Double Sided Paper Conundrum...

Moderator: ACOT Employee

amberella
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 39

Double Sided Paper Conundrum...

Post by amberella »

So, double sided paper seems like an awesome idea, right? It's getting more for your money!

But... whenever I get double sided paper I feel like I have to use it ONLY as the background, and do a LO on each side, which is obviously a pain! This gets especially bad when i really like both sides, or if I have an idea and WANT to cut it to use in different places but... I just... I can't!

Does anyone else get this way, or am I really just crazy?
AmberImageImage
ImageImage
letumom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 846

Re: Double Sided Paper Conundrum...

Post by letumom »

Whenever I buy paper these days, I end up using pieces of it on several layouts or cards. Can't just bring myself to use it on only one layout.

But (and I know you paper gals are tired of hearing this), that's why I'm loving the digi world. I get to use the same piece of paper soooooo many times.
Laurie

amberella
Cherry Bomb

Post by amberella »

I tried digi, but I just can't get used to using the free photoshop-esque programs... I'm used to photoshop but can't afford it. :P
AmberImageImage
ImageImage
averys_mom
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 293

Post by averys_mom »

Depends on the LO for me. Sometimes I will use a whole piece of double sided paper as a background, if it's perfect for the LO. (But I've never scrapped a layout on BOTH sides of a piece of double sided paper.) More often, though, I use cardstock as a background and cut the double sided paper up to get more use out of it. If I REALLY love both sides of the paper, and I used it for a background (as is the case in a LO I just did this week), I just plan to try and get another piece, if I can.
shayla_rose
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 125

Post by shayla_rose »

yes, I usually end up cutting it up so I can use both sides.. however there have been times I just use it as a bg and it feels like a waste! I never scrap on both sides.. sounds like a hassel
immom2anc
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 264

Post by immom2anc »

If its my background, I cut pieces out of the middle where they won't show behind the other papers then I either use hte opposite side on the same layout, or save it for another one. Usually I have more than one of the same piece though so I don't feel bad only using one side.
**Kristen**
My photography: http://www.kristencarterphotography.com
Image Image ImageImage Image
Jenn Kellams
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 402

Post by Jenn Kellams »

amberella wrote:I tried digi, but I just can't get used to using the free photoshop-esque programs... I'm used to photoshop but can't afford it. :P

Students get it SUPER cheap and PSE is much cheaper too!
Jennifer K.
Personal Blog
Scrappy69
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 76

Post by Scrappy69 »

Get out of my head! I swear I do the exact same thing!!!!
scraptag
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 567

Post by scraptag »

yes, but you just have to get over it and use it. Challenge yourself to use it differently each time, so that you feel like your getting your creative energy out, instead of thinking you only have to use it one way to be useful.
ie: elements where both sides show.
layouts, where you flip the paper in the corner so both sides show.
layouts where you use one side for a frame or tag and the other side for a border or tag or frame or flower, or....
amberella
Cherry Bomb

Post by amberella »

jjenni08 wrote:
amberella wrote:I tried digi, but I just can't get used to using the free photoshop-esque programs... I'm used to photoshop but can't afford it. :P

Students get it SUPER cheap and PSE is much cheaper too!

I looked at it a while ago, but I have a Mac and I don't think there was much of a discount for THAT version... I'd have to look again :)
AmberImageImage
ImageImage
amberella
Cherry Bomb

Post by amberella »

Scrappy69 wrote:Get out of my head! I swear I do the exact same thing!!!!

Hahaha! I also sit there and look at the paper ant think "But it's too pretty to cover up!!! :( "
AmberImageImage
ImageImage
grifscap
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 109

Post by grifscap »

Having that problem right now with some paper I bought from ACOT. Both sides are awesome and it hard to know which side to use.
JeanG
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 5

Post by JeanG »

I used to use both sides...but then ran into the problem that the side I was using wasn't what I wanted to use for the layout - so I went back to just using one side of the paper. If I really love the paper, I buy two.
I wonder, sometimes, if we ever give God a headache.
amberella
Cherry Bomb

Post by amberella »

Hmm... encouraging me to buy two isn't a good idea :waiting: But I suppose I could "accidentally" get a duplicate? :D

I just looked up photoshop stuff, Elements is only $70, but regular photoshop is still $200, and to get the entire design suite is $300. I'd use the suite a lot, but I'd clearly have to win the lottery :P (and yeah, those are good deals, but... still expensive! :?)
AmberImageImage
ImageImage
JeanG
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 5

Post by JeanG »

LOL, Amber - I'm an enabler!! "Accidentally" getting 2 seems wise to me....:-D
I wonder, sometimes, if we ever give God a headache.
mysunshine
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 221

Post by mysunshine »

This particular sheet makes me mad! Why did they offset the two sides? The back you can't see is 4 journal spots - quadrants. If you cut any of the middle spots on the front, you can't use the other side at all! They could have arranged both sides to be easily cut into quadrants, but they didn't. WHY??? It's obviously intended to be used in pieces, not as a background at all!

- Angie - Come read my blog!
TraciL
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 238

Post by TraciL »

U know what - I never use both sides. I mean I don't do a layout on both sides (if that makes sense).

I also buy 2 pieces of the same paper at the same time.

This could be what lead to my paper addiction issue.
killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

Amber and Angie.....BUY TWO!!!!

BUY TWO, BUY TWO!!!!

I do, and it solved my problem. Or if maybe like the last two layouts I did, I didn't like the offside so didn't need two. I am also capable to not buy two if I like both sides. I have to love love both sides to buy two. I have way too much paper as it is. ;)
MOM2SNOX
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 139

Post by MOM2SNOX »

LOL! That's why I buy TWO of each... one to use, the other to covet, admire and cherish forever and ever :P
Trish ~ It's all fun and games until somebody loses an EYELET!
grirosa
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 91

Post by grirosa »

killarney_rose wrote:Amber and Angie.....BUY TWO!!!!

BUY TWO, BUY TWO!!!!

I do, and it solved my problem. Or if maybe like the last two layouts I did, I didn't like the offside so didn't need two. I am also capable to not buy two if I like both sides. I have to love love both sides to buy two. I have way too much paper as it is. ;)
If I like it a lot, I ussually buy two!! not crazy, just sometimes awkuard :?
Griselda
Image ImageImage

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”