Get up to 3 FREE GIFTS with purchase → See details
Plus, save 20% or more on all Fall and Halloween products!

Ayla

Cherry Addict

Question for those who use digital templates
Even if you only use digital templates occasionally, would you mind answering a question for me? I am in the process of teaching myself how to make digital templates for a project I have in mind. I work with PSD files mostly as I use PSE9, but I also know how to use TIFF format, and I know those files are smaller. My question is this....

What form of files do you prefer to use? When I buy templates I delete all the PNG files that come with them becasue I don't use them (although for another reason soon I will start saving them again lol), and usually delete the TIFF files just becasue since I use PSD more, I don't see the need in keeping both of them. I think it is a pain in the patoo-tey to save the template I am trying to make in all the individual PNG layers, but if that's what people use I am willing to do that. I just have a NEED TO KNOW! lol

Thanks in advance!
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

1grandma

Cherry Addict

Re: Question for those who use digital templates
I am impressed that you are working with files and know their names! I do not know anything about files. It just does not want to stick in my head.
Bibi

letumom

Cherry Jubilee

When I get a template, I don't delete anything, but use only the PSD. I'm on PSE 7.
Laurie

writerlady

Bowl Full of Cherries

I've been digi scrapping for a while, and it doesn't matter to me. Either way is fine.
Please stop by my blog,Writerlady's Craftroom

PezKat

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I use GIMP - I know I can use PNG's but not sure about the others.
Image Image

need2scrap

Cherry Bing

I don't delete anything either, but only use the psd's in PSE9.
*** Christi ***
Love to scrap - Need to scrap - Not enough time to scrap!!!

Ayla

Cherry Addict

PezKat wrote:I use GIMP - I know I can use PNG's but not sure about the others.
If you get a template, how do you use it? I'm not familiar with GIMP at all.
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

PezKat

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Uh-oh, a technical question, lol! I haven't done anything digi for about 8 months so I don't really remember, lol! But I know I have lots of layers... maybe I can play around with it sometime this weekend. ;) I can't remember who else here uses it - SaraWhithers I think? (Jen, however you spell her screenname!)
Image Image

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

I use Microsoft PhotoDraw, an old software, but I love it! Anyway, it will convert PSD files, unless they are too large. In that case, I use the PNG files. The worst part about those is you have to bring them in one layer at a time, instead of opening it all at once. Don't know if this helps, or not. Also, PNG's can be used in less complex softwares, like MS Word, for example, so they might be helpful for those just venturing into digi.
Laura
 Image    Image         

Wheeliegirl

Cherry Jubilee

I use TIFF and PSD files. I usually delete the PNG files.
ImageImageImageImage
-Donna-

Ayla

Cherry Addict

Art_Teacher wrote:I use Microsoft PhotoDraw, an old software, but I love it! Anyway, it will convert PSD files, unless they are too large. In that case, I use the PNG files. The worst part about those is you have to bring them in one layer at a time, instead of opening it all at once. Don't know if this helps, or not. Also, PNG's can be used in less complex softwares, like MS Word, for example, so they might be helpful for those just venturing into digi.
OK...that's what I needed to know...thanks! Will make PNG files as well.
 Image Image

MimaScraps/Lori

Cherry Bomb

I use the psd with pse 10--you, go girl!
Lori aka "Mima"
Cherish Every Moment; Then Scrap Each One!
and
Sweet Spot Designs!!

FairyMouseMom

Cherry Addict

Ayla wrote:
Art_Teacher wrote:I use Microsoft PhotoDraw, an old software, but I love it! Anyway, it will convert PSD files, unless they are too large. In that case, I use the PNG files. The worst part about those is you have to bring them in one layer at a time, instead of opening it all at once. Don't know if this helps, or not. Also, PNG's can be used in less complex softwares, like MS Word, for example, so they might be helpful for those just venturing into digi.

(I don't delete files as well....)
I will give you another "heads up" as well. I know the program Laura uses does not let her use a full sheet of alphabets to cut out what she needs. Some designers only provide their alphabet sets that way. I know it might feel like a "pain" but I have always made my alphabet available as separate PNG files as well.

Good luck on your endeavors!
Egle ~ Let the things you love be your escape. ~
I am addicted to alphabets!....and papers.....and....

Image Image Image

Gypsymonkey

Bowl Full of Cherries

FairyMouseMom wrote:
Ayla wrote:

(I don't delete files as well....)
I will give you another "heads up" as well. I know the program Laura uses does not let her use a full sheet of alphabets to cut out what she needs. Some designers only provide their alphabet sets that way. I know it might feel like a "pain" but I have always made my alphabet available as separate PNG files as well.

Good luck on your endeavors!

Egle, I am so thankful that you take the time to make the separate PNG files. The program that I use isn't compatible with the full alpha sheets and if I try to crop the letters out, it looks all funky. :-D
"May you always have memories to scrap!" ~ Diana

PezKat

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Ok Nancy I finally played around a bit... I don't know if there's much difference between templates and quick pages, but I opened several of each and all I get is one layer. I had one template that came in separate layered files but haven't used either enough to know which is easier! So just go w/whatever works best for the majority...
Image Image

Lindsay

Chocolate Covered Cherry

It seems like I'm always having to clean off my EHD, so I try to maximize the space I have. I used to use the PSD files, but have started to use TIFF a few months back. One of the things I like about it is I can see the layout without having to open it up all the way. So, when I get my template packs, I go through and delete the PSD and any other format other than TIFF. Then I move the template into my individual folders (i.e., 1 Photo, Non-Photo Layouts, 11+ Photos, etc).

MimaScraps/Lori

Cherry Bomb

Lindsay wrote:It seems like I'm always having to clean off my EHD, so I try to maximize the space I have. I used to use the PSD files, but have started to use TIFF a few months back. One of the things I like about it is I can see the layout without having to open it up all the way. So, when I get my template packs, I go through and delete the PSD and any other format other than TIFF. Then I move the template into my individual folders (i.e., 1 Photo, Non-Photo Layouts, 11+ Photos, etc).
Yep! I had to delete files (kits) tonight in order to upload and save on EHD--I saw $$$$$$$$$$$$ going in the Recycle Bin! TFS how you decrease file sizes--never thought of that!
Lori aka "Mima"
Cherish Every Moment; Then Scrap Each One!
and
Sweet Spot Designs!!

lizziej

Bowl Full of Cherries

So far, I've only used the PSDs. I usually throw away the PNGs, because I have yet to find a use for them, but it would be nice to know how you intend to use those PNGs, since you mentioned it. :) I've thought about going to TIFFs - is it virtually the same as using PSDs? I've heard they take up less room than PSDs.
Liz - HOOK 'EM HORNS!!
The only good addict is an alpha addict!

need2scrap

Cherry Bing

MimaScraps wrote:
Lindsay wrote:It seems like I'm always having to clean off my EHD, so I try to maximize the space I have. I used to use the PSD files, but have started to use TIFF a few months back. One of the things I like about it is I can see the layout without having to open it up all the way. So, when I get my template packs, I go through and delete the PSD and any other format other than TIFF. Then I move the template into my individual folders (i.e., 1 Photo, Non-Photo Layouts, 11+ Photos, etc).
Yep! I had to delete files (kits) tonight in order to upload and save on EHD--I saw $$$$$$$$$$$$ going in the Recycle Bin! TFS how you decrease file sizes--never thought of that!
I would just buy another EHD!!!! LOL Glad to know I can get rid of some of that stuff.
*** Christi ***
Love to scrap - Need to scrap - Not enough time to scrap!!!

AmyTeets

Digital Designers

Personally, I would rather have just the PSD or TIFF. There's no reason to have both. Also, you can make PNG files out of the layered file if you want ;)
Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!

Return to “Digital Talk”

Information

Moderators

MamaK321, ACOT Employee