Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

redsonic20

Cherry Cropper

The Scrapbook World Needs More Purple!
When I first started scrapping, I noticed just how scarce purple really is.  Pink is on EVERYTHING and I am about as far away from being a fan of that color as possible.  During my collection shopping days on deal of the day sites I even bought the only two collections that I had seen in recent years that were purple and feminine.  One of the Lime Twist sub collections from MME and Peacock Lane from Bo Bunny.  I had to have them even if I never had a girl to shop for because they are colors that I like and would happily use, even if it was just framing the 12x12 papers as wall art for my office/scrap room.  But now that I AM expecting a girl, seeing all these girl baby lines that are centered around pink and brown really makes me sad.  I loved the first round of Echo Park's Bundle Of Joy collection and have a couple packs of it for the boy line...but both part one and part two have the same color schemes, which again...means pink and brown for the girl version.  Thank goodness most colors out there work for both boys and girls or I would really find myself struggling to find anything to scrap.  Expecting a girl also reminds me of how sad I am that Piggy Tales is gone since their black/green/yellow/white collection Itsy Bitsy Spider is one of my all time favorites and would be a fantastic alternate girl color scheme.  Authentique has a new one out in black/yellow but it's all off white and I like bright bases and have the hardest time using anything from my stash that is cream or off white based.

Pretty sure this would classify as a first world problem, but man...I thought I'd eventually find SOMETHING and it doesn't seem like there is much out there with purple in it (if the doodlebug winter collection was more universal and didn't have snowflakes all over, I would DEFINITELY be buying it).  Not to make this post entirely about me needing to complain, though, I did snag most of the black, grey and teal papers from Amy Tan's Stitched collection because I felt it would work really well for my little girl...I loved it as much in person as I did on the computer screen, so I suppose that's a step in the right direction.  I'm thinking about scrapping an ultrasound photo with it, which would be the first layout I've done of an ultrasound of any of MY kids, just need to dig into my stash for embellies since I foolishly didn't buy any of those when I placed my ACOT order last week.  You may now carry on with your regularly scheduled programming. :D
Denise

Visit My Blog:  Mamarazzi Scraps

average_kim

Cherry Cropper

Re: The Scrapbook World Needs More Purple!
Lol, you're right, Denise--first world problems.  But I do understand.  I felt the same with little boys' casual clothes.  All the shirts have red/blue/gray/green stripes, are all solid, or have "Mommy's little Monster" or "Here Comes Trouble", etc. on them . . .

I'd suggest going with other papers and collections and maybe die cutting embellies from colors you want to use.  Good luck with that.

With my second girl, I bought a purple and teal flowery room ensemble and had a hard time finding papers then that I could use to DIY some decorations . . . 
Kim

Image Image  

average_kim

Cherry Cropper

Just remembered that we recently had a thread with the topic of if you could suggest lines/collections to manufacturers. Maybe you should send out a few emails about a non pink baby girl line!

And, I recently had trouble trying to find some casual or tennis shoes for my DD without pink. Not that I dislike it, but she already has some. What's a girl to wear with red? Blue? Purple?
Kim

Image Image  

Charleneanne

Cherry Delight

I am also not fond of pink.  And I too will soon have a little girl to scrap about (new grandchild due end of January).  I find in yarn I am leaning towards deep dusty rose colors for baby blankets and items blended with some slightly off white in a truly Victorian style.  lol   As for purple,  I like the plums and heathers but not much else.  Poor little girl will have to learn to like the denim blue colors I used on her big brother I fear. 

shastess

Cherry Tart

I wholeheartedly agree! I love purple! My daughter does too but at 2 she likes pink too but I always lean towards purple and have a VERY hard time finding papers to scrap her!
*Mommy to Kaden, Blake and Ava*

I blog about Life @ 
http://kraftymama.blogspot.com/

debamas

Wild Cherry

I like pink sometimes if it's not too light and do like purple too. I sometimes do my girls' LO in their preferred color choices.
Debbie

Krystle

Cherry Bing

I agree.  Purple is rare now-adays.  I do remember some older lines that I loved with purple in it (BG's Eva and Wisteria and Pulmeria) but I haven't noticed anything recently.  I am not looking for purple myself, but I do get disappointed with the color schemes that are available.  To me, lines tend to focus on the same color schemes (pink and brown, blue and yellow) or have like every color in the collection, which I am not a fan of.  

butterfly843

A Cherry on Top

I'm a total pink person, not really a fan of purple. 

sarahwhithers

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I have heard that purples are never big sellers as strange as that is. At least for digital kits, they never seem to sell as much as others. haha! I actually just finished making a new digi kit for new years that is pretty much purple, so here's hoping it sells! :)

killarney_rose

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Denise, I remember having huge problems with three colors when I started to scrap.  I think everyone does with one or more colors.  For me it was yellow, orange and purple.  I have yet to get over purple!  I love love purple, I wear it all the time so why do I have that problem!  Then if you knew me all the way to 21 years old this Tomboy HATED PINK!  Then what did I do I pledged a sorority whose colors are Pink and Green.  In the early '80's those two colors not in style paired together.  We all felt so mismatched wearing our colors!  LOL I wear and love pink now, my favorite flower, Killarney Rose, my sorority's flower and a beautiful pink tea that is the hardest rose I have ever grown.

I do 100% agree with you about purple!  Terribly hard to find, the color not particularly "IN" at the moment.  But that to will change eventually!  I also think as Kim does and you need to write emails!  Yet I also think an actual handwritten  letter would have a greater impact!  Handwritten letters are a thing of the past, I do agree, but it shows a higher degree of passion and stands out because they are so rare!

You missed a line that has a large amount of purple in your post!  But......it's the one company I see so many say it is hard to use!  Most who eventually decide to cut into it then become fans.  I am in the process of collecting this line to do my brother's Christmas present for 2015, a mini album, using Graphic 45 Sweet Sentiments.  In fact both brothers are getting mini albums with purple!  The other is getting one with Bo Bunny Altitude!  Maybe this means I am ready to try and get over my purple avoidance issues!

If you get anything from Sweet Sentiments please leave some for me!  Image  I had to search high and low for the chipboard.  It will be February before I can order the rest!

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

I love purple and I love scrapping with it. It's also Maddie's favorite color and so I scrap a lot with purple, especially in digi. If you have a good inkjet printer and a little knowledge of a photo editing program you can purchase a baby digi kit and change the pink colors to purple. Just a thought.

You can find some generic purple products from Doodlebug (their lilac color)...

Image Image ImageImage Image ImageImage

Also this essentials pack has some purple in it...

The back of their Flock of Friends paper from the Friendly Forest line...

I know none of this are baby themed, but hopefully maybe you can use some of it as accents for your pages. And I just LOVE their Frosty Friends line but you are right, all winter and snow themed.

Ok can you tell I'm a big Doodlebug fan?!!

ImageImage Image Image  

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee