

FairyMouseMom

Cherry Addict

You go, girl!!!! You can hang with me any day!!!!
Egle ~ Let the things you love be your escape. ~
I am addicted to alphabets!....and papers.....and....

Image Image Image

grifscap

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Your Mother would be proud. I must say I would have been a mess you did good girl.

milmomma

Chocolate Covered Cherry

You really are a brave one. I think you did great.

Judy19

Sweet Cherry Pie

Please take care - be safe. You are so brave and must have been extremely upset to have reacted the way you did - am not sure at all how I would have reacted under the same circumstances. Am still in tears thinking about what could have happened - it´s so real as it might have been one of my daughters. Just be careful.

Keling

Cherry Jubilee

WAY TO GO, GIRL!!

You have to be so aware, in every situation. It's kind of sick, but that's what this world is like these days.

When I lived in China, anyone with a white face was a major target for pick-pockets. Fortunately, being born and raised by a NYC dad, I knew to be aware and keep things close. I never got anything stolen, but a girlfriend of mine, who was from a really small town, got money stolen about 5 times in one year...

Do be careful!!!
Sara

nene

Cherry Delight

See, I knew Koala's could be fierce---but DANG! So proud of you. They picked the wrong one to mess with.
Image Image
Rosa sat so that Martin could walk. Martin walked so that Barack could run. Barack ran so that our children could fly.

SarahA

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Holy S&*t, Leslie! You are one awesome woman! Those guys might think twice before trying that trick again!
Glad to hear that you are safe. Hopefully you got a good night's sleep after that.

jannyf

Cherry Bing

Yeah - he was going to give it back to you - R-I-G-H-T! If he wanted you to have it, he would have said, Miss you dropped your wallet!

After taking a self defense class, I think you did the right thing by pitching a fit. The more attention you can draw to yourself, the better. The other thing I learned is an attacker won't shoot you in broad daylight with people around. They usually show you a gun to scare you. I don't know what I would have done but I think our minds take over and whatever feels natural pours out - that is why your knees shake afterwards - b/c the adrenaline is gone and reality hits us.

Good for you - don't put up with this cr*p from people. In the future, you may just want to carry your license, debit card & money in your pocket. Why even take your wallet? That's what I learned to do. Don't let anyone give in to temptation of stealing something. Just my 2 cents.

I am very glad you are OK - and they took off. Consider a self defense class - especially living in a city by yourself. You can never be too careful.

You go, Texas!!!!!
- Jan

beachlover

Cherry Addict

see, if you had worn the wings, you could have flown away from the situation instead of using that potty mouth and sending that poor boy home crying for his mama :winkb:

seriously, {{{{HUGS}}}}, so glad you are okay and you are so strong, but yes, you need to be more careful! We'd be lost without you!
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

Beth-W

Featured Guest Coordinator

OMG, that is so scary!!! Glad you are safe and got your wallet back. Next time, kick him in the family jewels. :winkb: Sounds like he deserved it. :winkb: :winkb:
~Beth
"Make it bigger, make it badder, make it awesome" -Duff Goldman
"They need a hero to tell them that sometimes the impossible can become possible, if you're AWESOME!" -Rhino

http://latteonthebrain.blogspot.com/

ImageImage

Nikki_E

Cherry Cropper

How scary!
Nikki

When you see me with a smile on my face, then you'll know I'm a mental case. ~ Alice Cooper

jcsmaestra

Cherry Cola

You really handled that situation well. The only thing is that you handled the guy as if he was just some jerk, instead of a thief who might have been armed or might have attacked you physically. But at least there were other people around, and I hope that they would have come to your rescue had he tried to hurt you. On the other hand, you used the element of surprise. He was probably shocked at your reaction and thrown off guard.

A suggestion about your wallet: how about wearing it on your body inside one of those little thingies that hang on a strap around your neck or preferably your waist? I forget what they are called. Do you know what I mean? Anyone could get into your tote. When I go anywhere there are a lot of people, my wallet is safe next to my body and covered by a sweater or jacket. It's a pain to get to it when I need to, but at least it's safe.

I'm glad the situation had a good outcome. You seem to be very aware and careful when out in the city.
Mary           Love is all around you.

ImageImage  Image Image Image

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee