Micro Beads & Glitter

Moderator: ACOT Employee

TraciL
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 238

Micro Beads & Glitter

Post by TraciL »

Can you recommend the adhesive you use on microbeads or glitter?  I want to start using these (especially the beads) and I don't want to try a zillion things before I find what works best.

I saw someone doing beads at a crop and she was really frustrated with the glue that was recommended by a sales person at a different store.  It looked to me like she was taking the bead to the glue and then trying to stick it down.

I assumed you would put the adhesive on whatever you were decorating and then over a tray with a funnel dump the beads on it and kinda press them in if needed and when you had enough on it dump the tray back into the bead box, bag whatever  - is that what you do?

I don't feel like a glue stick would be 'sticky' enough - same with glitter. 

I have a Stmpin Up 2 way glue pen, or this stuff called 'goo' that holds down alphabet soup -

what do you think works best?

Thanks
Traci
cat1393
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 221

Re: Micro Beads & Glitter

Post by cat1393 »

I used Modge Podge. Went on smooth w/ a small paint brush...clean up is easy. Some people don't like to use that. I thought it worked great. I used it on chip board for my "Carefree" LO in the gallery.

Christine
scrapbelle
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 51

Post by scrapbelle »

I haven't had much luck with microbeads or glitter.  I just gave up!  I tried many things including the double sided sticky stuff that is supposed to be for beads! 

I'll be watching this post to see what others recommend!
Image Image
Northern Brat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 253

Post by Northern Brat »

I've used glue or adhesive with the micro beads, to get the beads in place and then finished it with Glossy Accents.  They stayed put and it looks great!  I've also used Glossy Accents as the glue for the glitter.  Good luck!
Leslie
2012: Goal - 75 layouts 4 mini albums 20 cards --------> Progress - layouts mini album - cards
J - /6
ImageImage
Bernadettte
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 135

Post by Bernadettte »

Therm O Web has a a tape called SUPER TAPE (double sided).  Comes in different sizes. Fantastic stuff!!  I have used it with beach sand and it's still sticking! :winkb:
baltoscrapper
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 358

Post by baltoscrapper »

My fav for those things is Diamond Glaze.  It's an adhesive, but also gives stuff a really shiney finish.  When using it for beads, pour the DG on your project and drop those beads on it, wait a few minutes and shake off the excess. 
I used to be a "celebrity cherry", but now I'm in re-hab...... Holy Carp!
craftyfool
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 247

Post by craftyfool »

Would most of these ideas work for Flock too??
DaisyLou
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 202

Post by DaisyLou »

For micro beads I like a lacquer too. I use glossy accents. I put a layer, then sprinkle micro beads, then after it dries you can finish with another layer or not as you like!

For glitter I just use white glue and didn't really have a problem. It definitely stays better if you finish with a lacquer though.  And of course stickles is glitter and adhesive all in one and it always sticks great!!

And for flock, I think it absorbs moisture so it's better to stick to the double sided tapes for a more smooth even finish. You can get sheets of it that you can trace your shape onto the back and cut out for full coverage, or I just use my atg and put strips of adhesive next to each other. I've never had a problem with the seams showing yet, but I'm also fairly new to flock. I also find that it works better if you press on it before you dump off the excess.

I've heard that the tacky tape (the red stuff)  works for all of them, but I've yet to try it...

HTH!
MLee
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 404

Post by MLee »

Ranger Glossy or Matte Accents OR the double sided "pink" tape that you can find at most hobby and craft stores. It works like a charm and it's not really pink - that's just the color of the backing.

pjw
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 376

Post by pjw »

The double sticky tape is terrific for the glitter and flock.  The lacquer I think works the best with the beads as it holds them more securely to your project.

There are a couple of places that have the BEST glue for glitter ~~~ Sparkle 'n' Sprinkle. & Art Institute of Glitter. (psttt they also have some terrific glitter ;) SnS has some great brushable glue that works great.  It's a bit thinner and very easy to work with. They also have 3 dimensional glue (if you want your item to pop out) and ornamental glue (for use inside of ornaments).  AI has glue in a bottle with a metal tip you can attach to it for very fine glue lines. Also you can use the Quickie glue pen.  It's like an ink pen with glue and terrific for writing (then adding glitter) and getting into really small areas/outlines of projects and the glitter stays put.

Hope this helps. 
suslvgeo
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 517

Post by suslvgeo »

Listen to Patti....she is the resident glitter (and anything sparkly :-D) queen!!!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
SUS ImageImageImage
lizziej
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 81

Post by lizziej »

For microbeads, I have used Magic Scraps' Scrappy Glue, and it works great!  I also use it for fine glitter. 

Patti (pjw) is indeed the resident Queen of Sparkle and Glitter!  I'm going to need to try out the stuff she has suggested!
Liz - HOOK 'EM HORNS!!
The only good addict is an alpha addict!
baltoscrapper
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 358

Post by baltoscrapper »

That Patty, she's a sparkley one!
I used to be a "celebrity cherry", but now I'm in re-hab...... Holy Carp!
ScrapSis
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 1

Post by ScrapSis »

I use Glue dots - generally the thicker, 3 D ones. Stick down the dot, dip it in my microbeeds or glitter and just tap them down with my finger - works great.

Tina
Tina
jenniwren32
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 309

Post by jenniwren32 »

I use a lot of beads on my altered stuff and I love the Diamond Glaze, I've also used Mod Podge and that works well too!
TraciL
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 238

Re: Micro Beads & Glitter--thank u all

Post by TraciL »

i can't wait to go buy this stuff and get going!  THANK YOU
budy
Cherry Tart

Post by budy »

iuse fabri-tac, it sets up quick & dries clear.

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”