What is your style?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Re: What is your style?

Post by PezKat »

I think everyone's style evolves over time. I have a hard time describing mine too but right now I'm more into right angles, layering papers, & small embellishment clusters - I say I like "white space" but I usually want 2-3 4x6 photos on a page & those 2 plans don't mesh very well, lol!

I went through a shabby/distress everything stage and now that seems to busy for me. On the other hand I keep telling myself I have to add embellishments until there are enough so that things 'blend' together, so the challenge is finding that while avoiding being busy. I still ink edges but don't use the distressing tool much. And I usually have 2-3 gals here that I emulate style-wise, or at least that I try to! :)
Image Image
cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 256

Post by cajenkins81 »

average_kim wrote:
cajenkins81 wrote:
gonecamping wrote:I have no idea what my style is, I just put the stuff on the paper and see what happens. lol I would like to branch out and try misting but I am scared..:-D
Me too! I keep hoping I'll find some on sale or someone will gift some to me so I'll HAVE to try it! haha.

(SHH! Use a 40 percent off coupon at Hobby Lobby!)

hahahaha!! I do this ALL the time! A lot of the stuff recently that I've gotten has been from HL on sale!! (I got some Tim Holtz tiny alphas, some Sn@p alphas, and some cats eye inks!!) I need to get some mist!
Carolyn, mommy to Olivia (precocious preschooler) and Owen (rambunctious toddler).

2013 Page Totals: April - 3. May - 17. June - 25. July - 20. Aug - 20, 2 tags. Sept - 5. Oct - 13. Nov - 8. Dec - 14 LO, 2 projects, 1 card. 
Year: 125, 1 card, 2 projects, 2 tags 
2014 Page Totals: Jan - 15, 2 cards. Feb - 9, 1 project. Mar - 21 (I was busy!) (45 this year already)

My New Blog! Scrapper, Interrupted
cort
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 92

Post by cort »

blbabe1234 wrote:
DolphinSoul wrote:I have no idea what my style is.. I just scrap and see what I create!

Me too! I think it all depends on the photos and the products that I'm working with.

I agree...i get inspired by a product..if someone said i'd be using craft paper a few years ago I would have said nope not my style...now i use it a lot!

I just recently got into burlap on a page..and was amazed with the result. I see lots of peoples layouts and think "wow that is awesome..." and think maybe i can duplicate it..and sometimes it is just a flop for me because it doesn't live up to the expectations.

I think we each find our groove and niche as trends change and products change.
ImageImage
sdwhru
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 358

Post by sdwhru »

sometimes I think plain, but other times better. I feel like I leave stuff out KWIM? But the main thing is the photo not how "developed" the page is.
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

scrapy1967 wrote:I think I have found my style. It took me a while but I kept at it. My style is lots of layers and little clusters. I like the clean lines with a little bit of distressing. I like for the photo to be the focus. Here is one I did here recently that I love!
I really like this too. Great style!
Bibi
letumom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 846

Post by letumom »

I'm not sure I have a style per se.

In high school, I was on the year book staff for three years. In college I was on the year book staff for two years. I have a minor in Advertising from college, and probably have enough hours for a minor in Art as well. When my girls were in high school, I was the year book sponsor for three years. For more years than I can count, I've been the newsletter editor of multiple home owner associations, and non-profits, too!

Guess where most of my thought process go when I'm scrapping. Yep, you guessed it. Everything has to line up when you work in both year books and in print advertising (my degree emphasis).

But once I started scrapbooking, I was told, "there are no rules in scrapbooking." Yeah, right.

There are color rules - generally - think about Laura's Color Challenges.
There are rules of photo placement - for example, a layout with predominately white space or one where the photo placement follows the rule of thirds.
There are technically rules related to the number of embellishments used in a cluster. This is something that I learned when I spent time (8 years) studying with a master florist. In that realm, you always work in odd numbers (3, 5, 7). So while they might be different sizes, I generally have 3 or 5 of an element in a cluster (3 flowers, 3 brads, 3 hearts, or a combination of them - but always odd - cause I just can't do even, it looks unbalanced to me - lol).

So, while I try to do "my own thing", I'm pretty much influenced by these "rules" in some way or another.
Laurie

1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

As I continued to read the post in this thread, I found that many of you posted examples of your work. They are all wonderful and different from each other. Over all, I think we all like to do layers and some kind of ink technique with a few exceptions. Evolving. I like that word. I think I am "evolving" also. As I learn and do, I become more confidant, too.
Bibi
sweetsour
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 898

Post by sweetsour »

I think that is the thing, you have to have confidence in yourself and be brave to try new things. I used to be worried about wasting things or scared of having to throw things out and start all over if I made a mistake, but you know what? Who cares ?! Just do it! Sometimes you can fix something that you screwed up and it turns out better than you imagined.
For example, these were just brownish blobs until I swirled with red to match her hat, and I can't beleive they actually do resemble roses !
 Karrie

Melissa S.
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 85

Post by Melissa S. »

I don't have any idea if there's a word for my "style" or if I have one. I'm pretty much product driven.
Kelly Pyron
Digital Designers
Gallery: 242

Post by Kelly Pyron »

I have always considered myself to have an eclectic style, mainly because I love many different styles and mash them into one! Ha! Also, I go through stages. For instance, lately I have gotten back into the "Shabby Chic" style, with lots of pretty florals and distressing. Mainly, I love lots of dimension, color, and texture to my projects.
Kelly Shults
{My Digital Designs} {My Blog}
Kelly Pyron
Digital Designers
Gallery: 242

Post by Kelly Pyron »

sweetsour wrote:I think that is the thing, you have to have confidence in yourself and be brave to try new things. I used to be worried about wasting things or scared of having to throw things out and start all over if I made a mistake, but you know what? Who cares ?! Just do it! Sometimes you can fix something that you screwed up and it turns out better than you imagined.

This is so true! You have to learn to be brave and just try things to see what happens. This is supposed to be FUN! Have you ever watched a child painting or creating art? They play and experiment and don't really care how things turn out... they are just having fun! That is how they learn and grow! That is the attitude I try to bring into my scrapbooking and mixed media. Just like a child, I want to have fun and try new things. If I don't like it, oh well! I sure had fun in the process.
Kelly Shults
{My Digital Designs} {My Blog}
sweetsour
Wild Cherry

Post by sweetsour »

letumom wrote:There are technically rules related to the number of embellishments used in a cluster. This is something that I learned when I spent time (8 years) studying with a master florist. In that realm, you always work in odd numbers (3, 5, 7). So while they might be different sizes, I generally have 3 or 5 of an element in a cluster (3 flowers, 3 brads, 3 hearts, or a combination of them - but always odd - cause I just can't do even, it looks unbalanced to me - lol).

So, while I try to do "my own thing", I'm pretty much influenced by these "rules" in some way or another.

I absolutely do this too! The rule of 3 or 5 is something I learned from my mom while she was decorating the house, with placement of knickknacks, etc... an even amount of things just does not work for me - and I had a hard time with the 4x4 challenge for that reason!
Another principle I find I follow for balance is "what you do to one side you have to do to the other."
 Karrie

sweetsour
Wild Cherry

Post by sweetsour »

kellyshults wrote:
sweetsour wrote:I think that is the thing, you have to have confidence in yourself and be brave to try new things. I used to be worried about wasting things or scared of having to throw things out and start all over if I made a mistake, but you know what? Who cares ?! Just do it! Sometimes you can fix something that you screwed up and it turns out better than you imagined.

This is so true! You have to learn to be brave and just try things to see what happens. This is supposed to be FUN! Have you ever watched a child painting or creating art? They play and experiment and don't really care how things turn out... they are just having fun! That is how they learn and grow! That is the attitude I try to bring into my scrapbooking and mixed media. Just like a child, I want to have fun and try new things. If I don't like it, oh well! I sure had fun in the process.

Exactly what I meant - let go and have fun! You explained it perfectly likening to what children do.
 Karrie

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”