Financial Market crisis

Moderator: ACOT Employee

SBcrazee
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 28

Financial Market crisis

Post by SBcrazee »

Whose been tracking this? The Dow ended nearly 500 points lower -- its worst point drop in more than seven years. Lehman Brothers files for bankruptcy. Merrill Lynch is bought by Bank of America. This really stinks. :?
ImageImage
scrap-4-life
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 138

Re: Financial Market crisis

Post by scrap-4-life »

Saw a bit in the news.  So sad.
~Julie

http://www.joverby.blogspot.com/
Spellbinders DT

craftyfool
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 247

Post by craftyfool »

Yikes!!  i haven't been paying attention at all... :?
Indy Scrapper
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 47

Post by Indy Scrapper »

It scares the pants off of me!!!!  I am too close to retirement to have to start worring about my investments.
Janie
Live long, laugh often, hug someone.
SBcrazee
Cherry Jubilee

Post by SBcrazee »

Indy Scrapper wrote: It scares the pants off of me!!!!  I am too close to retirement to have to start worring about my investments.
I agree Janie. It's going to be the worst for people close to retirement. I'm so afraid to look at my 401K statement & I'm nowhere close to retirement.
ImageImage
MOM2SNOX
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 139

Post by MOM2SNOX »

Oh... I think this is just the tip of the iceberg. Unfortunately, a lot of these financial companies made some poor choices in the last couple of years.  For the moment, the advice for the average layperson is; "Just sit there, don't do anything!"  Give this time to iron itself out (with or without the government's help) and then start looking at options. 
SBcrazee
Cherry Jubilee

Post by SBcrazee »

MOM2SNOX wrote: Oh... I think this is just the tip of the iceberg. Unfortunately, a lot of these financial companies made some poor choices in the last couple of years.  For the moment, the advice for the average layperson is; "Just sit there, don't do anything!"  Give this time to iron itself out (with or without the government's help) and then start looking at options. 
I think so too Trish. But the just sit & give it time, don't panic yet....is what freaks me out even more. How can one not panic when we have no clue about what the future holds & yet nothing sounds promising? Totally crazy. The last comment I read by Peter Stein was "This crisis is clearly deeper than anybody had imagined only a short time ago." :greenconfused:
ImageImage
MLee
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 404

Post by MLee »

Those who have been sitting it out and watching are seeing that it is worsening each day.

I closed out my my son's and my ING fund today. We'll keep watching our larger investments over the next few weeks but I'm getting less and less trusting of our current situation. I don't believe that either person elected in November will be able to undo what Bush has started.

SBcrazee
Cherry Jubilee

Post by SBcrazee »

Themom wrote: Those who have been sitting it out and watching are seeing that it is worsening each day.

I closed out my my son's and my ING fund today. We'll keep watching our larger investments over the next few weeks but I'm getting less and less trusting of our current situation. I don't believe that either person elected in November will be able to undo what Bush has started.
I agree, very true & a very very tough challenge ahead for our next President no matter who.
ImageImage
scraptag
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 567

Post by scraptag »

My mom had just retired when 9/11 happened, and the market took a big plunge then.  She lost about $100,000 dollars and has not recouped her loses even though the market has "gone up" since then.  My advice to you is to take some of your retirement (like those that are already in IRA'S  and put them into self directed IRA'S and  either invest in real-estate (the market is pretty good right now if you can qualify) or stocks that you trust. jmho
Sheri_05
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 9

Post by Sheri_05 »

I just read on-line that there is some concern of panic and trying to deal with a run on the banks...some concerns about how solvent the FDIC is.  Accounts over $100,000 are not secured...putting your money into several accounts.  Good Luck All....
Sheri
naney1952
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 8

Post by naney1952 »

Bad part is that the government is saying that some banks will just have to fail.....they are not going to bail them out like Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae  :?
Jane ImageImage Image
LOYAL COLTS FAN
Janet
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 515

Post by Janet »

I saw that and my heart almost stopped.  I just keep saying....you're in it for the long run, you're in it for the long run....
Kara
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 69

Post by Kara »

ME  and AIJ is in trouble and the feds said no to their beidge lona request....it is scary!!!
Image \ ImageImage
Kara
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 69

Post by Kara »

Themom wrote: Those who have been sitting it out and watching are seeing that it is worsening each day.

I believe you are right and it is sad. WE ARE AMERICA PEOPLE what the hell happened????
Image \ ImageImage
Mom2Bri
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 248

Post by Mom2Bri »

I'm scared. Some of my money is in a couple of different Merrill Lynch funds. I hope I still even have money.
Teresa --"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace."
http://www.acherryontop.com/i/thumbnail ... linkie.gif
beachlover
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1753

Post by beachlover »

wow; scary stuff! missed the newss the past few days 
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

Janedee
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 90

Post by Janedee »

It's definitely pretty scary!  We're hoping to retire in the next few years and it's pretty tough to see the kind of losses we've been seeing just lately! 
Jane
Kathy
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 165

Post by Kathy »

This situation was expected. Last spring I read a report by a group in Europe which said come August or September the USA would be in bad financial shape, stocks, banks, etc. Well, here we are, right on time as the think-tank expected. I personally don't think it's going to get better, either, anytime soon.

If you are in debt, one of the best things you can do, if at all possible, is get OUT OF DEBT.
Kathy
For His honor
unkit
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 15

Post by unkit »

yes.  this is a real and scary crisis.
I agree that the best thing in this economy is to downsize and get out of debt.   and I think it is not going to be "good" for some time. 
Sudie

My blog and kit club www.UnKit.wordpress.com (affiliate with ACOT)

Return to “General Talk”