Tools of the trade (Paper Trimmers)

Moderator: ACOT Employee

suslvgeo
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 517

Tools of the trade (Paper Trimmers)

Post by suslvgeo »

I thought it might be fun to start some threads about different tools we use and then anchor them so others can see what we use, if they want tips or ideas.

I am going to start it off with PAPER TRIMMERS.

I use a Dahle 507 rotary. I have had it five years and the blade has never had to be changed. Gotta love that.

So what do you use?
SUS ImageImageImage
cynderellaj
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 576

Re: Tools of the trade (Paper Trimmers)

Post by cynderellaj »

I use the big Making Memories 12x12 cutter. I have to say I love it and I hate it. I love it because it has a self sharpening blade, it seems to cut straight, has a magnetic ruler to help hold things in place and has LOTS of guide markers so you can measure anything. I don't like it because it is too big and heavy to take to a crop. There is a plastic strip/paper guide to hold your paper along the cutting edge, but then it makes it really hard to make a cut on anything smaller a little over an inch. And it is also hard to clean under that plastic strip. You aren't supposed to cut chipboard with it, but I have done it with some of the thinner chipboard like you get with paper.
Image Image Image
Cyndi
I NEED SA - Scrappers Anonymous!!!
mykidsmom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 13

Post by mykidsmom »

Great idea!

I still use my CM trimmers. The 12 inch is the only one that I found that cuts straight, plus it is very portable. For smaller stuff I use my personal trimmer from 10 years ago when I started scrapbooking. Can you believe it?!
[HIGHLIGHT=#ffffff]-Melissa[/HIGHLIGHT]
3 Pals
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 49

Post by 3 Pals »

Cutterpede by EK Success rotary cutter. I like it but the little "lock" for the blade broke soon after I got it -no biggie really it doesn't effect anything unless I were to slide the blade all the down past the bottom it would slide off the track - still I should have returned it but I do like it - I like having the different blades for it.
ImageImage Image
Ann
Northern Brat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 253

Post by Northern Brat »

I have the big Making Memories trimmer too! I love it..it's not the greatest to take to crops, so I picked up a provocraft one (that green and purple one) I love it to!

The thing with the Making Memories, is the blade is self sharpening, and I love the grid for measurements.
Leslie
2012: Goal - 75 layouts 4 mini albums 20 cards --------> Progress - layouts mini album - cards
J - /6
ImageImage
purplewhale
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 19

Post by purplewhale »

I have the cutterpede which is my general, go-to cutter. For me I seem to be able to measure my paper easier than the others I have. I have a Fiskars gray and orange one that's probably older than Moses, but I like it because I like the way you can cut the blade in a specific place on your paper--great for making windows. Then I have a Creative Memories that also does well for making windows. I also have a high-precision guillotine trimmer which I'll only use to cut a lot of paper...hate to lug that thing out.

Great idea for threads!

Warmest,

-L
June Layout Challenge: 0/5 Paper Layouts, 2/2 Cards

scrapy1967
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1487

Post by scrapy1967 »

I have a fiskars and I love it I havn't had to change the blade in over 2 years.
ImageImage 

-ange-
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 68

Post by -ange- »

I have two fiskars of the portable kind, and two large, bulky ones that I don't even know who they're made by (obviously I don't use them). Oh, and I have a CM photo trimmer that's about 11 years old and I LOVE IT. I just wish it was bigger :) I have to change my fiskars blades pretty regularly because I love using textured pps (like glitter and oilcloth). Most of the time they cut straight :)
*ange* :)
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

I have two Friskars portable ones and love both of them. The cut well and I can take them with me. Also, I bought a lighted cutter off the TV with different cutting heads. It is crap!!
Bibi
ctaylor0312
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 52

Post by ctaylor0312 »

I'm so sad, I don't even know the name brand of the trimmer I use . . . all the time. If I had to guess, it's a fiskars - the portable one with the swing out arm. But that's all I can tell ya. How sad am I . . . LOL
ImageImageImageImage
JulesinParadise
Tiki Bar Mgr
Gallery: 349

Post by JulesinParadise »

I was using a Cutterpede until I started having trouble finding the blades for it. I bought a new cutter at Big Lots that has the light built in and I LOVE it. and they sell the replacement blades on the internet!
Last edited by JulesinParadise on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image WAS a TIKI BAR GIRL AND ALWAYS WILL BE
mommy2bean
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 144

Post by mommy2bean »

I used my fiskars trimmer that I got when I first started scrapbooking, then numbers are wearing off but I love it.
stephfez
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 28

Post by stephfez »

I just bought a new Fiskars portable trimmer that my lss manager recommended. I also have the Provocraft green and putple one. In addition I have the small CM trimmer that was given to me as a gift.
Stephanie

Nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently talented fool Image
zanettac
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 155

Post by zanettac »

Good idea Sus!!

I have a cutterpede...I bought one when I first started scrapping and someone stepped on the swing out arm and it broke...so I bought another. I also have a fiskars rotaty trimmer...but it scares me...it's huge!!

Carol
SarahA
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 358

Post by SarahA »

I have the Fiskars and love it, but I think the thing the blade sits in got loose and it started cutting a little crooked. Then I bought the MM 12x12 one and HATE it- I've actually went back to using the Fiskars. The lines on my MM are not lined up right with the part you slide the paper under and the measurements are always off. I'm going to replace my Fiskars with another one one of these days.
GRACEpunches5
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 575

Post by GRACEpunches5 »

i have a 12 inch fiskars rotary cutter...LOVE IT. cuts straight, cut through anything, i rarely change the blade (like once a year).
[url=http://gavinrandyalizacandyellie.blogspot.com/:22hb4o89]http://gavinrandyalizacandyellie.blogspot.com/[/url:22hb4o89]

[color=#ff4080:22hb4o89]Feb. 2010 Crop: 14 Challenges and 5 Fast Scraps
May 2010 Crop: 19 Challenges and 4 Fast Scraps[/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89]
[color=#bf0080:22hb4o89]August 2010 Crop: 9 Challenges and 4 Fast Scraps[/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89]
[/font:22hb4o89][color=#ff8080:22hb4o89]November 2010: 10 Challenges and 5 Fast Scraps[/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89]
[/font:22hb4o89][color=#ff4080:22hb4o89][img:22hb4o89]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/c ... -1-1-1.jpg[/img:22hb4o89][/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89][img:22hb4o89]http://creative.ak.fbcdn.net/v41818/fly ... c52db0.jpg[/img:22hb4o89][img:22hb4o89]http://pagemaps.com/images/blinkies/PMBlinkie88x33.gif[/img:22hb4o89]
sylgise5
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 62

Post by sylgise5 »

I have the Fiskars and like it. I also have a purple cow and really like it, just wish it wasn't so bulky.
Image Image
bluetulip
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 2

Post by bluetulip »

I have the Cutterpede which is light and portable, but I also use the Tonic Gulliotine paper cutter as well and I love it!
ImageImageImageImage
koala1966
Cherry Delight
Gallery: 2526

Post by koala1966 »

I have the CM trimmer (the one with the swing out ruler) and I love it, but I go through blades fast and it's hard to get replacements around here.

I also have a Cutterpede trimmer, which I love most of the time, but again it seems to go through blades fast. I know when the blade is getting dull because it starts to cut crooked.

I have a couple of the smaller Fiskar trimmers but those never cut straight. I have the 12x12 Fiskars trimmer and that one cuts beautifully, but is a pain to pull out.
Grandma Flowers
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 5

Post by Grandma Flowers »

I still use the Fiskars that I've had forever. I probably should think about getting a newer trimmer, but haven't seen the need so far.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”