What to do with extra postage?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

deerewife
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 483

Post by deerewife »

Just curious cause I'm hosting for the first time.What do you do with extra postage/money?This isn't meant to flame...I'm curious.  As some sent $5.00 to get a box back - there's change left over.  Some sent stamps for a flat rate - it may not cost that much.  How's this normally handled - do we have a prodedure/guideline? Jenna
DN in MN
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 447

Post by DN in MN »

Ohhhhh good question!   I was wondering the same thing....Me personally, I wouldn't want change back as I could have easily put the correct amount in there :)
2024 Layout goal ~ 14/100      2024 Word ~ FOCUS

corriekate
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 71

Post by corriekate »

As I have done in my experieces...I have included the postage...not money.I figure I am at the PO why not just slip it in the bag before I seal it. 
ctaylor0312
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 52

Post by ctaylor0312 »

Ok, you must be talking about me . . . LOL. I always put just a $5.00 in for shipping and handling.  For the simple fact, change jinggles . . .  You never know what people (postal) might thinik you have in the box.So Personally - When I send cash and it's over - keep the change.  Use it for someone that might have not sent just enough postage.  That way you won't have to worry about it, you'll have the change that I sent.  LOL
ImageImageImageImage
Vicky
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 96

Post by Vicky »

If the swap requires $4.60 priority and I put in $5 - I figure the hostess can keep it.    But if I send in the priority shipping for more then one swap and I end up being in several swaps for one hostess and if they end up sending in a flat rate box and I sent  in a lot more then what was required for the swap, then I would think the hostess would return the extra if its quite a bit.  Thinking that happen to someone on here, new to swaps, they sent in $5 for each swap (not knowing how they combine the shipping) and were in quite a few and then flat rate box would have meant they overpaid a very large amount, in that case, I would have sent the extra back to the swapper with her swaps.
twinsmom1
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 82

Post by twinsmom1 »

I have a few who have sent $5, I will buy the stamps and send them back the extra.  For thos who sent checks or stamps, I will send back the extra.  I don't feel right keeping it if it is not mine.  Hope this helps!
TheFiberLady
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 266

Post by TheFiberLady »

i put dollars in the bag before i seal it and since i got barked at when i put the change in a box once and had to reopen it and take it out and then put it in a new one ( the postmaster said that i couldn't mail loose change in a box ) so i put the dollar bills in and use any coin for gas money i guess. but if i don't have dollars to send back i write a check for the difference to each person...if you were ever wondering why you got a $1.xx something check from me that is why.I would prefer stamps if possible that way if there are extras i just put them back in the box when i'm done and it's so much easier...keep in mind too girls when you take 20 + boxes to the post office and you have to play the change game, the people behind you have a tendency to get very ticked off and impatient.when i send $5.00 instead of the required $4.60 or whatever it is i expect the hostess to keep the change, like i just sent to you jenna...i didn't have correct change but i did have a 5 $1.00 bills so the extra is yours to keep.  besides when you send change through the mail it makes the postage more expensive. it can mean the difference between an oz or 2. anywho keep mine
TheFiberLady
Chatty Cherry

Post by TheFiberLady »

my last 3 swaps though i sent extras in the box so that should have well more than make up for any change missing.
jmwtlw
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 21

Post by jmwtlw »

I had same delima my last swap.  I think everyone sent over.  I sent an email with postals and asked who's it was my intent was to return the postage.  They all gave permission to keep it.  I don't want to take money from anyone, but I was an idiot and sealed the boxes up before I mailed them.  Go figure...newbie hostess.I like my new swap buddies, we do TAC card swaps...much easier on postage.Tonya 
TheFiberLady
Chatty Cherry

Post by TheFiberLady »

are you a TAC demonstrator?i love TAC
Wendy.....love my puppies!!!!!
I made the President's list..wahooo!!!!
Midge
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 213

Post by Midge »

I've sent extra too and never recieved anything back. A book of stamps for one swap IN CASE it went over and nothing was returned. Oh well. I just won't swap with that person anymore.
Northern Brat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 253

Post by Northern Brat »

Because I am sending from Canada, I always stick more money in hopefully to cover.  I prefer my swaps sent in a bubble pak, cos then postage is around what people are asking for.. In those flat rate boxes...it's about $15, so I wait to have it filled..hopefully I have sent enough...and if I sent way over, I would hope that I get some of it back.  If it's close to the actual postage, I say keep it!
jmwtlw
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 21

Post by jmwtlw »

Wendy,Yeah, I just started in October with TAC.  Thier new caty comes out in January.Tonya 
MamaDNC
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 60

Post by MamaDNC »

If I send more money than what's been asked, I KNOW I'VE SENT IT, and I usually ask the hostess to use it on anyone else who may be short.  If she still has money left, I say...IT'S YOURS (hostess)...certainly, you've put much more time and effort into organizing everything than it's worth monetarily, and it's a small token of appreciation from me.  Diane
Diane Image

Image Image

Return to “Swap Talk”