Feeling bad about my work.

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Smiley-Scrap8
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 889

Post by Smiley-Scrap8 »

Hello ladies,Everyone here is always so nice I was hoping you make me feel better about something someone said. I too have recently done some craft shows of my scrappy and altered items. At the most recent show someone asked me to make a product I didn't actually have. It was a small accordian album in a tin so that she could put pictures of her son and daughter in her purse without them getting bent. I said sure I could to that, she told me the colors and everything she was looking for and then order 3 of them one for her and two for the grandmothers.So I made the first one and e-mailed her pictures, she said it looked great and to go ahead make the others. Well she got them yesterday, sent me and e-mail today which said thanks and that they looked great except for one thing. There were smudges all on the edges of the pages. So I emailed her back and explained what inking was and that I had done that on purpose to help unify the album since there were many different patterened papers side by side. Now she saw my other work at the craft show and I ink many things and she saw the pictures with the inking. I just feel bad that she didn't like what I worked so hard on.What do you think. 
Ronny
FurBaby_Mom
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 444

Post by FurBaby_Mom »

Ugh.....I take stuff like that really personally.  My husband doesn't care for the distressing and inking and sanding, which I sometimes do.  He tries to be all nice about it!  But he tries to offer ideas and suggestions for changing it.  It usually irritates me!That's tough - so sorry that happened.
Amy
"hoarder of supplies"
nene
Cherry Delight
Gallery: 572

Post by nene »

If you sent her the pics of the 1st prior to completing the other 2, then it was on her to ask you to tone down the inking if she didn't like it. I wouldn't feel bad about it at all.
Beth-W
Featured Guest Coordinator
Gallery: 459

Post by Beth-W »

I wouldn't feel bad.  Just like Amy's dh, my dh doesn't get the whole distressing and inking thing.  I think it is a personal preference. I don't have a clue what I would do though about the work.  If she okayed it after seeing the first, it doesn't seem right for you to eat the cost on remaking them.  But, I know I would feel badly if someone didn't like something I made and want to do what I could to make them happy. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Pegster
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 263

Post by Pegster »

Ohh don't feel bad about that, but I can relate to how you are feeling,,since someone made the same comment to me too and just told them that I like the dimension it gave and then they agreed..I don't know if they were being polite or what..but I felt better about it.I pretty much ink everything a "tinge" anymore( when making for others) and then on other things for myself I really ink it up..(depending on the look I am wanting) I geess non scrappers just don't it..but do't let it bother you.
Peggy
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 1270

Post by Laura Fiore »

Hmmm, too bad she "didn't get" your work! I'm sure it was lovely. I wouldn't feel bad about it though, because everyone has different tastes. Maybe she was just having buyers remorse and was trying to get out of having to pay for them all.
Northern Brat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 253

Post by Northern Brat »

Personal preferences...If she saw your other work with inking, she should of asked about then and there...then okaying your work ..to then make comments...I would say "water off a ducks back"  It's your art...people can take it or leave it.
Irocz7
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 149

Post by Irocz7 »

I agree with the fact that she already ok'ed the first album and gave you the go ahead.  She needs to live with her choice, pay you and move on.
TheFiberLady
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 266

Post by TheFiberLady »

she knew what it looked like..some people just aren't in to distressing...i however ink almost every item that goes in my albums
DebbieGall
Cherry Tart

Post by DebbieGall »

You don't have anything to feel bad about, you did your best; that's all you can do. She saw your work and she liked it or she would not have ordered three more.So shame on her. You dont comission an artist then tell him how to paint! this is your art.
1LuckyMom
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 155

Post by 1LuckyMom »

Awwww.  Try not to feel badly.  She clearly DOES like your work, but doesn't understand  or doesn't appreciate distressing!  She's very clearly a non scrapper
NJTheresa
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 45

Post by NJTheresa »

ah well I think if she saw your work then she should have said something then. I wouldnt worry about it
baltoscrapper
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 358

Post by baltoscrapper »

I would ask her what she wants you to do.  I would (remind) her that you did email pics and you thought that the inking was ok with her or she would have said something at that point. 
MamaK321
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1010

Post by MamaK321 »

I wouldn't worry too much about it. She'll learn to like it. Distressing is a hard subject, people either like it or don't. Like you said, your other work and photo examples for her showed the inking so she can't complain that you added it against her wishes.
Mommybruno
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 1318

Post by Mommybruno »

I've done a couple of albums for people at work, and it's always so nerve-wracking! What if they don't like it? I think you did the right thing, you e-mailed her pics before getting the whole project done. She okayed it, so that's that. Not everyone has the same scrappy tastes, but she had a preview of yours before you even started, so it shouldn't have been that big a surprise.My own DH has a real problem with white space on a layout. Whenever I have one like that (not too often, admittedly!) he keeps asking what else I'm going to put on it. As long as you're happy with your work, that's all that matters!
Cassandra
"I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there." --Herb Caen
ImageImageImage
FairyMouseMom
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 943

Post by FairyMouseMom »

I take things like that personally, too.BUT, I agree with the concensus here.  I wouldn't worry about it.
vel
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 21

Post by vel »

Aww, that really stinks! I understand how you feel, too. Sometimes I'll get done with a page I'm particularly proud of, take it out to show the boys and just get a shoulder shrug (or worse, a comment like, "how come you didn't line these up" or whatever). Kinda bursts your bubble, I know. On the other hand, she saw the pics, she OK'd it and I'll bet once she really takes a good look (and shows others) she'll change her mind about the inking. I think people outside the craft sometimes don't understand why you do something, but once you explain how it would have looked otherwise, a light bulb goes on. Try not to take it personally...I know, easier said than done.
Bernadettte
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 135

Post by Bernadettte »

I wouldn't let it worry you!  She's just using it as an excuse to get a discount!!!

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”