Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

nicoleoh

Cherry Blossom

Help me sort my sCRAPs!!
I'm in the HUGE process of purging/sorting my 12x12 patterned paper but man, the whole idea of what to do with all the scraps is making me nuts!

I've kept a fairly organized system the last few years - I've always kept all my scraps with the same mfg - so, 12x12 AC paper and then a gallon-sized ziploc bag with all AC scraps stored inside and the bag kept with the whole sheets of paper. I don't know...maybe I want a change? Or maybe I could keep all my bigger cuts of scraps in the bag and the smaller ones I could throw into a general storage area for card-making.

The one thing I won't change is my CH vertical storage paper holders. Love those and those work perfectly for me.

HELP!! Give me some ideas! :)

MaBuglet

A Cherry on Top

Re: Help me sort my sCRAPs!!
 Hey Nicole...I feel your pain, sistah!!  I use a legal sized accordian folder for my scraps.  It has about 20 slots in it so I separate my scraps by solid color followed by patterned papers in that color.  It gets dicey with papers that can be several different colors, but I use my best judgement of where I might find it again.  It's not a perfect system, but I can usually find stuff that way and it's all in one place.
CHEERS~~

Queen Mum

Cherry Addict

I have one of those tiered file holders that I use to hold 12x12 zip bags of scraps.

I have them sorted by color with little pieces in smaller zippy bags in the big ones.

It's amazing how much more of the scraps I use now that I have sorted them by color.

As I'm working I toss my scraps in a pile and when I can't stand it anymore I sort them by color and put them in the appropriate bag.
Queen Mum - Grammy to Princess Bump (Lisa Giann) and Princess Bean (Gia Bella)

nene

Cherry Delight

I have 3 boxes(a little larger than a photo box) that I keep mine in. I am actually getting better though because I am trying to use up the scraps on cards or other layouts right away.
Image Image
Rosa sat so that Martin could walk. Martin walked so that Barack could run. Barack ran so that our children could fly.

craftyfool

Cherry Cola

MaBuglet wrote: Hey Nicole...I feel your pain, sistah!!  I use a legal sized accordian folder for my scraps.  It has about 20 slots in it so I separate my scraps by solid color followed by patterned papers in that color.  It gets dicey with papers that can be several different colors, but I use my best judgement of where I might find it again.  It's not a perfect system, but I can usually find stuff that way and it's all in one place.
I do this too.  And I agree it gets dicey with PP that could be several different colors.  But I look at it and decide where "I" personally would most likely look for it again.

I also have a separate slot for "holiday", "licensed" and "specialty" paper.  (licensed=Blues Clues, Princesses, etc; specialty = vellum, metallic, etc)

Ever since I started this system I use my scraps a LOT more.

Good Luck!

montana_girl

Cherry Bomb

Queen Mum wrote: I have one of those tiered file holders that I use to hold 12x12 zip bags of scraps.

I have them sorted by color with little pieces in smaller zippy bags in the big ones.

It's amazing how much more of the scraps I use now that I have sorted them by color.

As I'm working I toss my scraps in a pile and when I can't stand it anymore I sort them by color and put them in the appropriate bag.

Geesh!!  I could have written this -- this exactly what I do!   :-D
And I too have been using a lot more of scraps because of it being sorted this way. 
Stacy

luboost

Sweet Cherry Pie

My scrapbooking is so unorganized it's not even funny!  I think saving scraps by manufacturer is a pretty good idea.  I like the idea of color, but that gets so tricky!  Have fun sorting!erica :)

2rowdyboys

Cherry Tart

I use the accordianfile system too.  But I've also limited to the size of scraps I keep too.  I try not to keep anything to small...and another thing I do to help limit scraps is I try to do another layout with them right away or make a card, so they get used immediately.

baltoscrapper

Bowl Full of Cherries

I have one of those 12 x 12 single file thingies.  I throw my "good scraps" in one (double sided and cardstock) and regular scraps (single sided, flimsy paper) in the other. when I want to make cards I just grab either one (or both) and don't worry about what I cut up and use, since it was scraps anyway!
I used to be a "celebrity cherry", but now I'm in re-hab...... Holy Carp!

allysonc

Cherry Cola

yeah I have them in photo boxes.. I like the file idea better though!
Ally

JulianaM

Cherry Bomb

WOW!  Some of you are quite organized.  I just keep my scraps in drawers separated by either cardstock or patterned paper!

nicoleoh

Cherry Blossom

Wow, some great ideas here for pp!! THANKS EVERYONE! I think I need to decide how small of scraps I want to keep as well. That might help me out.

I do keep my cardstock scraps in accordion files, seperated by colors. I love that way!! 

katarria

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I sort similarly to the others who posted, but have found that throwing the scraps into a smallish box helps.  Then when I'm ready to sort a bunch at a time, I empty the box (from an old ACOT order) and sort them all at once to save time. 

My general rule of thumb on scraps that are too small to bother with is if they're smaller than the size of a computer mouse, I chuck them. 
~Kathy
{hopelessly addicted}

Filling my basket with all of the new goodies :)

nicoleoh

Cherry Blossom

Okay I worked on this for a few hours tonight (as well as the last couple of days) and I think I have a system. I'll take pics when I'm done and share! :)

bethr

Cherry Blossom

Ok..this suggestion ma not be want you want to hear, but a trime saving tip/thought none the less.

Go through your scraps and decide if you really are gong to use them, esp. patterned paper.
I tend to use my scraps atthe time i am making layouts and then, unless they are a basic pattern, throw them away. if i get 4 layouts out of a paper, unless if it is a precut scallop our special edging, out it goes. I used to have packets and packets and never use them. Out of site, out of mind. i am have so many new papers, the little things just got in the way after a while.

Same with cardstock, unless it was a standard color. Is is going to be used soon, if not, gone.
This was hard to get used to in the beginning, but got easier as I became realitic of what bulk of product i had in my stash that had never been used. I needed to get using my stash, not storing it for years!

Hope that helped. i am a storer, gatherer, and all arounb keep it forever girl too and it just got to be too much.
Beth R.
My Blog: http://bethroot.typepad.com

Rusty Pickle DT, Pebbles Inc. DT, Hemar Inc. DT, and Scrapbook News and Review DT

Queen Mum

Cherry Addict

Beth, - this is why I have my scraps in see through zip bags in a tiered file holder.

I see them and will use them for mats, journal boxes, etc.

ANd if I see that I'm getting too many scraps I'll spend a day making cards out of the scraps.  

Having them at hand makes me use them more.   It works well and saves me $$ in the long run
Queen Mum - Grammy to Princess Bump (Lisa Giann) and Princess Bean (Gia Bella)

bethr

Cherry Blossom

That's a good ide about the see through bags.....i am afraid i would lose my bags...bwaaaah!
(I think i just have too much schtuff!!!) Say it ain't so!
Beth R.
My Blog: http://bethroot.typepad.com

Rusty Pickle DT, Pebbles Inc. DT, Hemar Inc. DT, and Scrapbook News and Review DT

scrappinannie

Cherry Tart

i store my sCRAPs in zip locks in colours,ie... bags with blue, pink, yellow etc...
except for MM & basic grey which are stored separately.....
i go through these for sketch challenge LO's  or card challenges
rather than cutting into a full sheet....
any larger peices left are then packed into a shoe box
and given to childrens church or a local kindy for cut and paste....
Scrappinannie

AmyTeets

Digital Designers

JulianaM wrote: WOW!  Some of you are quite organized.  I just keep my scraps in drawers separated by either cardstock or patterned paper!

LOL, mine are in a dresser :D
Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!

steph_1999

Cherry Blossom

I need a better system for scraps too! I have them everywhere! I really need some better organization in my life!

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee