We're celebrating World Card Making Day with 20% off the regular price of everything! Use code CARDS20

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

Can someone please explain an Ad Inspiration Challenge?
I'm just not getting it. I looked at the directions and the example and then looked at a LO someone submitted. I'm still clueless. What element do these have in common? I would like to maybe try this challenge, but really don't understand what I'm supposed to do. What am I missing here?
Here are the directions and the example used: Ad Inspiration: create a layout using some element(s) from this Ad. You can edit the design to fit your own style, as long as you incorporate some part of the Ad in your layout.

Here is one of the LO's submitted for the challenge Climb *Ad Inspr Ch* by RitaS

Image ImageImage

JulesinParadise

Tiki Bar Mgr

Re: Can someone please explain an Ad Inspiration Challenge?
I love using ads for challenges. I like the fact that I can turn them, flip them, reverse them and adapt them to my photos. I have not done one here before so can only speak from what I do know.

When I have done an ad challenge before, I used the main elements (for example, in the ad here)

I used the large photo across the page, the two small ones to one side and the double columns of journaling at the bottom and the title across the big picture. And came up with this...

Remember, this is just how I interpret an ad challenge and could be way off (as I sometimes am) but using the basic elements and design is how I use ads to create layouts.
Image WAS a TIKI BAR GIRL AND ALWAYS WILL BE

Beth-W

Featured Guest Coordinator

I interpret the challenge to mean you use the ad as "inspiration", aka a starting point for a page. You could design your page with the placement of your photos, title, and paper the way the ad is pictured. You could chose to use the color scheme or title treatment. You could flip the design 90 degrees or 180 degrees to work better for the page you had in mind.

For the specific ad picked for this month's challenge, you could place a large photo on the right side of the LO. You could add strips of CS or PP on the top and bottom. You could chose to stamp an image and layer the title over top. Or, if you don't have one large photo, you could use 3 4x6 photos in a block on the right side of the page.
~Beth
"Make it bigger, make it badder, make it awesome" -Duff Goldman
"They need a hero to tell them that sometimes the impossible can become possible, if you're AWESOME!" -Rhino

http://latteonthebrain.blogspot.com/

ImageImage

JulesinParadise

Tiki Bar Mgr

Love your interpretation Beth...it gives tons more options than mine.
Image WAS a TIKI BAR GIRL AND ALWAYS WILL BE

Beth-W

Featured Guest Coordinator

JulesinParadise wrote:Love your interpretation Beth...it gives tons more options than mine.

Yours was a great explanation, too. I didn't have an awesome LO to show her like you did! :winkb: :winkb: :winkb:
~Beth
"Make it bigger, make it badder, make it awesome" -Duff Goldman
"They need a hero to tell them that sometimes the impossible can become possible, if you're AWESOME!" -Rhino

http://latteonthebrain.blogspot.com/

ImageImage

2_maybe_3

Cherry Blossom

I always wondered the same thing, just never asked. :O
Thanks girls!

Shanscraps

Cherry Bing

It's just your take on it... Just like a sketch.. You can take the colors, the design, whatever you choose and make it yours...
ShanShan

koala1966

Cherry Delight

What the other ladies are saying is right - you can take any element in the ad and use it to inspire a layout. It looks like in the example you pulled out for Rita, she was inspired by how the title had a watermarked image behind it, so she did her journaling with a watermarked title behind it, as well as using a similiar color scheme. Ad Inspiration is much more liberal than following a sketch, you can mimic the design but you don't have to, it could be as simple as using the circle alphas in your layout or a close-up picture of some event detail such as the picture in the ad shows.

scraptag

Cherry Cola

Yes, I was even thinking it might be a good time to try my macro feature and get a good close up of something like in the ad, with maybe something blurred in the background. But I usually try to use the challenges to get my current pictures scrapped.

MamaK321

Cherry Addict

perfect explanation Beth, thank you! :-D

Yes, I tend not to create my own example layout for the Ad Challenge because I don't want to influence anyone to what their layout design should be. I honestly LOVE to see all the different layouts that come from one little inspirational Ad design. Beth put it perfectly when she said you use the provided Ad as a starting point to your own creative finish. While sketches and templates are wonderful things, they pretty much give you specific placement of the page elements. With the Ad, you can use as little as the color scheme, prominent words or phrases, or the theme to create your layout. You are never required to create a layout that duplicates the Ad's design. This is why I ask that people mention what part of the Ad inspired them, because many times the layout will be very different from the Ad's design.

In the layout by RitaS that you showed, it looks to me like she was inspired by the large, single photo and the ad's colors; light blue background and bright red from the photo. I love that she even took inspiration from the watermarked (faded) design behind the ad's title and used that to emphasize the journaling on her layout.

Look at these layouts from the June Ad Challenge.... each one uses part of the ad's design in a very different way.

Image Image Image
layouts by Susanne_79, immom2anc, and mdjsburns
Image Image

grifscap

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I am seeing more of how the challenge should work, thanks

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

Thanks to all of you for the information. I guess I was just confusing myself. LOL I'm glad I asked the question because I would never have figured out what exactly I was supposed to do. Now I know, thanks to the cherries~:-D
Image ImageImage

BeatrizS

Cherry Bomb

Here is one i did in may.

this is the Add

and here is mineImage

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee