Get up to 3 FREE GIFTS with purchase → See details
Plus, save 20% or more on all Fall and Halloween products!

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

Sizzix Platforms
Which larger one do you have and why do you like it?  Thanks to ACOT sending me a wonderful die for making mini album covers, I need to find a bigger Sizzix!  lol
Laura
 Image    Image         

stinkerbelle

Cherry Bomb

Re: Sizzix Platforms
i just have a regular big shot.  i got it for $2.50 at a rummage sale sometime after my youngest was born in 2007.  (yes, you're reading that correctly lol. two dollars and fifty cents)  i've never needed an extended platform or larger cutting surface so i'm no help there.
1 user liked this post:
*Stacy*  

Image  Image Image  Image Image

VickiR

Cherry Jubilee

I have the Big Shot and Big Shot Plus.  I also have the Spellbinders Platinum which is my preferred choice for anything wider than the Big Shot 6" width.  My mom bought me the Big Shot Plus and it lasted for about a month.  Sizzix replaced it and the second one had the same issue. The torque of the wider cut just kept slipping. So, it's sitting on the bottom of my cart with brand new plates gathering dust for the past 4+ years.  Not sure why I haven't thrown it out yet.

ImageImage

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

VickiR wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 10:35 pm
I have the Big Shot and Big Shot Plus.  I also have the Spellbinders Platinum which is my preferred choice for anything wider than the Big Shot 6" width.  My mom bought me the Big Shot Plus and it lasted for about a month.  Sizzix replaced it and the second one had the same issue. The torque of the wider cut just kept slipping. So, it's sitting on the bottom of my cart with brand new plates gathering dust for the past 4+ years.  Not sure why I haven't thrown it out yet.

So, do all the Sizzix XL dies work on it?  Plus, can you use the regular dies from the original Sizzix, because I have tons of those!

Laura
 Image    Image         

VickiR

Cherry Jubilee

Art_Teacher wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 9:47 am
VickiR wrote:

So, do all the Sizzix XL dies work on it?  Plus, can you use the regular dies from the original Sizzix, because I have tons of those!
The Spellbinders Platinum is 8" wide and works with all of my die cuts including the Sizzix XLs.  Are you talking about this?  If so, it should work. 

Sizzix Notebook Die

ImageImage

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

VickiR wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 9:53 am
Art_Teacher wrote:
VickiR wrote:

The Spellbinders Platinum is 8" wide and works with all of my die cuts including the Sizzix XLs.  Are you talking about this?  If so, it should work. 

Sizzix Notebook Die 

No, I couldn't find it here in the shop....it is an XL die for making the outside of a mini album, though. It is over a foot long, so I guess I probably need some extended cutting plates?  I don't know and for some reason, Sizzix makes it hard to figure out what you need!  Grrr....I was looking on their site, since ACOT doesn't sell the machines, and found it, but it doesn't even tell me which platform I need.  Sigh...
Laura
 Image    Image         

VickiR

Cherry Jubilee

Art_Teacher wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 9:55 am
VickiR wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 9:53 am
Art_Teacher wrote:

Sizzix Notebook Die 

No, I couldn't find it here in the shop....it is an XL die for making the outside of a mini album, though. It is over a foot long, so I guess I probably need some extended cutting plates?  I don't know and for some reason, Sizzix makes it hard to figure out what you need!  Grrr....I was looking on their site, since ACOT doesn't sell the machines, and found it, but it doesn't even tell me which platform I need.  Sigh... 
If the actual die is not wider than 6", you should be able to use it with the regular Sizzix but would need the XL cutting plates.  If it's wider than 6", then you would need a machine that cuts wider with the XL cutting plates.  Let me see if I can find a photo and look at it.

1 user liked this post:
    ImageImage

Kelly R.

Cherry Picker

I have the Anna Griffin electric Empress machine.   The XL plate system is 13.5 x 8.5.  I don't have any large Sizzix dies, but I do have some Tonic Studio dies including an album making die that works well with it.  

I have the Spellbinders large Platium die cut also.  I hated the acrylic plates.  They warped just after a few uses.  I was able to use my old Spellbinders Grand Calibur plate system in it, but it was a hassle to crank everything I wanted to cut.   Now that  I've  gone electric, I will never use a platform hand crank again.  The AG plates are thicker than the Spellbinders, so they  don't  warp.  

:) Kelly 

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

Kelly_R wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 10:04 am
I have the Anna Griffin electric Empress machine.   The XL plate system is 13.5 x 8.5.  I don't have any large Sizzix dies, but I do have some Tonic Studio dies including an album making die that works well with it.  

I have the Spellbinders large Platium die cut also.  I hated the acrylic plates.  They warped just after a few uses.  I was able to use my old Spellbinders Grand Calibur plate system in it, but it was a hassle to crank everything I wanted to cut.   Now that  I've  gone electric, I will never use a platform hand crank again.  The AG plates are thicker than the Spellbinders, so they  don't  warp.  

I was looking at the new Sizzix Switch, but I also kind of wanted to get a Cricut, so now I am in a quandary!  lol  The die sent for my WCMD prize was a $60 die!  I hate to never use it, plus it will cut/score chipboard....kind of awesome!

Laura
 Image    Image         

VickiR

Cherry Jubilee

I have these two dies and they work with the regular Sizzix Big Shot and the XL plates.  You could try using the smaller plates but it would take time and be more stressful than it's worth.

1 user liked this post:
    ImageImage

Kelly R.

Cherry Picker

Art_Teacher wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 10:11 am
Kelly_R wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 10:04 am

I was looking at the new Sizzix Switch, but I also kind of wanted to get a Cricut, so now I am in a quandary!  lol  The die sent for my WCMD prize was a $60 die!  I hate to never use it, plus it will cut/score chipboard....kind of awesome!

I've  never had a Cricut.  All my dies work well in my Empress.  If you are not able to use  the die, I will be happy to take it off your hands.   :biggrin:

:) Kelly 

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee