Save at least 20% on all Fall and Halloween products, no promo code needed! Shop Now

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

Calling All Cherries ~ I need some ideas for ribbon storage
 I have 2 baskets flowing over with spools of ribbon.  Also have some smaller spools in a plastic case.  Anyway, the baskets are piled so high that ribbon is all over the place.  It's hanging off the edge and laying up against the wall.  I know this sounds terrible, but it's just got completely out of control.  Actually, this isn't my fault,  I think it multiplies while I'm sleeping.  I need some storage solutions for ribbon where I don't have to dig through baskets to see what I have.  I may miss an opportunity to use a great ribbon because I don't even know I have it.  I need some way to store my ribbon and be able to see what I have.  Does anyone else have this problem or should I say will anyone else admit to this problem?   LOL  I'm open to all ideas and suggestions.  I know there has to be a better solution. 
Image ImageImage

scrapsakes

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Calling All Cherries ~ I need some ideas for ribbon storage
 don't you know by now, all scrap supplies multiply when you're not looking?! :-D
 i've mine stored in little glass jars, by color, and i can stuff a lot in there too.
"a heart in love with beauty never grows old" Image (turkish proverb)

baltoscrapper

Bowl Full of Cherries

Here's what I do and it's cheap and the best solution I've found thus far....and btw, you're ribbon isn't multiplying while you sleep, maybe you BUY it in your sleep, but ribbon doesn't "do it" just sayin..... :winkb:

Anyway, back to your question...

Buy a few of those clear shoe storage boxes

Cut some chipboard (or cereal boxes or mashed potato boxes (I'll never spell potato wrong after the whole Al Gore incident) into rectangles to easily fit in the box

Take your ribbon off the spools and tape one end to the chipboard and wrap it around and than tape the other end. I have several chipboard spools for each color

Store them horizontally in your plastic shoe box and when you open it, you see everything that you have.  I can take a picture of it for you tongiht, but my camera cord is at the office, so I can't upload a picture until tomorrow.
I used to be a "celebrity cherry", but now I'm in re-hab...... Holy Carp!

justred2u

Cherry Picker

I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions to solve your problem there but I would recommend asking Lana (firemanswife7).  Both her and her husband are great at solving these issues with inexpensive ideas.  I want to say she used a vhs tape organizer or something ... pm her, she is really bright in this area!
Leslie Mar 1/10
ImageImage
1) Rebel. Refuse to accept the idea that creativity is work.
2) Play. Think like a child.
3) Zone. Tune out negative vibes.
4) Feel. Open your heart, nurture your imagination.

GRACEpunches5

Cherry Garcia

floss cards!!! and secure them with a paper clip!!! i have two GIANT rings with all my ribbon- one for solid ribbon and one for patterened ribbon :-)
[url=http://gavinrandyalizacandyellie.blogspot.com/:22hb4o89]http://gavinrandyalizacandyellie.blogspot.com/[/url:22hb4o89]

[color=#ff4080:22hb4o89]Feb. 2010 Crop: 14 Challenges and 5 Fast Scraps
May 2010 Crop: 19 Challenges and 4 Fast Scraps[/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89]
[color=#bf0080:22hb4o89]August 2010 Crop: 9 Challenges and 4 Fast Scraps[/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89]
[/font:22hb4o89][color=#ff8080:22hb4o89]November 2010: 10 Challenges and 5 Fast Scraps[/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89]
[/font:22hb4o89][color=#ff4080:22hb4o89][img:22hb4o89]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/c ... -1-1-1.jpg[/img:22hb4o89][/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89][img:22hb4o89]http://creative.ak.fbcdn.net/v41818/fly ... c52db0.jpg[/img:22hb4o89][img:22hb4o89]http://pagemaps.com/images/blinkies/PMBlinkie88x33.gif[/img:22hb4o89]

sherry

Cherry Bing

I just have a 6 drawer plastic rolling bin thing that I bought at Target.  I have the spools stacked about 3 high in each drawer.  I have the drawers labeled as to ribbon manufacturer or seasonal (Christmas/Fall etc).  It's not that hard to find what I want, tho' it is not the optimal ribbon storage situation.  I didn't want to spend alot on yet another storage container.  It works better than the baskets overflowing would anyway.

terri04

Cherry Bing

I use floss cards too.  I store them in the large plastic craft case, the ones with dividers so I can keep colors together.
I out grew the plastic shoe boxes.
any better ideas out there?

deerewife

Cherry Jubilee

I created my own ribbon bag using a plastic bag that sheets came in.  I'll take pictures later and post.
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)

kcatt79

Sweet Cherry Pie

My pastors wife takes large tins, like popcorn tin, and uses her cropidile to punch holes all the way around the top. Then she dumps all the ribbon spools in the tin, pulls each ribbon tail through one hole, and closes the lid. Then she decorates the tin. I asked if the ribbon got tangled, and she said she has never had a problem. Now she just pulls the tail of the color hanging out that she wants and cuts off what she wants. Her tins are absolutly works of art!

wife of one, mother of FOUR! :)

http://socksscrapsandotherthings.blogspot.com/

dianagirly

Cherry Cropper

I have mine in candy jars! They are sorted by holidays and colors. Image

my3boyz

Cherry Blossom

Here is how I store my shorter pieces of ribbon:

THe bulk of it is on spools and cardboard by color....the Mason jars are great though.... and pretty to look at!! :bluewinka:
Proud member of the Queen & Co. Design Team.
Come visit my blog if you want! Image
http://www.kristinhayne.blogspot.com

asset

Wild Cherry

I've never experienced this problem. Send it to me & I'll see what I can come up with. ;)
~Tessa

I'm not saying forget what you lost
I suppose there's a purpose in pain
What we make of ourselves has a cost
And it's paid every time we take hold of the reins

HollDoll

Cherry Picker

I have to say I was skeptical at first, but I love my ribbon bag!  You use a clear vinyl bag.  One with a zipper at the top might be better than the one I have here with the pull tie.  I had mine lying around.  It must have had a bath set in it or something.  The size of the bag depends on how much ribbon you have.  Mine is smallish and still fits a ton!  Anyway, you just take the ribbon off the spool, make a small slice in the bag with pointy scissors, stuff an end of the ribbon through the hole and the rest in the bag.  So far no tangles.  I really love it cause I can shove the entire bag (all crumpled up) wherever I have a bit of space in my crop bag.  Super nice for traveling.  Ok I am rambling now... here's a picture:

carrie123

Cherry Cola

If they are still on spools, use a paper towel holder. The one that stands on a counter and make a ribbon tree.

Grandma Flowers

Cherry Cropper

Great ideas, ladies.  If I ever decide to get organized, I'll have to try a few.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---

joeysmommy

Cherry Tart

Hi

I store my scraps of ribbon in plastic Making Memories jars.
My "to go" ribbon" is in the side pocket of my XXL Crop in Style tote in their original packaging.
Once the ribbons get too short on the cards or spools they came in they move over to the jars.

Hope that helps.

Natalie
Natalie

candi123

Cherry Blossom

I probaby have over 10,000 yards of ribbon and about a year ago, I decided to purchase "The Ribbon Ring" which is a very inexpensive storage solution!

http://www.ribbonring.com

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

OMG!! I'm amazed at the creativity of all you ladies!  All of your ideas are unique and each wonderful.  Hum... Now to decide which idea will work best for me.   :)  All of the suggestions were absolutely great and thanks for the pics.  If anyone else wants to contritube with pics and ideas to the ribbon storage solution, keep those ideas coming.  I must say, and I'm ashamed to admit, but not once did my little pea picking brain think to take the ribbon off the spool for space saving storage.  I knew the cherries would come through for me!  Thank you!!
Image ImageImage

CaughtULokN2

Cherry Picker

I have all my spools in a drawer, then I cut some cardboard 8" x 3.5" and wrapped my loose ribbon around it for storage.  I also have small sma;;er pieces in ziplock baggies by color.

ladydi8888

Cherry Tart

Floss cards work really well for me.   :inlove:  ! 

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee