Question for Horse Lovers!

Moderator: ACOT Employee

FurBaby_Mom
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 444

Question for Horse Lovers!

Post by FurBaby_Mom »

From what I have been told, horses are pretty smart. Do you think that they like giving rides at places like zoos or ranches? We have a pony ride at our zoo and it looks really cute. I've always wondered if the animals like it or not - and for that reason I've never had Eli ride one. However, last summer in Tahoe, he rode a horse on a hiking trail (with Matt walking alongside) and the horse didn't seem to mind that. I don't know! What do you think?
Amy
"hoarder of supplies"
Grandma Flowers
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 5

Re: Question for Horse Lovers!

Post by Grandma Flowers »

Good question!
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---
1momma
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 9

Post by 1momma »

I can't speak for other places but here all the ponies look like they aren't that well taken care of. I think the ones that get to go out on trails would like it because they get to get out but the ponies that just go around in a tiny circle always look so sad. JMO
koala1966
Cherry Delight
Gallery: 2526

Post by koala1966 »

Honestly I think they do when they are treated right. I had a horse for a long time, and he loved to be ridden (got very grumpy on the days I didn't take him out). Most of the horses I've ever ridden seem to at least not mind, and many of them seem to really enjoy themselves. I think the ideal situation for a horse is to be owned and loved and ridden by one person, but trail/lesson horses who are treated well can live happy lives too. I feel very bad for the horses who are kept in stand stalls or overworked and underfed.

Think of it like walking a dog - have you ever met a dog that didn't like to be walked? :bluewinkb:
killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

I have always loved horses, I can't ever remember not loving them. I have 38 years of owning horses. Believe it or not I'm still learning. We recently adopted a donkey to serve double duty on the ranch. His jobs are as a protection animal for our calves against coyotes. Then his second job will be to halter break the calves we will be showing. I'm just not up to all that any more like I was at the age of 16. I'd always heard and believed how smart donkeys and mules are compared to horses. Well needless to say I was amazed at how smart Donkey is. His name is Donkey, he came with it and answers to it. He can open every gate he comes across unless it has a chain and clip. He is still whole so he's not so happy right now. He's away from the horses so he is alone. If he had stayed in the pasture and not visited our neighbors horses he wouldn't be locked up. He can't go out until we get him gelded.

Ok, in answer to your question. If I saw the horses in question I could tell you if they are happy. Without seeing them I can't tell you for sure. What I see most of the time on "pony rides" is horses and ponies that are bored. Horses get use to their jobs but some love to have a change of pace just as we do. Remember when you pay for the ride, it helps in the care of the horses and ponies.

If your son really loves being around horses get him riding lessons. I've seen wonderful things happen to children when they realize they can control an animal so much bigger then themselves. It is the same on why women are so attracted to horses. As the so called weaker sex we have an animal who gives us unconditional love and is so much larger. He'll learn so many things about horses other then riding one. Just make sure you have the proper helmet before a first lesson.

My biggest pet peeve is a parent buying a horse before the child has had a year or two of riding lessons. Or buying a horse that is too much for themselves never mind a child. I started lessons at nine and received my first horse two years later.

I've also found more kids involved with a large animal (horse, cattle, pigs, goats and sheep) grow up to be very well rounded adults with the ability to make right decisions. 4-H for kids 8 years or third grade and older as well as FFA in junior high and high school are the two best youth programs in the US. Both kept me out of trouble and kept my kids out of trouble. Their friends were all in one or both organizations and they were all doing the same things, showing their animals. It keeps a child very busy and gives them a huge responsibility. It is why I volunteer for 4-H.

Sorry I love to write about horses! They are a part of my soul, I can't live without one.
jaziscrapper
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 152

Post by jaziscrapper »

As long as they are treated well, I think they enjoy the human contact.
bluetulip
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 2

Post by bluetulip »

I'm not sure if they like it or not but aren't they trained for those sorts of things?
ImageImageImageImage
jodcold
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 58

Post by jodcold »

I don't think horses are actually happy being ridden; but they usually don't hate it as long as their rider doesn't yank too hard on the reins and the saddle fits right. It is sort of like asking someone if they are happy doing their job, a lot of people enjoy the job they are doing but would do something else given the preference. Such as would I rather work or have a day off-day off wins!

My horse is the happiest when she is eating and would definitely choose that over any other activity.

She is more perky when I ride her outside than when I ride her inside, which makes me thinks she likes being rode outside more; but she also tends to panic at times while being rode outside. We are working on this and I hope as she gets older she becomes more calm and relaxed.

If most horses really hate something they will buck or rear or toss their head; I think the ponies that give pony rides are just resigned to doing their job and don't hate it, but do it because it is their job.

I would let him ride the ponies.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

Jody H. (jodcold)

Image Image Image

RitaS
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 299

Post by RitaS »

Pony rides at a church carnival was our son's introduction many years ago. We went with a friend, whose daughter had a fear of horses. That girl rode a pony, not just once - but many times. Over and over again that is what they did and they loved it. That little girl, now 15, is a horse nut and wants to run a ranch to take in abused horses.

The ponies that day were very gentle and seemed to enjoy their job. Of course the kids petted them as they rode. The woman who owned the ponies seemed to have a personal relationship with each pony, and they were well cared for.

Pony rides can really be a catalyst to introduce a child to loving animals larger than a kitten or puppy - fortunately, I have not witnessed obvious abused ones.
Rita S

Life is about second chances. There would be no hope if God didn't give us another.

Kara
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 69

Post by Kara »

You know I think some do and some do not. I mean you can see ones that are truly loved, etc (like dogs)....

some are just being used to profit....
Image \ ImageImage
scrapbookaz
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 4

Post by scrapbookaz »

Horses are healers for the body and soul. They can sense when you have difficult and build a silent connection with your mind as well. If they're well taken care of, giving rides allows them to have a purpose and to go to work everyday. Hugs
Never to Hot to Scrap in Arizona!
killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

scrapbookaz wrote:Horses are healers for the body and soul. They can sense when you have difficult and build a silent connection with your mind as well. If they're well taken care of, giving rides allows them to have a purpose and to go to work everyday. Hugs

You hit the nail on the head. I've had that relationship with everyone of my horses but one. That relationship belonged solely to my mother and her mare. They were BFF and so close. This mare's son is the one I have that relationship now but he also has it with my daughter who he belongs to.

I've watched the same relationship with my daughter Lynn and her first show heifer Angel, now senior matron in our herd of cattle. I saw the same relationship with her Hampshire pig Faux Paux.

It is the other reason why I believe an animal project in 4-H or FFA is so healthy for children. Here is an animal that places absolutely no conditions on their relationship and gives unconditional love to the child. If you don't believe it here is me. I would have my head buried in my Black Jack's (my first horse) neck as a teenager and he would curve his head around and give me a hug to ease my pain. I caught the same tender moments with Angel and Lynn and would turn and walk away, knowing Angel was helping in a way I could not. Sometimes when Lynn had a rough day I would tell her to go talk to Angel about it, she would understand and make it better. You should see Angel when Lynn arrives in the pasture, her eyes light up she smiles and makes a bee line for Lynn. Lynn and Angel spend quiet time together for at least 15 minutes. Angel likes me because I'm herd mommy, but I'm in no way her Lynn.

I've seen so many troubled children changed by the simple love of their animal projects within 4-H and FFA.

Kim

Return to “General Talk”