Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

Kitkat137

Sweet Cherry Pie

A Dumb Question...
So, I'm interested in trying to make a card; but, I have no idea how. Do you buy special paper? fold cardstock in half? I feel dumb; but, I don't have the slightest idea where to start. Any guidance would be most appreciated.
Kat >^..^<

Image Image Image

SarahA

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: A Dumb Question...
Yes- just fold some cardstock in half! You can also buy pre-folded plain cards. I do a little of both!

Kitkat137

Sweet Cherry Pie

Do you buy special envelopes to mail them in?
Kat >^..^<

Image Image Image

megamay

Cherry Cola

I know how you feel, I felt that way when I first started.

what I do is either buy a pack of envelopes in a standard size like I think the ones I have now are invitation envelopes and they are like 4 3/4 x 6 3/4

then I cut and fold cardstock to make a card that will fit in that envelope.

OR

I buy a box of premade cards and envelopes - like in all white - and just embellish them.

handerful

Cherry Cropper

Just like scrapbooking - there is absolutley no wrong way. You do what ever you want!

A friend of mine likes to make "tag" type cards - just like a mini scrap page and doesn't bother with the card part - she just writes the sentiment on the back.

I would suggest buying your envelopes first, so you know what size to make your card. You can get them at almost any crafty store.
Image Image
RACHEL

SarahA

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Kitkat137 wrote:Do you buy special envelopes to mail them in?
If you buy the pre-folded ones, sometimes they come with envelopes. If not, like the American Crafts ones, they sell the envelopes separately right next to the cards.
These are here in the shop and they come with envelopes:

Kitkat137

Sweet Cherry Pie

Thanks. I'm definitely going to try it out :)
Kat >^..^<

Image Image Image

Sandi0805

Bowl Full of Cherries

I usually take a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 and cut in half and then fold. This will make a card to fit the invitation size envelopes. I think that this is the most common size. I usually have some heavy card stock in white and a cream color and then cut my pp's etc. and attached to the front. Any color of cs would do when matching a pp.
 Image ImageImage

FairyMouseMom

Cherry Addict

I, personally, like to use a heavier weight cardstock, if possible as my base layer. On top of that I will still use cardstock or patterned papers depending on the theme.

The size to which I cut them would depend on the envelopes I buy...either "invitation" size...greeting card size.....and I have even bought some plain regular business size ones!
Egle ~ Let the things you love be your escape. ~
I am addicted to alphabets!....and papers.....and....

Image Image Image

scrapsakes

Chocolate Covered Cherry

you could also re-purpose old cards and use paper scraps to alter them :)
"a heart in love with beauty never grows old" Image (turkish proverb)

deerewife

Cherry Jubilee

most of the time I use the cheap white cardstock that you can buy by the ream. Then embellish the front with cardstock/pattern paper. Saves my 'good' cardstock for other stuff and then lets me use scraps better.
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)

Karenscraps

Cherry Berry

I have made cards out of using cardstock and pre-made blank cards and card kits. Most of my pre-made blank cards are purchased on clearance and come with envelopes. Making cards will help you use up some of your scraps but is fun and the person who you give it too will enjoy it because not only did you put in that special effort to make them something.
Karen Y.

I haven't been an active paper crafter for a while and want to get back in the swing of things!

letumom

Cherry Jubilee

Yep! What everyone said, that's what I do!
Laurie

sherry

Cherry Bing

I bought some plain old "invitation size" envelopes at Walmart. Then I measured what would fit in them and cut cardstock (regular scrapbooking cardstock) to fit inside. Then go from there. Now I have also bought envelopes & plain cards, cheap, from Flower Factory. Sometimes if I am in more of a hurry I will use the pre-made card (it's just plain colored cardstock paper, pre-folded). I cut out patterned paper etc. to fit the front and use embellies, ribbon, my punches etc. Look at the card gallery, full of good ideas.

Charleneanne

Cherry Delight

When I am feeling lazy (like for the 18 shower invites I just made a week or so ago) I go to the $1. or $1.50 bin in the local craft store and buy their cards/envelopes. You usually get 8 or 10 cards and envelopes for your buck. but if you are going to stamp on those, make sure they are not glossy finish or you will need to file them a bit so the ink will stick.
I also often use heavy cardstock weight floral pp to make the cards. Looks great and you can stamp your greeting on a lighter weight/color paper to adher to the front. Easy and pretty

chrissymia74

Cherry Blossom

Another thing I have done, is check out the store that sells cards, like hallmark or a floral shop. They always get extra envelopes when they order cards, and sometimes will just give you the envelopes for free. I love getting things for free... :-D Then I usually figure out what size card to make for the envelope.

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee