Pat Conroy Books

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Flasher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 340

Pat Conroy Books

Post by Flasher »

Let me preface this by saying that I haven't read any Pat Conroy books . . .What to do you think about this?http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071107/ap_ ... _battleI'm totally against any sort of book banning.  Period.  I don't like the tone of the article implying that this debate is pitting students against their parents.  If you're under 18, your parents do, in fact, have the right to prohibit you from reading certain things, just as they have the right to monitor the movies you watch and the music you listen to. I say that if there are parents that are okay with their child reading these books, then the kids should be allowed to read them.  I agree with the article where someone states that kids read and see much more graphic news headlines on a daily basis.  I'm absolutely sure that's an accurate statement.Like I said, no one should be banning books.  But, I can see how some parents would find some books inappropriate for their child, and I support their decision to not allow their child to read it.  However, it shouldn't be an "across the board" type of decision.
amtmhj
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 104

Pat Conroy Books

Post by amtmhj »

I agree Laura.Jr
Queen Mum
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 185

Pat Conroy Books

Post by Queen Mum »

I don't think the books should be banned (make note - I haven't read the books)    

If there is something in them that the parents object to because of content, then yes, they can say they do not want their child to read them.     (but wanna bet that the kid is gonna find a copy to read it just to find the juicy parts?)

I have more of a problem with the school that showed an R rated film (Mississippi Burning, I **think** it was) to 9th graders when they were studying civil rights.   The parents did not know about it until after.   Not a one of those kids was 17 (which I think is the age you can get in to an R rated movie on your own) 
anthacat
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 2

Pat Conroy Books

Post by anthacat »

I love both of those books a lot.  In fact, Beach Music is one of my all time favorite books and I usually re-read it at least once a year.Not only do I disagree with banning books on principle, but I think anyone who wants to ban those two in particular, must be pretty spectacularly stupid.
koala1966
Cherry Delight
Gallery: 2526

Pat Conroy Books

Post by koala1966 »

I'm against banning books of any sort, in the public sector.  Adults can choose whether or not to read a book based on their preferences and beliefs.  I do think parents should have a say over what their children read, particularly younger children, and that books in the school library should be age appropriate based on what grades attend that school.  I think that books with overly graphic depictions of violence or containing foul language should have some kind of rating or warning label on them, particularly if they are going to be allowed in a setting where children will be the customers.  I don't think high school students need to read books containing descriptive narrative on sex and violence as a part of their course curriculum, I'm sure there are plenty of books with a more PG rating that would be just as useful to their learning.
twinsmom1
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 82

Pat Conroy Books

Post by twinsmom1 »

isn't banning books against a person's freedom of speech?  I would think so.  I know I would get introuble when I was younger when I called people names.  Isn't that a violation of freedom of speech?  I know some may view it different if children are involved, but it is still the same.  I also feel that people who are trying to ban certain words from the pledge of allegiance are infringing on my freedom of speech to say them.  There are so many things now days that infringe on our rights as citizens but I do no say anything about it, although there are times it really pisses me off that there are groups and individuals who are trying to ban, do away with, rewrite parts of history because they are just afraid!--and too lazy to overlook it!
scrapn4me
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 5

Pat Conroy Books

Post by scrapn4me »

I loved both of these books, especially Beach Music.  All Mr Conroy's books are great.  The Great Santini was another one - story of a father who was die hard military and ran his family that way.  And then Prince of Tides with it's sexual abuse (family).  The stories don't emphasize the underlying behaviors but instead work around the results of the underlying theme.  They reflect life in my opinion.  To ban books is against the First Amendment and shouldn't be done nor tolerated.  If a parent doesn't want them to read the book, then don't read it.  But aren't there worse problems in the world?  I mean come on - get rid of violent video games will you.  Now that's a different subject all it's own.  I bet the same parents who want to ban these books have a PS in their house with violent, gun-toting video games.  Go figure.  Terri

Return to “General Debate”