Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

CarrieG

Cherry Jubilee

big ol purge-ola
how often do you purge your goodies???  I do lil general ones every couple of months...pretty much just surface ones like leftovers I know I wont use etc....and pass them along to another scrapper....
the last HUGE purge I did was a 1.5 years ago when I decided to start scrapping again...........I got rid of GOBS AND GOBS...........
but today I got a wild hair...knowing I was going to have to do a biggie before the move in 6.5 months........I surprised myself and was able to get rid of things that I didn't figure I would.....but I just don't see a reason to move papers etc that I know I wont use but didn't want to get rid of...etc.......im actually glad I did it.......I had paper and things like rub on's  from companies that dont. even exist anymore..LOL :)  it will make the next purge in 6 months when I pack stuff up sooooooooooo much easier  :)

ratgirl

Sweet Cherry Pie

Re: big ol purge-ola
I'm working on a big purge of things I no longer need, and it's hard. I feel guilty for getting rid of supplies I bought, but I also don't use my beautiful scrap room because it's too chaotic with this stuff. So...I'm trying to think of it as a Xmas gift to myself this year...giving my scraproom back to myself. I'm selling some things and giving away a lot to my friend who takes stuff like that to Ronald McDonald House. So...hopefully that will help me get over the hurdle. Wish me luck! 

I could really use some sort of scrapping support group for this kind of thing.

CarrieG

Cherry Jubilee

good luck and I got your back..lol

its hard but I was having the same problem....I was overwhelmed and not finding things I knew I had or wanted etc........I just did the same thing with clothes...if I hadn't worn it in over a year...it went bye bye...............

average_kim

Cherry Cropper

It does feel good to get rid of stuff you know you won't use, especially if it's going to a good cause or another scrapper who will use it. I purged about 3 years ago when I finally got *mostly* organized and got all my stuff in one general area. There's still lots I need to get rid of, but haven't let go yet ....
Kim

Image Image  

mgehrke

Bowl Full of Cherries

I'm a scrappy supply hoarder and have never purged anything Image
Mildred - Mom to 2 girls and a husband (I tell people that I am a single mom of 3. Ages 59, 37 and 31) lol. And a proud Grandma to Orahn (7) Sawyer (5) and Mazie (3).

ImageImageImageImageImage

christinec68

Cherry Bomb

CarrieG wrote:how often do you purge your goodies???  I do lil general ones every couple of months...pretty much just surface ones like leftovers I know I wont use etc....and pass them along to another scrapper....
the last HUGE purge I did was a 1.5 years ago when I decided to start scrapping again...........I got rid of GOBS AND GOBS...........
but today I got a wild hair...knowing I was going to have to do a biggie before the move in 6.5 months........I surprised myself and was able to get rid of things that I didn't figure I would.....but I just don't see a reason to move papers etc that I know I wont use but didn't want to get rid of...etc.......im actually glad I did it.......I had paper and things like rub on's  from companies that dont. even exist anymore..LOL :)  it will make the next purge in 6 months when I pack stuff up sooooooooooo much easier  :)

I did a big purge like this two years ago and again during the summer.  I had so much stuff it was a burden.  At that point, based on online estimates based on volume, I had enough supplies to last me 20 years or something equally ridiculous.  There was no way I was never going to shop again but at the same time...20 years of supplies on hand was absurd to me.  

The first purge got rid of a ton of papers and embellishments I knew I wouldn't use.  The second one was mostly things I never got to because I had so much before the first purge.  Since the first purge, my creativity & productivity went through the roof because I was no longer paralyzed by all the choices and I am also acutely aware of what I will use and what I won't so I don't over buy anymore.  I still have two bags of things I need to either sell or give away but it's separate from my working stash. 

It's so liberating, isn't it? :) 

blbabe1234

Cherry Bark

I do one every 6-9 months. I am in the process of working on a big purge right now with closing just around the corner.
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   Image Image

CarrieG

Cherry Jubilee

christinec68 wrote:
CarrieG wrote:how often do you purge your goodies???  I do lil general ones every couple of months...pretty much just surface ones like leftovers I know I wont use etc....and pass them along to another scrapper....

I did a big purge like this two years ago and again during the summer.  I had so much stuff it was a burden.  At that point, based on online estimates based on volume, I had enough supplies to last me 20 years or something equally ridiculous.  There was no way I was never going to shop again but at the same time...20 years of supplies on hand was absurd to me.  

The first purge got rid of a ton of papers and embellishments I knew I wouldn't use.  The second one was mostly things I never got to because I had so much before the first purge.  Since the first purge, my creativity & productivity went through the roof because I was no longer paralyzed by all the choices and I am also acutely aware of what I will use and what I won't so I don't over buy anymore.  I still have two bags of things I need to either sell or give away but it's separate from my working stash. 

It's so liberating, isn't it? :) 

yessss it is!  same thing happened to me after the last huge purge....I was a scrapping fool and was basically caught up............and altho being busy lately...I really haven't had much mojo either....so I am hoping starting out the new year with a nice clean, tidy and less overwhelming scrappy space will help  :)  I still have enough to scrap for a couple of years without buying anything im surrrrre but owell...hehehehehe

CarrieG

Cherry Jubilee

blbabe1234 wrote:I do one every 6-9 months. I am in the process of working on a big purge right now with closing just around the corner.

moving can be a big motivator...LOL I realized that I had asked DH to go thru all his stuff before his move...a painful thing.......so I must do the same...seeing as space will be at a premium in the moving pod...

Sara Scraps

Cherry Bing

Must be the cold weather and being indoors more....I just had a huge Cricut fire sale..lol. 3 machines and about 40 cartridges sold! It inspired me to continue to sort and purge...it may take me a week or two but I am on my way to a slimmed down scrapbook space...

scrapy1967

Cherry Jubilee

Not very often. I feel like if I bought it I should use it. These days I think long and hard before I buy anything. I buy mostly stamps and dies these days. I feel I get my money out of those items and I have enough paper and embellies to last me a lifetime.
ImageImage 

emarie803

Cherry Jubilee

I did a major purge right before we moved. I think that I am going to re-evaluate my supplies every 6 months to a year, depending on how much I buy in that time lol. THat way, it doesn't get so out of control again and I can remember what supplies I have! Also, I can see if there are some staples (glimmer mist, paint, etc) that I am going to need to replace-before I run out!

Deanna13

A Cherry on Top

Good for you! It is really hard getting rid of things we once loved enough to buy. I did a bit of purging a week or two ago before I placed an order for the Black Friday sale. ImageImage
Image Image ImageImage

Scrap Bug

Cherry Bomb

Not often.  I tend to buy things I like, so I don't see a need to purge.  Mostly the purges are from things given to me that I know I won't use, and paper scraps , that sort of thing.  
Melissa

karensay

Chocolate Covered Cherry

mgehrkeI'm a scrappy supply hoarder and have never purged anything Image
Glad to hear that I am not alone. I still have my paint swatches, am using some slide mounts and fibers on a current layout, have my twist ties, page pebbles and all kinds of metals, seed beads, wire words.....and the list goes on.
Karen in SC
2-page, multi-photo scrapper

killarney_rose

Chocolate Covered Cherry

scrapy1967 wrote:Not very often. I feel like if I bought it I should use it. These days I think long and hard before I buy anything. I buy mostly stamps and dies these days. I feel I get my money out of those items and I have enough paper and embellies to last me a lifetime.
I couldn't have said it better although I have a purge box I have been adding some items other then purging CM products from long ago.

Brandy and Carrie, I can not even imagine the move!   Yet I probably have the most moved product of anyone on the board since I own two homes 3 1/2 hours apart.  And that is quite a bit this trip as I am at the ranch for the next two weeks.  Then back to Houston home for a week, then probably at ranch until right after HLSR!

butterfly843

A Cherry on Top

I usually only purge supplies when we move, a lot of my older supplies I may not use in my scrapbooks I try to use on altered items or decorations I make for parties.

blfonty

Cherry Cola

Moving is a great motivator to purge all kinds of extras. Good luck ladies!
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie

croppinmama

Cherry Cola

I go on a scrap retreat once a year. I purge then because they have a donation table for local children's charity and a women's shelter. It feels good to let go of a lot of stuff and help people at the same time.

DN in MN

Wild Cherry

I purge at least twice a year.  It helps me go through everything and know what I have before a retreat and to know what I need (lol, want) to buy :)

My friends go through the stuff first and then the rest goes to the freebie table at my retreat or to a charity.   I love the feeling of knowing exactly what I have and it organized!
2024 Layout goal ~ 14/100      2024 Word ~ FOCUS

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee