Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

sdwhru

Cherry Jubilee

Questions on digi-scrapbooking
 I'm thinking about trying digital scrapbooking and I have looked at several articles on the 'net.  However, there are a few questions I have.  Do you have to have a specific software to scrapbook?  If so, what is the best?  What about Mac's?  I'm thinking about switching to a Mac computer.

She-She

Cherry Tart

Re: Questions on digi-scrapbooking
 Me too...looking forward to the responses!

DN in MN

Wild Cherry

I'm not digi but check out the below for some great articles:

http://www.acherryontop.com/blog/65
2024 Layout goal ~ 14/100      2024 Word ~ FOCUS

JeanellePaige

Digital Designers

I use Photoshop, but it is quite expensive. There are programs out there that are cheaper, and I heard about one that is free...GIMP. I have never used it though. Hope you get some better answers!
Jeanelle Paige
My Blog ~ Lots of cool stuff there!!
My Shoppe ~ Always Sales!

AnnOminous

Chocolate Covered Cherry

You are going to need some software.  The most popular softwares are Photoshop Elements (PSE) and Paint Shop Pro (PSP).  Both cost just under a hundred dollars.  There is also "full blown" Photoshop Creative Suite, which runs over $600.

But, just about any photo editing program will work.  And even any program with graphics capabilities.  I've seen layouts done using Microsoft Word!  I would think that they could also be done using MS Powerpoint, too.

And there is also the free program GIMP that has been mentioned.

Just start out with whatever you already have or what you can afford.  If you like digi scrapping, you will probably want to upgrade to PSE or PSP at some point and most products and tutorials are geared towards one of those products.

Mommybruno

Cherry Cola

Ooh, more people hovering on the edge of the dark side! Yes!! ;)

ACOT has some great digi tutorials here, and you should also check out Kim Hill's digi tutorials here.

Regarding software, I use Photoshop Elements (I have version 5), which I found very easy to learn. You can check out a free trial version here if you want to play around with it some. That's the only one I've ever used, so not sure about the others.

Tracy is your girl if you're thinking of going Mac...that's what she uses. And since she's our ACOT Helper Gal, I'm sure when she sees your post she'll give you some more tips.

Hope that helps! :)
Cassandra
"I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there." --Herb Caen
ImageImageImage

sdwhru

Cherry Jubilee

thanks for all your answers!!!!  I hope to keep getting more of them..... :-D

glenwillyn

Digital Designers

I havent used GIMP either, but I know a few ladies who do use it and really like it :)

The other option too is that with all the Adobe programs you can get student version (if you have a school student) or educational version (if you are a student) which can be a good option - as far as I can tell, they are essentially the same programs, and considerably cheaper...
.:~ Ro ~:.
Willro&co Designs
my shop

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Hi!  I'd be happy to lure you tell you about the dark side! :-D

If you're thinking about a mac, and you can afford one, GO FOR IT! I LOVE mine! Seriously. I will never buy a pc again.

I have a Macbook and it's about a year old now. I use it to scrap with and it's awesome! I don't know about Print Shop Pro (PSP), but Photoshop Elements (PSE) is available for mac (as is full blown Photoshop also known as CS3 or 4). All the screen shots you see in my tutorials show the PSE 6.0 version for macs.

Everyone has pointed you in the direction of some good resources for learning and given you the options of programs you can use. I started out with Digital Image Pro (a Microsoft product). I'd recommend it to you because it was super easy to learn how to use, but MS has discontinued the product line.

I'm a show me kind of me person, which is why my tut's have a lot of screen shots to show you where things are or how they will look. I suggest that if you really want to learn, download one of the trials and sit with a couple different tutorials and follow the steps and see how you like them. Kim Hill's tutorials also include screenshots-I see someone has already given you that link-so you can check those out as well.

I also recommend Jessica Sprague's Photoshop Friday blog. She has several tutorials geared specifically for scrapbooking. They include pictures with the instructions and she also has some podcasts you can watch too.

Finally, I'll pimp  my own tutorial Digi Templates 101:winkb: I geared this toward the brand new user. The first half of this tutorial explains the basic concepts of digital scrapbooking, the terminology we use and how to work the program. It goes along with a free download template available here in the shop. Tested on my 14 year old daughter, she was able to complete her very first digi lo without my assitance following the instructions in the tutorial. :D

If you have any more specific questions, just post them on the board, or you can always PM me. :)

Hope this helps!
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.

sdwhru

Cherry Jubilee

Thanks for all your help.....it is greatly appreciated!

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

ICanHasCherryOnTop wrote:If you're thinking about a mac, and you can afford one, GO FOR IT!

I second that! LOVE my Mac!

ImageImage Image Image  

davsar

Cherry Cola

If you are getting a MAC they usually come with a editing software (don't know which one). 

However, if you are just looking to try digi out go to this tutorial, "You can Dig-it for Free".  It shows you how to get into digi scrapbooking using a program called GIMP (it is free - and it is great!!).  I use GIMP, so if you have questions on it just pm me.

Hope that helps!
ImageImage

Scrappin13

Sweet Cherry Pie

I found digi scrapping very easy.  I have photoshop elements and I love it.  There are some other programs out there as well.  The one thing I really really like about digi scrapping is that you can change things around so easily until you have it just like you want it, add and delete things, move it around, whatever.  Once you try it you will love it.
Molly

Grandma Flowers

Cherry Cropper

I have everything I need to digi.  Why am I afraid to try it?
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

Scrappin13 wrote:The one thing I really really like about digi scrapping is that you can change things around so easily until you have it just like you want it, add and delete things, move it around, whatever.  Once you try it you will love it.
Yes... and also you never run out of an element or a letter in an alpha... you just use them over and over again... and you can resize them and recolor them to match your layout.

ImageImage Image Image  

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

davsar wrote: If you are getting a MAC they usually come with a editing software (don't know which one). 

However, if you are just looking to try digi out go to this tutorial, "You can Dig-it for Free".  It shows you how to get into digi scrapbooking using a program called GIMP (it is free - and it is great!!).  I use GIMP, so if you have questions on it just pm me.

Hope that helps!

They come with iPhoto. This is not for scrapbooking. Only basic editing/orgainzation of your photos.
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.

sdwhru

Cherry Jubilee

thanks for all the info.....I cannot stress enough how much I appreciate it!!!

Return to “Digital Talk”

Information

Moderators

MamaK321, ACOT Employee