Alcohol Inks?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

JulianaM
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 259

Alcohol Inks?

Post by JulianaM »

I just got some, the tools, the blending solution and even some pearl and gold mixative.
Does anyone know of any good tutorials on using these?
Thanks!
bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 571

Re: Alcohol Inks?

Post by bluejeans7 »

You can search Tim Holtz alcohol inks on YouTube and it will bring up a couple different ones.
butterfly843
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 874

Post by butterfly843 »

Tim Holtz also has great dvd's and books which I find helpful.
NJTheresa
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 45

Post by NJTheresa »

dont know of any but I do know how to make dew drops with them.
ImageImageImageImage
JulianaM
Cherry Bomb

Post by JulianaM »

Thanks for the ideas ladies! Off to check them out!
TiikkiStars
Cherry Tart

Post by TiikkiStars »

The only tips I have to share include the one about youtube...search Tim Holtz alcohol inks and just a dab on the applicator felt will do ya, and the blending solution will blend, but also completely remove the ink when you need to do a 'do-over'!  Also, he (Tim) used alcohol inks (AI) a lot on many of his 12 tags of Christmas on his blog in December....way way cool techniques there! www.timholtz.typepad.com  Good luck and have fun!  :>
MamaK321
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1010

Post by MamaK321 »

have lots of fun playing with mixing the colors and also on different materials! Like acrylic, metal, glossy paper, glass. 

You can also get mini spray bottles frolm the craft store, fill with some Isopropyl Alcohol, add a few drops of coloring and voilà, you've got an alcohol ink spray similar to the Glimmer Mists (just w/o the glimmer) :winkb: These are great for adding a light spray of color to papers and other absorbent materials like ribbon and flowers.
Image Image
JulianaM
Cherry Bomb

Post by JulianaM »

MamaK321 wrote: have lots of fun playing with mixing the colors and also on different materials! Like acrylic, metal, glossy paper, glass. 

You can also get mini spray bottles frolm the craft store, fill with some Isopropyl Alcohol, add a few drops of coloring and voilà, you've got an alcohol ink spray similar to the Glimmer Mists (just w/o the glimmer) :winkb: These are great for adding a light spray of color to papers and other absorbent materials like ribbon and flowers.
Thanks for this tip!  I wonder if adding the gold mixative with give it the glimmer?
MamaK321
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1010

Post by MamaK321 »

my only hesitation for doing somehting like that is if it would clog the spray mechanism. but you could certainly try it!
Image Image
JulianaM
Cherry Bomb

Post by JulianaM »

I didn't think of that! Hmmm....
suslvgeo
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 517

Post by suslvgeo »

I saw some demonstrated with acrylic words at an Expo and just had to have it. Yeah that was in September....bought it but never used it and now I cannot remember how they did it. :? GOOD grief! Watching your thread closely! :-D
SUS ImageImageImage
Cherry Blossom

Post by »

Bazzill makes a plastic paper that I can run through my cricut. It works really well with the alcohol inks.
There are no ordinary moments in life!

Kimandasmo
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 829

Post by Kimandasmo »

watching this thread closely--and waiting to see what you do as I have some and have only used them on some of metal em bellies, because I could never figure out what else to do with them
JulianaM
Cherry Bomb

Post by JulianaM »

Dannerpup wrote:Bazzill makes a plastic paper that I can run through my cricut. It works really well with the alcohol inks.
This sounds interesting!

I will be sure to share when I do something with them!
ctaylor0312
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 52

Post by ctaylor0312 »

Tim Holtz uses YOu Tube alot.  Very good thing.
ImageImageImageImage
craftyfool
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 247

Post by craftyfool »

Just when I think I have everything...

I'm bookmarking this cuz I just might NEED some alcohol ink now... :winkb:
Beth-W
Featured Guest Coordinator
Gallery: 459

Post by Beth-W »

I have some and the applicator thingy but haven't tried them either. 

The actual Glimmer Mist product sometimes clogs (in the nozzle due to the glimmer stuff.)  I pull the top off and rinse it like with hairspray pumps (loved me some RAVE in the 80s.)  You could always do that if it does clog.  I think adding the gold or silver might be really pretty!
~Beth
"Make it bigger, make it badder, make it awesome" -Duff Goldman
"They need a hero to tell them that sometimes the impossible can become possible, if you're AWESOME!" -Rhino

http://latteonthebrain.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 571

Post by bluejeans7 »

I just uploaded a layout today titled Happy where I used the Tim Holtz alcohol inks on some acrylic squares.

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”