Want a FREE book printed?

Moderators: MamaK321, ACOT Employee

Kim2002
Digital Designers
Gallery: 192

Want a FREE book printed?

Post by Kim2002 »

Woohoo - today I received my first Inkubook in the mail and it turned out really nice.  Since I scrap square, I decided to use the 8.5 inch softcover format.  I put all my layouts from the last 2 years in the book (about 50ish layouts).  The color saturation and clarity is really nice.  The binding is glued.  The pages are 100 lb. archival-quality silk paper and the soft cover is a bit thicker than that.  I like how the smallest of details is quite visible in the layouts, including the fine texture on the digital background papers.  Take a look (and then scroll down to find out how you can get FREE book):

Pricing on the books start as low as $13.95 but for a limited time, Inkubook is offering a free book to new users.  All you pay is the shipping.  To get your own free book, complete the following:

1.  Sign up with Inkubook and begin creating your digital scrapbook
2.  When your book is done, go to checkout and enter promotion code EJR372 to get the book for free.  You only pay the shipping charges (as low as $6.99).
3.  You can also invite friends to join Inkubook and the company will email them a promotion code to use for their own free book!!  :)

The code above is good for one book of any size.  The books are limited to 120 pages and the coupon will expire on October 31st.  Inkubook currently has three different options:

1.  8.5 inches by 8.5 inches softcover only
2.  11 inches by 8.5 inches landscape hardcover
3.  8.5 inches by 11 inches portrait hardcover

A FEW TIPS:

1.  There doesn't appear to be any downloadable templates on the site.  So be sure to allow 1/2 inch on all sides so that nothing important gets cut off or lost in the middle where it is bound.

2.  You have a little more play room with the front cover on the binding side.  So once you make your cover, nudge it to the left so that it is 1/4 inch away from the bound edge.  This will keep your cover from getting cut off on the right side.

3.  When using the uploading software, you first need to download Silverlight 2.0 and run the .exe file.

4.  The user interface is not very intuitive and can be a bit confusing at first.  To use the full bleed pages, you need to choose the LAYOUTS button, then click on the MORE button and select the image that has a full square with a mountain in the middle.  Don't fret over the gray text box in the lower left corner.  For full bleeds layouts, it won't show up unless you type text in there.  :)

5.  There is a smaller set of layouts for the front and back covers.  If you want to use the full bleed option, select the one that is a full square with a mountain in the middle.

Have fun making a book and don't hesitate to use their Live Help button.  I found the customer service representatives to be super to work with!!  :)
Kim Hill, Owner & Designer, CG Essentials
Owner, Resources 4 Photographers **photographer tools sold exclusively through A Cherry on Top**
Find me on Facebook

MOM2SNOX
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 139

Re: Want a FREE book printed?

Post by MOM2SNOX »

Dude!! That's totally cool! And you can say... "I've been published Baby!!" :)
sarahwhithers
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 2269

Post by sarahwhithers »

OOh! this is too neat! How is it comparred to the Shutterfly books?
corriekate
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 71

Post by corriekate »

Awesome Kim!  Thanks for the heads up!
Kim2002
Digital Designers

Post by Kim2002 »

Well, the shutterfly book that I have is hardcover and glued.  This one is softcover and glued. The inside pages of the Inkubook are MUCH NICER quality than shutterfly.  The price is great, too!!
Owner, Resources 4 Photographers **photographer tools sold exclusively through A Cherry on Top**
Find me on Facebook

lizziej
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 81

Post by lizziej »

WOW!  Thanks for the info!  I'm going to have to work hard to get my act together by the 31st. 
Liz - HOOK 'EM HORNS!!
The only good addict is an alpha addict!
-Tracy-
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 439

Post by -Tracy- »

sarahwhithers wrote: OOh! this is too neat! How is it comparred to the Shutterfly books?
I was *really* disappointed in my Shutterfly book. The layouts were not crisp and clear. :(

I'll give this a go though, thanks for the tip Kim! :)
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
MLee
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 404

Post by MLee »

With these books, are you creating your pages on there or are you uploading the digi pages that you've already created as "pictures" and using those?

I'm very interested in making a recipe album for my DD for Christmas and this might be the best way to go.  THANKS!!

Mommybruno
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 1318

Post by Mommybruno »

Ooh, definitely checking this out!
Cassandra
"I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there." --Herb Caen
ImageImageImage
MamaK321
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1010

Post by MamaK321 »

that looks fantastic Kim!! thanks for the review. 

I also just got my first book in the mail, a 10x10 soft cover, but I ordered from MyPicTales. I need to go take some photos to share.
Image Image
-Tracy-
Wild Cherry

Post by -Tracy- »

TIP:  If you've never printed your layouts before--here's something I learned when I made my calendar last year and also my Shutterfly book.

Your shadow height and opacity should be less than you need to look at them online. I noticed that for printing, my shadows could have been much smaller and lighter. What looked fine on the computer was super dark when it was printed.

Ok, that's my PSA for the day. :-D
Kim2002
Digital Designers

Post by Kim2002 »

You have the option to upload just photos and add text, or you can do what I did and upload your completed layouts as a full bleed image.  :)  So you could create a book for a variety of things.....not just scrapbook layouts. 
Find me on Facebook

steph_1999
Cherry Blossom

Post by steph_1999 »

Thanks for sharing! That's such a neat book! I'd like to have one of those books printed!!
-Tracy-
Wild Cherry

Post by -Tracy- »

If anyone's looking for me in the next day or so---I'll be making one of these books! woot! woot! :-D Already signed up and got my mom to join too!
Kim2002
Digital Designers

Post by Kim2002 »

LOL - Have fun, Tracy!!  Don't get too frustrated with the uploading software.....the LIVE HELP button is your friend.  :)
Find me on Facebook

carolynlontin
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 40

Post by carolynlontin »

HOW COOL!
SarahA
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 358

Post by SarahA »

That is so awesome! I wish I had more layouts to print- I've done about 6 or 7 digi ones. Maybe if I hurry and do a few more, it will be worth printing the book! Thanks for sharing! :)
naney1952
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 8

Post by naney1952 »

Can you just upload pictures to make up your book?
Jane ImageImage Image
LOYAL COLTS FAN
-Tracy-
Wild Cherry

Post by -Tracy- »

naney1952 wrote: Can you just upload pictures to make up your book?

Yup! It has pre-made pages or you can choose to start from scratch with blank pages. I saw lots of different options and themes.
luboost
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 33

Post by luboost »

Wow!  That's really nice!  Thanks for posting!

erica :)

Return to “Digital Talk”