Dear First born child

Moderator: ACOT Employee

peanutdlb
Cherry Tart

Dear First born child

Post by peanutdlb »

Hello.  I have been looking all over for a poem today that my Mom had when I was a kid.  It was a letter to the first born child, middle child and the baby.  Has anyone come across this anywhere.  I am trying to put together a scrapbook for my Mom for Christmas, and this poem would be perfect. Thanks.
pnutsmum
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 227

Dear First born child

Post by pnutsmum »

I've Always Loved You Best(I am not sure who wrote the original of this but it has been around a long time. Here are a couple of versions. It is pretty easy to alter it to fit your particular situation.)Dear First BornI've always loved you best because you were our first miracle. You were the genesis of a marriage and the fulfillment of young love. You sustained us through the hamburger years, the first apartment, our first mode of transportation (1955 Feet), and the seven-inch TV we paid on for 36 months. You were new, had unused grandparents, and enough clothes for a set of triplets. You were the original model for a mom and dad who were trying to work the bugs out. You got the strained lamb, the open safety pins and three-hour naps. You were the beginning!Dear Middle BornI've always loved you the best because you drew a tough spot in the family and it made you stronger for it. You cried less, had more patience, wore faded hand-me-downs, and never in your life did anything first. But it only made you more special. You were the one we relaxed with, who helped us realize a dog could kiss you and you wouldn't get sick. You could cross a street by yourself long before you were old enough to get married. And you helped us understand the world wouldn't collapse if you went to bed with dirty feet. You were the child of our busy, ambitious years. Without you, we never could have survived the job changes and the tedium and routineness that is marriage.To My BabyI've always loved you best because while endings are generally sad, you are such a joy!! You readily accepted the mild-stained bibs, the lower bunk, the cracked baseball bat, the baby book that had nothing written in it except a recipe for graham-cracker piecrust that someone had jammed between the pages. You are the one we held on to so tightly. You darken our hair, quicken our steps, square our shoulders, restore our vision, and give us a sense of humor that security, maturity, and durability can't provide. When you hairline takes on the shape of Lake Erie and your own children tower over you, you will still be our baby!!!
arcticbreeze
Cherry Picker

Dear First born child

Post by arcticbreeze »

Wow, these are great
peanutdlb
Cherry Tart

Dear First born child

Post by peanutdlb »

I finally found the original for this my Mom had stored away.  It was from an Erma Bombeck column from 1971, and is now published in one of her books.  Thanks again.
Charleneanne
Cherry Delight
Gallery: 1504

Dear First born child

Post by Charleneanne »

so glad you found it.  Having 3 kids, it has always been one of my favorite pieces by Erma Bombeck.   she was a truly wonderful writer.
shanierae
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 144

Dear First born child

Post by shanierae »

I might change the I always loved you best.....to You will always have a special place in my heart because.... or something similar just to not hurt one of the kids feelings if I forgot to use the correct one in their album :-) 
Renee
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 353

Dear First born child

Post by Renee »

This is great!
Kris2you
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 18

Dear First born child

Post by Kris2you »

That is a great poem. I had never heard of it but loved it. TFS
.:.It started with a kiss and ended like this.:.
Kristen - wife to Joe and mommy to Joey (6.23.06) & Bayleigh (2.17.10)
MaBuglet
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 382

Dear First born child

Post by MaBuglet »

I'll have to come up with a 4th entry for the Boomaloom
vpowell
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 2

Dear First born child

Post by vpowell »

I read that one years ago, but had forgotten about it.  Thanks for sharing!
Nanna-Star
Cherry Bing

Re: Dear First born child

Post by Nanna-Star »

Loving this and so much i so true!
Christina

Return to “Quotes and Journaling”