Help with wedding invitations

Moderator: ACOT Employee

1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Help with wedding invitations

Post by 1grandma »

My niece is getting married and asked me to make her wedding invitations. Can anyone offer suggestions. I have never made a card let along invitations to a wedding. Help!!!!
Bibi
Sus79
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 1714

Re: Help with wedding invitations

Post by Sus79 »

This was what I/we did for our wedding. The red slip is the road directions, that you could just take out and bring with you, and also our wishlist and all other useful informations.

ImageImageImageImageImage

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

:bluewaiting: I so wish I could help, but I've no clue! I've seen so many beautiful invitations handmade and I just happened to insist on formal white invitations when I got married 23 years ago.

Friends thought I was being very dull but I loved the elegance of a formal invitation.

I so can't wait to see what everyone has done with their invites. The first is beautiful!

Congrats on being asked to make your nieces invitations!
scrapbookaz
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 4

Post by scrapbookaz »

Actually, here's a little tip. At Michaels and Big Lots they have clearanced out BLANK wedding invitations. Also, a cherry on top has some items on sale too. In Michaels, I purchased Blank Wedding invitations they're always white and you have choices of embossed flowers on top or designs in the actual empty card. You add bling to the flowers, ink the edges of the card on all four corners with a stamp pad of the wedding parties color choice or choices, use vellum to print on the invitation information and punch a small hole for a brad or ribbon to hold the vellum. Than use vellum tape on the bottom of the vellum paper so it doesn't move. This can look extrememly professional and the charge for someone to do this is crazy. But, if your a scrapbooker you can do this at 80% cheaper.

I just did a baby shower for my brother, with blue bling ( we know it's a boy) a brad to hold the vellum that had fancy print for a font on it. My girlfriend use the same box which costed 5.94 clearanced out from 59.94 for her grandmothers 80th birthday ( 50 cards in each box- total steal!). She took the bling of red in the center of these three embossed flowers that came on the blank card, than she added ribbon after punching a hole in the card, she took the card and fed it through her color printer with the invitation information and Wow, awesome!

Hugs!

Debbie
Never to Hot to Scrap in Arizona!
Emsdancemom
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 223

Post by Emsdancemom »

Good luck! I know you can do it.
1grandma
Cherry Addict

Post by 1grandma »

Oh cherries, so far, I love these ideas. They are so beautiful and creative. I need more help. With everything. It has been so long since I have been to a wedding and I do not know what it in vogue now.
Bibi
KBeachy
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 1

Post by KBeachy »

Try looking at www.theknot.com or www.weddings.com for invitation ideas on what is hot now. You'll be able to get a ton of great ideas! Plus, ask your niece what kind of wedding she is having. The invitation sets the tone for the whole event.
Semper Fi
BeatrizS
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 222

Post by BeatrizS »

i would ask your niece What kind of wedding. What colors will she be using. Is there a specific flower that she is using in her bouquet.. So you you can start planning what you are doing
sherry
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 1

Post by sherry »

Just Google "Handmade wedding invitations" and you should see tons of ideas- there are so many! I'd love to do my daughter's, when the time comes, and if it wouldn't be 200 invitations. The internet is a treasure trove of ideas!
1grandma
Cherry Addict

Post by 1grandma »

I would really like to see some examples of things the cheeries have made. What is a reasonable cost for them?
Bibi
BeatrizS
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 222

Post by BeatrizS »

Here is one i found on the internet that i found simple and pretty

http://www.1st-class-wedding-invitation ... =511MC&t=S

just find out what color the brides maid dresses are and buy ribbon in that color and You got an invitation.
Sus79
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 1714

Post by Sus79 »

The once I made (25 invitations) cost me under $20. I used 1 sheet of A4 cardstock pr. invitation, a trim of red cardstock and the rings I found i a hobby store 50 pieces for next to nothing, and a roll of red ribbon.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Grandma Flowers
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 5

Post by Grandma Flowers »

I think you really need to find out the tone (formal, informal, etc.) of the wedding and the colors before you can start planning. My daughter went with pink and sage and they were really pretty but more informal.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---
Scrappinmac
Cherry Tart

Post by Scrappinmac »

Walmart has Martha Stewart wedding stuff (even some on clearance) and Target has it too. Several types of make/print your own invites, with response cards, etc. if you need them.
ctaylor0312
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 52

Post by ctaylor0312 »

Oh gees, I wish I could offer some help. But I'm along with you, I hardly could make a card never mind a Wedding invitation that suppose to be a cherrished event. Good luck I know you'll get lots of help with all the creative minds around here!
ImageImageImageImage
Indy Scrapper
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 47

Post by Indy Scrapper »

I just made 90 invitations to a 50th Anniversary celebration. Very simple and easy to put together.

First I had a photo of the couple that I scanned and then printed on vellum. Printed two up making it 4x 5.5".

Next I did the invitation in Word with all the specific details and also did that two up making it 4 x 5.5".

Cut them, layered the two and tied them with gold ribbon through the punched ribbon holes at the top.

Use the colors for the wedding in the type and ribbon.

Staples carries the right size invitation envelops.

I also used a heart punch to punch gold hearts and adhered them to the cardstock. I don't have the exact invitation put together to scan and show you, but I know you have the vision to see what I am describing.

Best of luck

Suggestion, after you have all the elements created, have the bride invite her briday party and come to your house to assemble. Will go very quickly.
Janie
Live long, laugh often, hug someone.
1grandma
Cherry Addict

Post by 1grandma »

Indy Scrapper wrote:I just made 90 invitations to a 50th Anniversary celebration. Very simple and easy to put together.

First I had a photo of the couple that I scanned and then printed on vellum. Printed two up making it 4x 5.5".

Next I did the invitation in Word with all the specific details and also did that two up making it 4 x 5.5".

Cut them, layered the two and tied them with gold ribbon through the punched ribbon holes at the top.

Use the colors for the wedding in the type and ribbon.

Staples carries the right size invitation envelops.

I also used a heart punch to punch gold hearts and adhered them to the cardstock. I don't have the exact invitation put together to scan and show you, but I know you have the vision to see what I am describing.

Best of luck

Suggestion, after you have all the elements created, have the bride invite her briday party and come to your house to assemble. Will go very quickly.

This is wonderful. I can see it. I had already decided to get the bride to help me. She is wonderful to be with, but she has no idea what goes into getting married. All she is thinking about right now is her dress and what hair style she is going to wear.
Bibi
1grandma
Cherry Addict

Post by 1grandma »

Bump
Bibi
Indy Scrapper
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 47

Post by Indy Scrapper »

I totally understand where the bride is right now. I have a niece that got married in April. She had asked me to help her make the invitations and when we started talking about them and what needs to be done, she went glassy eyed on me. She ended up getting a printable kit at Joann's and made her own. Let me know if I can be of help.
Janie
Live long, laugh often, hug someone.

Return to “General Talk”