Shock and Awe!!!!

Moderator: ACOT Employee

BugLover
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 30

Shock and Awe!!!!

Post by BugLover »

I have been trying to be the picture of frugality.  I have 1 going into college in the fall, and 1 that's a senior.  I have reason's to save money.
And to know me, you would know that I never ever ever could save money.  If I knew I had it, it was GONE!  I have no patience, and if I want something, I want it now...and someone will loose an ear if I don't get it.  I would hardly ever buy generic, and never really paid attention to what I was buying, and didn't care if it was on sale.  I couldn't leave Walmart without spending at least $300, and I have receipts to prove it!  I've banned myself from Walmart.  But, that's how bad I was....my kids dressed nice, food in the fridge, but my bank account would be crying! 

After figuring out how much tuition was going to cost me...I knew that all would have to stop.  So no more scrapbook supplies, I figure I would use up what I had.  No more buying anything at the grocery store if it's not on sale.  I've put myself on a budget, and joined the grocery game.  No more shopping for clothes, my kids can deal with what they have, or buy their own, they have jobs.

Well...this week showed me it can pay off.   I hit the grocery store yesterday, list and coupons in hand....and saved $102...only spending $54.

Then...last week, when I was having my epiphany, I decided one last splurge..hit ebay, and bid on 12x12 paper.

So yesterday I saved $102
Today, I got my package of 1000 sheets of 12x12 name brand paper that I won for $40!!

I dont' know if I should laugh or cry!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing the word "CLEARANCE"
SarahA
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 358

Re: Shock and Awe!!!!

Post by SarahA »

That is awesome! I've heard of the Grocery Game, but haven't really checked it out. Maybe now I'll have to!
Congrats to you on your willpower- I'm sure it's not easy!
beachlover
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1760

Post by beachlover »

you don't have time for either!  get scrappin!!!! :winkb: :winkb: :winkb:  LOL
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

sdwhru
Cherry Jubilee

Post by sdwhru »

that's a really good buy!!!  Should be proud of yourself.
MLee
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 404

Post by MLee »

Great savings job!

butterfly843
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 874

Post by butterfly843 »

What great deals!!
writerlady
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 448

Post by writerlady »

I'm so impressed!  So - the grocery game is worth the money to join?  If so - please pm me, because I'll join, too.  TY
Please stop by my blog,Writerlady's Craftroom

purplewhale
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 19

Post by purplewhale »

awwww...how nice of you to treat yourself for doing such a good job on your new budget and quest to save some money!  1000 sheets of paper?  

ROFLMWO!!!  Lookie how many more pages you got to scrap!!!

I'm jealous!   ;)

Always the best of luck in your quest.

With WARMEST regards and lots of coupons,
-L 
June Layout Challenge: 0/5 Paper Layouts, 2/2 Cards

immom2anc
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 264

Post by immom2anc »

Since my DH just posted the Good Wife article as our new house rules... I just posted this as my response!! ROFL!! Let's see how long those rules stay posted!! LOL
**Kristen**
My photography: http://www.kristencarterphotography.com
Image Image ImageImage Image
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

What is the grocery game?  Never heard of it.
Bibi
Cimorosete
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 233

Post by Cimorosete »

Wow....you really should be proud of yourself. You really  seem to develop some self discipline and it looks like its paying off. Congrats on your great buys. :-D
((¸¸.·´*~Treasa·´*¨¨))
May LOs-
My Blog

ImageImageImageImage
leslie9887
Cherry Tart

Post by leslie9887 »

I totally know what you are talking about. It's like a hole is burning in my wallet when there is money in it. I have one going to college in one year & ahhhh! we do not know what we are going to do.?!*?!*?! We are praying for a really big scholarship for her since she is a phenominal cheerleader...we'll see. If not, she will have loans to pay then because she is looking at some expensive schools. Anyways, I feel for you! I have been doing the coupon thing & not going to Costco so much (my Costco is your Walmart)...that has helped! I think you should allow some $ money for you to spend, kinda like an allowance that you give yourself. Say give yourself $50 or $100 a month....just so you don't go stir crazy & explode so much that it hurts!   So, what is the grocery game?
Leslie
BugLover
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 30

Post by BugLover »

the grocery game is pretty cool.  You pick the stores you shop at...for me it's meijers and krogers.  Every tuesday they make a "list" you print out, and shop by.  Everything is color co-ordinated...black means it's on sale, buy if you NEED, but it's not rock bottom price.  Blue means it's on sale, rock bottom, save a bunch when you use that coupon.  Green means that you get it for free when you use your coupon. And yes, you do get it for free.
It costs me $15 every 8 weeks to play the game, but WELLLLLLLL worth it!   I went from spending $250wk in groceries to $175 and every week it goes down, because you build up a stockpile.
I have girls at work joining..lol.  I keep taking my receipts to work and showing everyone.  I'm gonna scrapbook the $102 one...that was amazed me!

Heck, I have enough paper, I could scrapbook each one!...lol
Nothing makes me happier than seeing the word "CLEARANCE"
Miss Daisy-NC
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 58

Post by Miss Daisy-NC »

That's great!!!!!   We've had to cut way back too also, I've cut back on buying scrapping supplies too.
Charlotte
SarahA
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by SarahA »

BugLover wrote: the grocery game is pretty cool.  You pick the stores you shop at...for me it's meijers and krogers.  Every tuesday they make a "list" you print out, and shop by.  Everything is color co-ordinated...black means it's on sale, buy if you NEED, but it's not rock bottom price.  Blue means it's on sale, rock bottom, save a bunch when you use that coupon.  Green means that you get it for free when you use your coupon. And yes, you do get it for free.
It costs me $15 every 8 weeks to play the game, but WELLLLLLLL worth it!   I went from spending $250wk in groceries to $175 and every week it goes down, because you build up a stockpile.
I have girls at work joining..lol.  I keep taking my receipts to work and showing everyone.  I'm gonna scrapbook the $102 one...that was amazed me!

Heck, I have enough paper, I could scrapbook each one!...lol
I shop at Meijer and  Kroger, too! I really have to sign up for this now- it's pretty cheap for 8 weeks, really!
BeatrizS
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 222

Post by BeatrizS »

I have been a member of the GG for about almost 2 months.  It hasn't been that great for me because It is something you have to stick with.  Although i have lots of things stockpiled (such as Toothpaste, Toilet paper, paper towels, and pasta) i havent saved AS much as alot of girls do on that site. I also have a very picky husband and 10 mouths to feed.  If i were to buy chicken just because it was rock bottom... He would not eat chicken every day of the week.  By day 3 he would already start complaining....  

The grocery game works for those of you who are looking to save money and are willing to forget about specific brands, and do without stuff.. But the key is for the first couple of weeks  when you go to the grocery store you only buy what you truly need if its not on sale.  and if you have extra money then you purchase the Rockbottom stuff for your stockpile. So if your kids like fruit roll ups (example) and they are not on sale you dont buy them that week they will have to have pretzels instead because they are the rock bottom price on the list.  hth
Ladybug11
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 88

Post by Ladybug11 »

That is wonderful!!  There is nothing like getting a great deal on something!  I remember how amazing I felt when I got the best deal EVER on my Cricut Expression on e-bay!!  It is exhilerating isn't it!!  Well enjoy, and keep up the good work!!! :-D
ArmyWife95
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 160

Post by ArmyWife95 »

Congrats, I think!! :?
jiffy
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 10

Post by jiffy »

Good for you and the shopping discipline you are demonstrating.    Hope it continues with much success for you!    (wish I cud be that good!)
'Beautiful memories tell our story, and wrap themselves in ribbons of the heart.' Flavia

Shanscraps
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 92

Post by Shanscraps »

way to go....
ShanShan

Return to “General Talk”