Alcohol Inks

Moderator: ACOT Employee

bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 571

Alcohol Inks

Post by bluejeans7 »

I have never tried alcohol inks before but I would love to.  Can anyone give me any hints or helpful tips?  And I would love to see items that you have created with them or used them on.
suslvgeo
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 517

Re: Alcohol Inks

Post by suslvgeo »

I had never used them either, but at an expo a couple of weeks ago, a couple of friends of mine here did a make and take with them and acrylic words....HOLY MACKERAL was it cool.....let me see if I can find a pic of it.

of course I cannot find a pic....

basically what she did is use the applicater and two or three dots of the ink, (she mixed two togetether and it was GORGEOUS) and dabbed it onto the acrylic word. Let it dry and then used staz on white and a stamp to put a pattern over it. Needless to say, I have no bought some. I am gonna be trying it soon and I will let you know how it goes!
SUS ImageImageImage
suslvgeo
Cherry Addict

Post by suslvgeo »

I added more info to above post :)
SUS ImageImageImage
FurBaby_Mom
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 444

Post by FurBaby_Mom »

I ONLY use alcohol markers - and the effect is amazing.
Amy
"hoarder of supplies"
MLee
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 404

Post by MLee »

I have used them a loved them. I'm on the way out the door and will post more later but JULES in Paradise I think has done some great things with them in the past. Get her to show and tell! :)

Kimandasmo
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 829

Post by Kimandasmo »

Hint # 1 when working with these-- make sure you cover your work area well, and I wear gloves. 3 days of blue fingers and I learned my lesson. I have mostly used them to change the color of some of my metal elements, but I have seen some awesome things done with them.
nene
Cherry Delight
Gallery: 572

Post by nene »

ARGH! I had a whole reply typed with all the examples from my gallery and then I lost it.
I have used them on acrylic and also on foil. Love them. I haven't mixed them, I just cover the item with the stuff and then wait for it to dry.
Image Image
Rosa sat so that Martin could walk. Martin walked so that Barack could run. Barack ran so that our children could fly.
bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries

Post by bluejeans7 »

I've been looking online since I didn't see them here at ACOT.  So is $2.79 a good price for a bottle of Tim Holtz alcohol ink?
suslvgeo
Cherry Addict

Post by suslvgeo »

is there a Michaels near you? I got mine there with my coupon...a three pack.
SUS ImageImageImage
TraciL
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 238

Post by TraciL »

I think I used these at a make and take somewhere and I must have used the wrong color combos because it looked like someone vomited!

Sometimes I am not the most coordinated
bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries

Post by bluejeans7 »

suslvgeo wrote: is there a Michaels near you? I got mine there with my coupon...a three pack.

The closest one is 3 hours away.  LOL!
naney1952
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 8

Post by naney1952 »

bluejeans7 wrote:
suslvgeo wrote: is there a Michaels near you? I got mine there with my coupon...a three pack.

The closest one is 3 hours away.  LOL!
Yikes! Guess you're not going to Michael's...lol
Jane ImageImage Image
LOYAL COLTS FAN
butterfly843
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 874

Post by butterfly843 »

I use them on acetate and a few years ago decorated clear ornaments with them. Just be prepared to color your fingers when you use them.
budy
Cherry Tart

Post by budy »

i love them, i use a plastic craft tray 2 put what im dyeing on because it will stain while wet.
Northern Brat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 253

Post by Northern Brat »

I've used them!  I made a tin with them, colored scotch tape and used them on ghost letters and acrylic pages!  They are fun to work with and the effects are super cool!
Leslie
2012: Goal - 75 layouts 4 mini albums 20 cards --------> Progress - layouts mini album - cards
J - /6
ImageImage
scraprageous
Cherry Tart

Post by scraprageous »

I have used them on the metallic tape from a hardware store - looks great (cut out and ink letters), on slides, transparency paper, glossy paper (really cool on swirls and flourishes), metallic embellies, and give them a try on skittles that are colors you don't really use - wow do they fix them right up!
MamaK321
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1010

Post by MamaK321 »

I don't have photos of all my stuff but I've got all the supplies, haven't played with them in a while though. Use the alcohol inks alone or with the special extender formula to help it blend. It is best to use a felt applicator, Tim Holts/Ranger has all the supplies you'll need including the wooden handle and replacement felt applicators. They work on any non-porous surface. acid free, permanent, quick drying, and transparent. Use the inks on acrylic, glass, plastic, metal or glossy paper. I like to add some metallic paint pen to give it a little sparkle. Also looks great finished with some gold leafing or metallic tape.

Image Image
JulianaM
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 259

Post by JulianaM »

Every time I see these used, I really wish I had some!  The HL here carries them!  I should just break down & get them!  Heck I can even use the coupon!!!  I saw Ali Edwards using them at CHA & she just applied dots randomly all over acrylic album pages & of course they looked awesome.  She has a way with taking simple & making it look great!

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”