I feel the need to educate.

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Mommybruno
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 1318

Re: I feel the need to educate.

Post by Mommybruno »

People around here have a problem saying Walmart. Even though it's big as life up on the side of the store, there are still people who feel the need to tack on a K - Walmark. And these are people that I know can read!! :waiting:
Cassandra
"I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there." --Herb Caen
ImageImageImage
bumblebby
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 5

Post by bumblebby »

I also like it when a sentence begins with a capital letter and ends with a period. I realize I am asking for a lot.

"Your eyes are like deep buckets of molasses.".

Is that a compliment or an insult? :winkb:
Renee
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 353

Post by Renee »

My personal fav is when people tack on an R where it doesn't belong. IdeaR, areaR, spatulaR... :?
Mommybruno
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 1318

Post by Mommybruno »

I'm guilty of pronouncing the H in Cool Whip. Drives my DH nuts!! :-D
Cassandra
"I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there." --Herb Caen
ImageImageImage
suslvgeo
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 517

Post by suslvgeo »

You guys can grammar police all you want, BUT stay away from my.............and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or I am gonna be mad at you. Image :winkb: :-D
SUS ImageImageImage
MamaK321
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1010

Post by MamaK321 »

oh yeah..... the overuse of ......... all the.... time gets me. LOL :-D 

now ya'll have to understand I'm an exception to these rules  LMAO cause I speak my own language, most often with words pronounced (thus spelled) improperly. it's the way I roll. :winkb: (its theyre ...... modge podge)
Image Image
bumblebby
Cherry Garcia

Post by bumblebby »

My personal fav is when people tack on an R where it doesn't belong. IdeaR, areaR, spatulaR... Image 
I once had an english teacher that called me "Rhonder" all the time. She was from England and often put "r's" where they did not belong. (I am not suggesting that all people from England talk like that).
Flapdoodle
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 3

Post by Flapdoodle »

Oh, Sus............joo are soooo seely!!! :winkb:
ImageIf life gives you lemons, go find an annoying person with paper cuts.
ScrapGoo
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 561

Post by ScrapGoo »

bumblebby wrote:
My personal fav is when people tack on an R where it doesn't belong. IdeaR, areaR, spatulaR... Image 
I once had an english teacher that called me "Rhonder" all the time. She was from England and often put "r's" where they did not belong. (I am not suggesting that all people from England talk like that).
Oooh, don't you hate it when it is your name??  I get "Jessicar" all the time from old people in Maine.  :?
SBcrazee
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 28

Post by SBcrazee »

MamaK321 wrote: oh yeah..... the overuse of ......... all the.... time gets me. LOL :-D 

now ya'll have to understand I'm an exception to these rules  LMAO cause I speak my own language, most often with words pronounced (thus spelled) improperly. it's the way I roll. :winkb: (its theyre ...... modge podge)
I'm guilty of the ....(short pause), ................ (long pause), exclamation marks, smilies.
Sorry it gets to you :graywinkb:
ImageImage
Flapdoodle
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Flapdoodle »

Mommybruno wrote:People around here have a problem saying Walmart. Even though it's big as life up on the side of the store, there are still people who feel the need to tack on a K - Walmark. And these are people that I know can read!! :waiting:
Are you sure you don't live in Norf Durrum? :winkb:  (North Durham, NC) 
Flapdoodle
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Flapdoodle »

SBcrazee wrote:
MamaK321 wrote: oh yeah..... the overuse of ......... all the.... time gets me. LOL :-D 

I'm guilty of the ....(short pause), ................ (long pause), exclamation marks, smilies.
Sorry it gets to you :graywinkb:
There's a difference between being silly and serious.  I'm probably more silly than serious.  And I love my smilies! Image
zanettac
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 155

Post by zanettac »

I love my ........ and my !!!!!!!  I am sure I have broken the other rules...I am pretty certain of it!!!!

Carol
Flapdoodle
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Flapdoodle »

zanettac wrote: I love my ........ and my !!!!!!!  I am sure I have broken the other rules...I am pretty certain of it!!!!

Oh guuurrrlll, please.Image  I'd be in jail for life for doing that.

There is a difference between being playful and inferring an accent or slang and being serious.

Knowing the difference is key, KWIM? Image 
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 1270

Post by Laura Fiore »

I know I over use the ... and the !!!, but you can't change me!!!

I will also continue to use gonna and  wanna, but only because I think I am in a hurry, and too (get that...it's the right too?!) important to  type better than I speak! LOL

Bad grammar drives me crazy. What drives me crazier is that, in the schools here, they don't circle grammatical errors because they want to "encourage" the students to write. So my kids, who are straight A students for the most part (Nick wishes we would all forget about that ceramics class!) can't write correctly, because somebody when they were younger didn't want to stifle their writing!

Do they really think that a red circle reminding a student of an improper use is going to stifle them? I don't care if they give them a lesser grade for bad grammar, but you certainly better let them know about it if you're their English teacher!!!!!

Oh crap Jaime...did you know you were opening a can of worms for me?
ScrapGoo
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 561

Post by ScrapGoo »

Laura Fiore wrote:Do they really think that a red circle reminding a student of an improper use is going to stifle them? I don't care if they give them a lesser grade for bad grammar, but you certainly better let them know about it if you're their English teacher!!!!!
I am so with you on this!  I actually DO think that kids should get marked down on many papers (not drafts) for grammatical errors.  Maybe it was my old school Catholic nun education, but that was exactly what English class was FOR when I was a kid.  Sure we read books and had "creative" writing lessons but largely we learned spelling, grammar, and proper writing structure.  Ya know?  Parts of speech, sentence diagrams, shtuff like that. 
Flapdoodle
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Flapdoodle »

I guess I'm not conveying my thoughts very well.

Heck-- I use, "wanna" and "gonna" too! It's slang, and I type that way often.

And kids should be getting marked for spelling errors! HOW the HELL are they going to learn to spell correctly???  This crap about not wanting to STIFLE their writing efforts?  Seriously??
Whatever happened to "If you're going to do it, do it RIGHT."??  What's so wrong with that?
dianagirly
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 812

Post by dianagirly »

Huge pet peeve- people who have no idea what the @ symbol means.
It means AT for crying out loud.Not about, not around... AT!
SG_Becky
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 18

Post by SG_Becky »

I'd like to jump into that can of worms.  My major grammar pet peeve (it's more of a verbal one than a written one) is not knowing how to properly use the words "see", "saw", and "seen".  OMG.  I cringe every time I hear someone say "I seen".   I have to fight the urge to blurt, "You SAW.  To use the word "seen" you need to also use some form of the word "be"."  Obviously my grammar and punctuation aren't perfect, but "I seen" just SOUNDS wrong!
bumblebby
Cherry Garcia

Post by bumblebby »

I guess I'm not conveying my thoughts very well.
Oh, I understand you! We are kindred spirits after all. :inlove:

Return to “General Talk”