*** CUTTLEBUG ***

Moderator: ACOT Employee

sherry
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 1

*** CUTTLEBUG ***

Post by sherry »

I have never had a die cutting machine before.  I do have a Cricut, but not the same thing to me.  I really am wanting to be able to emboss my paper, that is the ONLY thing I am interested in getting one for.  I love Anna Griffin designs, so I am considering the Cuttlebug.  BUT, I am quite confused as to how they actually work.  And, there are many embossing dies in her collection, but what size is the final embossed image?  I read somewhere 4x6, which honestly, for some of my cards, that would not be nearly big enough.  If you have a Cuttlebug, could you please review it for me, do you love it, hate it, like it, never use it?  Any quick tutorials on how it works (just very basic).  And, the size of the images is important to me.  Many Thanks.
letumom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 846

Re: *** CUTTLEBUG ***

Post by letumom »

I bought a CB before I ever bought my first Cricut.  (I've had both the baby Cricut and now have the original Expression).

I only use the CB for embossing.  You can do up to 5 x 7, but the number of embossing folders in that size are limited.  I have used folders from CB, Tim Holtz, and Spellbinders.

With each of the companies, they will give you suggestions as to the "layers" you will need to get good imprints/embosses with their products.  Once you have the layers in place, you place the sandwich of the layers, with your paper on the platform, then crank the layers through the press of the CB.  There are a ton of videos on YouTube to show you how it works.

I love my CB.
Laurie

cort
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 92

Post by cort »

I have both a sizzix big kick and a texture boutique.  I bought the boutique first because i wanted to dry emboss..then when i wanted tim holtz dies and the longer strip dies and embossing folders i upgraded to the big kick.  I still use them both, i grab the boutique if i am just going to run something thru quick..if i'm doing multiples or die cutting then the big kick.  Most of the machines available are similar..with the exception of the boutique..it's small and is only for embossing, not die cutting.

As Letumom stated each company has different recommendations for layering with their machines.  there are tons of tutorials on you tube.

Oh and i also used a coupon to purchase my machines...paid maybe 20 for the boutique with a 50% off coupon and 50 for the big kick with a coupon
ImageImage
TheNonna
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 36

Post by TheNonna »

I've had my Cuttlebug for many many moons and love it.  Yes, most embossing folders are 4x6 but I have a 5x7(?) as well.  It's great for using their dies but mostly I use Spellbinders Nestabilities and just throw it on my desk and get it done in a moment.  Then I have about 15+ embossing folders whigch I put on those specific size papers and just glue or pop-dot on my card and go from there.  
Recently I bought the WRMK Evolution.  I really like it better - It's platform is the same width (about 5" I think) but the length is 12+ inches.  It has a dial that allows you to vary the thickness (you just always use the same plates and vary the level of thickness).  It also has letterpress capabilities and supplies.  So it cuts, embosses, and letterpress for cards, etc.  It's really cool and actually sits folded at the same size as my Cuttlebug so it doesn't take up any more room.  KWIM?  So for making cards - it's the BOMB plus I got a coupon to have a custom-made letterpress plate.

"I find it is the small things - everyday deeds by ordinary folk - that keeps the darkness at bay." (Gandalf)
[url=http://www:lifeinterruptedthenscrapped.blogspot.com]www.lifeinterruptedthenscrapped.blogspot.com[/url]
Scrap Bug
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 240

Post by Scrap Bug »

I've had the CB for over 3 years and really like it. I mainly use it for embossing. It takes the standard folders, I've never come across a folder that didn't work. The standard sizes are 4x6 but there are some in the 5x7. For longer dies you just get longer plates. I don't cover my whole card with the embossed image, 

I really do want to get the new wrmk machine, just because of all the new gadgets and gizmos it does, not because I don't like my CB. It sounds like you just need a basic machine like the CB.
Melissa
croppinmama
Cherry Cola
Gallery: -2

Post by croppinmama »

I love my Cuttlebug and I just looked at my embossing folders and after I trim the edges it is 4x6. I think there are bigger embossing folders but I'm not sure. I don't make cards that much and if I do they are small so I don't mind.

I know a few people who have other machines, but I found the Cuttlebug was more in my budget.

Good luck.
scrappininAK
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1886

Post by scrappininAK »

I've had my cuttlebug for many years and love it - don't own any other embossing or cutting m/c.  I used 4x6 embossing folders and dies from Spellbinders, sizzix and Tim Holtz for cutting.  Sometimes I wish it were a little larger but I can usually get by.
Heather

My Blog Unleashed
My Etsy Store CutMania
CutMania Newsletter Sign Up
mgehrke
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 2212

Post by mgehrke »

I just bought my CB back in April, so I am still learning. I really like the die cuts, but I do have embossing folders as well. Mostly I have noticed only 4x6, but I do have on that is a tad bigger so I am assuming it must be a 5x7. I love my CB so far.
Mildred - Mom to 2 girls and a husband (I tell people that I am a single mom of 3. Ages 59, 37 and 31) lol. And a proud Grandma to Orahn (7) Sawyer (5) and Mazie (3).

ImageImageImageImageImage
pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1052

Post by pawprints »

I love my Cuttlebug! I have embossing folders from all different companies. Most of them are 4 x 6 but I do have some that are 5 x 7. I also have long border embossing folders and also some minis. For the long ones you just have to get the longer plates. It's an awesome little machine!

Image Image Image

TheNonna
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 36

Post by TheNonna »

the only issue I've ever had with my Bug is that some of the other brand dies don't cut well - I have a Sizzix and a Memory Box die that i have to shimmy - but all the spellbinders are great and any brand embossing folders.  
"I find it is the small things - everyday deeds by ordinary folk - that keeps the darkness at bay." (Gandalf)
[url=http://www:lifeinterruptedthenscrapped.blogspot.com]www.lifeinterruptedthenscrapped.blogspot.com[/url]
average_kim
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 846

Post by average_kim »

I have a Sizzix Texture Boutique also.  And it is just for embossing.  It only embosses about a 4 1/4 x 6" piece, but there are lots of folders that size (also called A2 size).  I love mine, and if you only want to emboss, it's really affordable.  I got mine with a 40 percent off coupon at Hobby Lobby, but you can find it other places or on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sizzix-Texture-Bo ... e+boutique

Kim

Image Image  
Kitt46
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 1

Post by Kitt46 »

I have the "golden bug", Anna Griffin Cuttlebug. I also have a Big Kick (same as the Big Shot).  I used to have a green old old Cuttlebug, and found that when I used Sizzix Bigz in the Cuttlebug, it seemed to make it more difficult to use wafer dies. So I use the Golden Bug for all wafer dies and embossing folders.  The Big Kick is a work horse. It works wonderfully with every thing else.  One other thing is that the Cuttlebug takes up less storage space.

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”