Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

Flapdoodle

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: I feel the need to educate.
SG_Becky wrote: I'd like to jump into that can of worms.  My major grammar pet peeve (it's more of a verbal one than a written one) is not knowing how to properly use the words "see", "saw", and "seen".  OMG.  I cringe every time I hear someone say "I seen".   I have to fight the urge to blurt, "You SAW.  To use the word "seen" you need to also use some form of the word "be"."  Obviously my grammar and punctuation aren't perfect, but "I seen" just SOUNDS wrong!
Oh, that makes me nuts, too!

I always correct DH whenever he says, "I could've went". *cringe*
ImageIf life gives you lemons, go find an annoying person with paper cuts.

luboost

Sweet Cherry Pie

Despite my obvious disregard for proper sentence structure (have you ever seen me use these '...' lol)  I'm a big stickler for using the correct words.  The other day I was leaving some love and I changed the way I worded something...therefore my you're needed to be a your.  And I noticed it right as I clicked submit!  Aargh!  No editing  the lovin' :(

Flapdoodle

Chocolate Covered Cherry

bumblebby wrote:
  I guess I'm not conveying my thoughts very well.
Oh, I understand you! We are kindred spirits after all. :inlove:

SG_Becky

Cherry Bing

LOL, Diana!  I had an aunt who thought @ meant "and", so her Christmas cards were always addressed to my parents and "@ family".  My mom and I cracked up every time!

I initially tried to correct BF on the "I seen" thing, but I eventually just threw in the towel.  Now I just have to try to disguise my cringing.

sdwhru

Cherry Jubilee

too funny.....so the English language is confusing, no?

ScrapGoo

Cherry Jubilee

SG_Becky wrote: I'd like to jump into that can of worms.  My major grammar pet peeve (it's more of a verbal one than a written one) is not knowing how to properly use the words "see", "saw", and "seen".  OMG.  I cringe every time I hear someone say "I seen".   I have to fight the urge to blurt, "You SAW.  To use the word "seen" you need to also use some form of the word "be"."  Obviously my grammar and punctuation aren't perfect, but "I seen" just SOUNDS wrong!

mykidsmom

Cherry Jubilee

How about loose instead of lose?!  That drives me nuts! 
[HIGHLIGHT=#ffffff]-Melissa[/HIGHLIGHT]

luboost

Sweet Cherry Pie

I'll add two.  Not that they really annoy me, they're just horribly noticable!  The punctuation, when using quotes, goes inside the quotation mark.  Example:  Erica said, "have a nice day."  <-correct    Erica said, "have a nice day".  <-INCORRECT!

And the use of 'close proximity.'  It's just proximity!!!  Saying close with it is like saying close close.  Okay, so that one does bother me! :-D :winkb:

SBcrazee

Cherry Jubilee

luboost wrote: I'll add two.  Not that they really annoy me, they're just horribly noticable!  The punctuation, when using quotes, goes inside the quotation mark.  Example:  Erica said, "have a nice day."  <-correct    Erica said, "have a nice day".  <-INCORRECT!

And the use of 'close proximity.'  It's just proximity!!!  Saying close with it is like saying close close.  Okay, so that one does bother me! :-D :winkb:
close close reminds me of Chai Tea. Chai means tea. Image
ImageImage

Mommybruno

Cherry Cola

I'd like to chat more about this, but I have to go home now, after a quick stop at the liberry. :winkb:
Cassandra
"I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there." --Herb Caen
ImageImageImage

luboost

Sweet Cherry Pie

SBcrazee wrote:
luboost wrote: I'll add two.  Not that they really annoy me, they're just horribly noticable!  The punctuation, when using quotes, goes inside the quotation mark.  Example:  Erica said, "have a nice day."  <-correct    Erica said, "have a nice day".  <-INCORRECT!

close close reminds me of Chai Tea. Chai means tea. Image
I didn't know that!  I only knew the american 'beverage with tea and spices' definition!  Athough, either way... tea tea! ;) :-D

That reminds me of basil!  I HATE that they'll change a dictionary pronunciation just because people don't know how to say a word correctly or have an accent that changes it. :x  Don't get me started!  :winkb:

bumblebby

Cherry Garcia

And the use of 'close proximity.'  It's just proximity!!!  Saying close with it is like saying close close.  Okay, so that one does bother me! Image Image 
Bwahahahaha!! Now you've ruined me. Everytime I hear "close proximity" I'll think of you. :winkb:
I'd like to chat more about this, but I have to go home now, after a quick stop at the liberry.
Liberry!! :-D hehehehe. I love it!

Well ya know, after January comes FEBUARY.

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

LOL!  These are things I see every single day!  I am an Art teacher, but you can bet I circle spelling errors on my students' papers.  They should at least be reminded that English is not just for English class!  Here are my favorite mispronunciations/misspellings from my little, podunk town:

Students in my school go to the liberry.
They get their school pitchers taken once a year.
Some of them warsh their hands before they leave my class.
Most of them seen something on tv last night.
They will prolly see something on tv tonight.
If they like art, they take my drawling class.
Some of them like to create ceramic peaces in my class, as well.
Laura
 Image    Image         Image

Shanscraps

Cherry Bing

thank you... that was information we all needed to hear....
ShanShan

TraciL

Cherry Garcia

affect - effect

TraciL

Cherry Garcia

great, now ima scared to post anythin

jaziscrapper

Wild Cherry

Too funny, I still have to reiterate this to my high school students each year-Bravo (as the English teacher claps her hands in the back of the room) ;)

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

Educate away Jaime!  Unfortunately, I seriously doubt a few posts are going to correct the way someone spells, talks or writes.  :(

Butt, it ISS a learn'ed thang. ;P

Edited cuz I thought Jess started this thread... see, I'm losing it. ;P
Trish ~ It's all fun and games until somebody loses an EYELET!

Flapdoodle

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I love learnin' stuff. :-D

Seriously though, I'd hate not to intentioanlly spell stuff silly on purpose but those who just don't know the difference drive me nutso.

I loved English and the fine arts in school but could not STAND any math other than general math. Adding, subtracting, decimals, fractions and stuff like that? Fine. Just don't give me that complicated stuff like algebra or calculus. *shudder*  Makes my head hurt.

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

Flapdoodle wrote: I love learnin' stuff. :-D
Just don't give me that complicated stuff like algebra or calculus. *shudder*  Makes my head hurt.

LOL! Me too! When you start combining letters of the alphabet with numbers, I get lost.  And my eyes roll back into my head.  And sometimes.. I even go into convulsions.  It's not a pretty sight.  :P
Trish ~ It's all fun and games until somebody loses an EYELET!

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee