Moderator: ACOT Employee

JeanellePaige
Digital Designers
Gallery: 154

Family Board Games?

Post by JeanellePaige »

Does anyone have a game night?
What do you play?
Are there any games for young children that you suggest?

My kids are 10, 8, 5, 4. Every game we have ever gotten they have destroyed! I did put one away, it's a nicktoons DVD bingo game that my 4 year old just found. I just played it with her, she won. lol. I think it was easy enough for her to understand since they have pictures too.
Jeanelle Paige
My Blog ~ Lots of cool stuff there!!
My Shoppe ~ Always Sales!

carrie123
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 699

Re: Family Board Games?

Post by carrie123 »

A really cute game that my daughter and nephew love is Apples to Apples. It is a word game. They also make it for adults...very funny!
-Tracy-
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 439

Post by -Tracy- »

At 4-5 years old, my son LOVED Hi Ho Cherry-O. Oi! We played it all the time!! They also liked Guess Who?

I just saw at Wal-Mart the most adorable new Monopoly game made just for little kids!

Image Image

How freakin cute is that?
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Post by PezKat »

We don't have kids, but a game I recently discovered is the 10 Days series which is both fun and educational!  I have 10 Days in Asia & they also make it for US (which would be best for younger kids), Europe, and Africa I think.  Here's a link (it's by the same company that makes Apples to Apples).
Image Image
suslvgeo
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 517

Post by suslvgeo »

We have family game night and a family movie night. The game that is a huge hit in our household is Topple. Cole is almost 6 and loves it. And George and I have fun with it too.
SUS ImageImageImage
Renee
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 353

Post by Renee »

Alex is 3 and he LOVES games!! Everyday we play Candyland (he has convinced himself that Candyland is a real place and wants to go there), Hi Ho Cherrio, and this animal bingo game we have. For Christmas I got him a Dr. Seuss game. It looks like so much fun, I can't wait to play it! :-D Here's the link to that one.. www.icandothatgames.com/cat/
Firegems
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 15

Post by Firegems »

we really don't have a specific family game night but Kolton and I play a lot of board games. He loves kids monoply, candy land, shutes and ladders, Sorry and more...
Firegems
SBcrazee
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 28

Post by SBcrazee »

My 8 yo loves Sorry & Monopoly. My 4 yo likes Candyland, chutes & ladders & Hi ho cherry-o. We don't have a game night but do play games.
ImageImage
scrapsakes
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 451

Post by scrapsakes »

dh & i taught our kids early how to play chess, scrabble, monopoly
 and even poker (all sorts :-D) without the gambling part, of course
 which teaches them counting, strategy... we also play risk, battle
 ship, etc. and there are versions of these just for the little ones.

we haven't played in a while, but it used to be a friday night thing
 with us, a transition from a long week to a nice mellow weekend.
"a heart in love with beauty never grows old" Image (turkish proverb)
scrappininAK
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1886

Post by scrappininAK »

We love family games - we love to play monopoly, blockus, uno, sorry, quirkle, walk the dogs, drive, amazing labyrinthe.  Walk the dog is fun for all the family and it comes with little model dogs, drive is a fun card game - helps with counting and strategy too, blockus is good for 8-10 yr olds
Heather

My Blog Unleashed
My Etsy Store CutMania
CutMania Newsletter Sign Up
Abu Dhabi
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 88

Post by Abu Dhabi »

BLOCKUS! The square version. It is a game to hook even the oldest and youngest who sit down to play. The youngest might not get the strategy immediately but they'll love playing anyway! Christie
Mommybruno
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 1318

Post by Mommybruno »

ICanHasCherryOnTop wrote: At 4-5 years old, my son LOVED Hi Ho Cherry-O. Oi! We played it all the time!! They also liked Guess Who?

I just saw at Wal-Mart the most adorable new Monopoly game made just for little kids!

Image Image

How freakin cute is that?
I WANT!!
Cassandra
"I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there." --Herb Caen
ImageImageImage
MaBuglet
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 382

Post by MaBuglet »

My kids LOVE Trouble.  We have several versions.  Our game night is Sunday night and we usually try to hook up with my bro and his clan and my mom's house.  7 kids and 5 adults...crazy! pahaha  We play Fact or Crap, Huggermugger and Balderdash at the adult table and the kids play Uno, Operation or Concentration at their table.  Between the two families we have several Scene It versions...fun!
CHEERS~~
Jenn Kellams
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 402

Post by Jenn Kellams »

JeanellePaige wrote:Does anyone have a game night?
What do you play?
Are there any games for young children that you suggest?

My kids are 10, 8, 5, 4. Every game we have ever gotten they have destroyed! I did put one away, it's a nicktoons DVD bingo game that my 4 year old just found. I just played it with her, she won. lol. I think it was easy enough for her to understand since they have pictures too.
OMGosh!!  We love game night around here!  We play at least once a week!  Our favorite is Cranium.  Of course we don't have children so we play a harder version, but there is a version for children too.  It is the BEST game ever!  We also like card games like Phase 10 & Uno.  If they are big Disney Watchers, there is  Disney Scene It game that is a lot of fun.  Yatzee is fun too and pretty easy once you play it a couple of times.   But what is fun is when I go visit my niece and nephews, we play the traditional ones like Candy Land, High Ho Cherry Oh, and Shoots and Ladders.

A suggestion about the games......put all of the pieces in a gallon size zippy bag and put the boxes away until they are old enough to understand how to take care of them.  Or, just put them in your closet and take them down one at the time when its time to play.  BUT, Cranium is a FAVORITE in my book!!!  LOVE it!  Ohhh, or Clue or Sorry!!

Can you tell I am a board game nerd?!?!  lol
Jennifer K.
Personal Blog
NJTheresa
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 45

Post by NJTheresa »

I have a 10 , 8, 5 and 3 yr old. We play monopoly( teams , dh and i each take the 5 or 3yr old, then the 10 and 8 yr old team up)
guess who is fun for all of them. Candyland, Uno. Will be looking for some more games this Christmas for everyone. We dont have a game night but try and
play a few times a month.
ImageImageImageImage
ajsmom
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 167

Post by ajsmom »

We play Uno Attacks, spoons, Ticket to Ride (this is for older kids, but I highly recommend it!!), Sorry, Parcheesi, Chess...
jBlaze
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 1

Post by jBlaze »

My family enjoys The Farming Game.  ;)  My ds played ok when he was 5 or 6 with a little help. He is 7 now and no longer needs help.  It is way more fun than monopoly, but slightly similar play method.   He also really likes Stratigo.  Games just get destroyed when you have kids and you use them, but for the fun you get with your family, it just makes sense to buy new ones.  :)
Jean
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
funny goat stories: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showth ... gest+thing
Mommybruno
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 1318

Post by Mommybruno »

Xander is 5...the games he likes to play are Hi-Ho Cherrio, The Power Ranger Board Game (shoot me, please!), and Toy Story Yahtzee. I've been thinking it's time to branch out, so I think I'll get him a couple of games for Christmas this year.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :-D
Cassandra
"I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there." --Herb Caen
ImageImageImage
Sandi770
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 66

Post by Sandi770 »

You've GOT to get Cranium or Family Edition Cranium ... read about them here!!!

CRANIUM

FAMILY EDITION CRANIUM

These are sooooo fun!!!! :-D
Henu_Nea
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 127

Post by Henu_Nea »

We sometimes do. I have kids 10, 7, 4, & 2 and we like to play Family Cranium and Apples to Apples.
ImageImage
Image Image

Return to “General Talk”