We're celebrating World Card Making Day with 20% off the regular price of everything! Use code CARDS20

4peasinourpod

Wild Cherry

Re: questionable school field trip
 Our fifth graders went last year.  It is the year that the cirriculum includes the human body anatomy.  ALL of it :winkb:

I had a 6th grader and a 4th grader, so it wasn't an issue...but I would have let either one of them go.  I was actually going to take both of them, but things happened, and the exhibit was gone before I knew it :?.  I agree..it depends on the child.  My friends Sallie took ALL her kids (ages first grade and up) and they ALL loved it.  She shared her book with me, and my kids loved looking at it.

I would want to be there, though.  In case my child was uncomfortable, or if there was misbehavior kids, snarky comments, etc...
~pam~

dianagirly

Cherry Cropper

I saw that report about it actually. I am a person with Chinese heritage and I agree 100% that these people did NOT give consent to their bodies being mutilated like that. What a lot of the world doesn't understand is just how closely China is still linked to it's past. They hold such a high respect and reverency for their ancestors. They believe the body to be sacred. This is true of even the most "modern" Chinese I know.
I think they should have made way or plaster molds of the body... not mutilated the body by MAKING it plastic.
Plus, it's really creepy for children.

*Off my soapbox*

Renee

Chocolate Covered Cherry

jjenni08 wrote:
Renee wrote: I would love to see it but I don't think it's field trip material. I think if my child was mature enough and could handle the material I would be the one taking him to see it. I saw the 20/20 special and think that the exhibit looks so fascinating.  It is creepy that they're not saying where they get the bodies though... :?
You can go to the website, they do tell you. :)
Ok, thanks! I saw it...
When I clicked on the link it opened up and showed one of the bodies from the exhibit. Alex (he's 3) comes in and said, "mommy, why's he ripped?" LMAO

CamsMomma

Sweet Cherry Pie

ohmygosh i hear this exhibit is amazing!!!  we missed it when it was here too, but i sooooooo wanted to go.  i thought it was staying a week longer than it was, and totally missed out :(
personally i think a 5th grader should be old enough to handle it, im pretty sure i would have been.  buuut every child is different and maybe such a graphic exhibit should be seen with your parents and not with your school.  we went on several museum field trips when i was in 5th grade, and half of the stuff in those had to be close to as disturbing and we were fine.
Image Image

Mommybruno

Cherry Cola

I just checked out the website. I personally think it's a bit creepy, not sure I would go to it myself. Also not sure I'd send my son if he was in the 5th grade. The preservation process is amazing, to be sure, but I don't know...just really creepy!
Cassandra
"I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there." --Herb Caen
ImageImageImage

MLee

Cherry Cola

I agree with Jennifer.

I think we tend to isolate our children too much from the human body and then they explore on their own in ways we find less desirable.

The body is a beautifully created thing and should be studied and understood. I can't imagine a 5th grader not being curious and finding it fascinating. I remember in the 5th grade what I studying - it was the first time I ever saw a preserved mummy from Africa. I became an historian because of that one field trip. Who knows, these kids may all become doctors or even better?

Yes, these bodies came from questionable places but they are now being used for good purposes. In most eastern cultures to help gain knowledge in the afterlife would be a great tribute for that person. 

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee