Cut Files??? Help explain them to me.

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Cherry Bing

Cut Files??? Help explain them to me.

Post by »

I often see people post on sights to grab free cut files..IM not techie so explain what they are and how to get them and if I need anything to be able to cut them. I know this much...its something that allows you to cut a pattern on paper.. but I need to understand how this works...
Rozebud
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 146

Re: Cut Files??? Help explain them to me.

Post by Rozebud »

Cut Files, as I know them, are for die cutting machines like Silhouette or Cricut, etc.   Does that help?
pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1052

Post by pawprints »

Lollybert wrote:Cut Files, as I know them, are for die cutting machines like Silhouette or Cricut, etc.   Does that help?
Yes. I use them with Silhouette Studio to cut them on my Cameo.

Image Image Image

ScrappyDistractions
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 849

Post by ScrappyDistractions »

They are also sometimes called SVG files.  They are computer files that is an image or really an outline of an image.  Cutting machines like Brother and Silhouette 'read' those files so they know where to cut the paper.  If you have a cutting machine, you can get files from the manufacturer (e.g., the Silhouette online store) or from the web.  There are lots of free SVGs out there and some awesome for-purchase files (anywhere from $0.69 to $3.00) inluding CutMania (https://www.etsy.com/shop/CutMania)
Lisa - Scrappy Distractions

ImageImageImage

emmapaige
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 2463

Post by emmapaige »

And that was why I was off-line.  Trying to get my Cameo to cut a free Cut File I got from Hip Kit Club.  If I can ever get it to cut right, I'll post a pic here.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

Cherry Bing

Post by »

I only have an older cricut  and have been so confused with the cameo vs sillouette thing.. Now My next big machine I was considering is the Scan and cut. would I be able to use SVG files with a scan and cut?  OR. Do I need either sillouett or cameo?
emmapaige
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 2463

Post by emmapaige »

Silhouette and Cameo are the same thing - I think. I don't know anything about Scan and Cut.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

Cherry Bing

Post by »

ok I found this article about the ways each relates to svg files. http://svgcuts.com/blog/brother-scanncut-review/
ScrappyDistractions
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 849

Post by ScrappyDistractions »

First - yes, Sihouette and Cameo are effectively the same thing.  Silhouette is the brand and Cameo is a particular model (the most popular model).

As for the Scan and Cut - yes, it can use SVG files KIND OF.  From what I understand, you have to convert SVG files first to the native ScanNCut format.  This is not that big of a deal and can be done via their website (import an SVG file and Save As).  Alternatively, you can print the SVG file and the proceed with scanning/cutting.

I don't really have much of an opinion on the Brother ScanNCut as it is still a bit new and not a lot of reviews and comparisons have been written (yet).  I can say that I absolutely ADORE my Silhouette.  I had a Cricut (two, actually) and am so glad I gave them up years ago.  There is nothing I haven't been able to do with the Silhouette and the support is phenomenal - huge Silhouette user community, great online store with SOOOOO many designs, multi media (paper, fabric, embossing, drawing by swapping blade with pens, even stamp cutting)

Good luck in your decision
Lisa - Scrappy Distractions

ImageImageImage

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”