Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

1grandma

Cherry Addict

What weight paper?
Do you use for making cards. I have made a few using my regular weight cardstock that I use for SB. But they don't turn out like I wish them to. So, I am wondering if there are any tips of the trade you could share about making cards. What are the rules, so to speak?
Bibi

debamas

Wild Cherry

Re: What weight paper?
Good question! I've only tinkered with a couple of cards and not happy with the outcome. Need some good tips! Maybe there is a difference in cardstock for cards? Cardmakers, do tell us does what you use and what kind of texture or surface is best for stamping. I'm still trying to figure out how to stamp better too.
Debbie

Ayla

Cherry Addict

I use regular scrapping cardstock, but I'm also not much of a stamper. I just am picky about how it folds, so I use a bone folder or the cap of a pen to make the fold really crisp.
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

kelzpop

Cherry Tart

I guess I'm not picky. I just use whatever I have around, sometimes even patterned paper.
~ Kelly C

My Scrappy Blog

debamas

Wild Cherry

I have a bone folder and I do like that it helps give a crisp fold. Bibi has told me hers sometimes doesn't feel right after embellishing it..weightwise. I guess it depends on what you glue onto it. I did see some 100# cardstock here at ACOT. Wondering how different it is. Bibi, I made a card one time at a crop and we used reg cardstock but glued another solid piece that almost fit the cover leaving a narrow margine. I noticed that that stiffened it up a good bit.
Debbie

1grandma

Cherry Addict

Yes, I have made cards like that too, Debbie. I remember. I still have some of those cards. They were really nice. But, I know some of the cherries make cards all the time. What do you use? Are there specific embellies for cards or certain sizes that don't work well?
Bibi

butterfly843

A Cherry on Top

If I need to make a quick card I just cover a premade plain card I buy in a pack at michaels, if I have time I make my own with bazzil.

1grandma

Cherry Addict

butterfly843 wrote:If I need to make a quick card I just cover a premade plain card I buy in a pack at michaels, if I have time I make my own with bazzil.
It is sad that I think that the cheap premade cards are better than my cards.
Bibi

letumom

Cherry Jubilee

I use 80# paper which I buy in bulk from a printers supply house. I also buy my envelopes from the same source. I will usually buy 3 or 4 reams at the same time, and boxes of 500 envies. I buy 8.5 x 11 only and get two cards from each sheet. If you check out my cards, you'll notice that all of them are white based. This is because the majority of my cards go to OWH. I will either leave a margin of white or completely cover the front depending on the design.

HTH
Laurie

GeriNY

Sweet Cherry Pie

I have been using 80-100# CS for my card bases that seems to work well. I also use 8 1/2 x 11 sheets to make 2 cards. OWH is such a great organization Laurie I hope to join in sometime.
Geralyn
Life is good, and even better when the SUN is shining! :)

GeriNY

Sweet Cherry Pie

I also find a score board and bone folder very helpful to get a nice crease.
Geralyn
Life is good, and even better when the SUN is shining! :)

1grandma

Cherry Addict

letumom wrote:I use 80# paper which I buy in bulk from a printers supply house. I also buy my envelopes from the same source. I will usually buy 3 or 4 reams at the same time, and boxes of 500 envies. I buy 8.5 x 11 only and get two cards from each sheet. If you check out my cards, you'll notice that all of them are white based. This is because the majority of my cards go to OWH. I will either leave a margin of white or completely cover the front depending on the design.

HTH
What is OWH? I don't know them.
Bibi

letumom

Cherry Jubilee

1grandma wrote:
letumom wrote:I use 80# paper which I buy in bulk from a printers supply house. I also buy my envelopes from the same source. I will usually buy 3 or 4 reams at the same time, and boxes of 500 envies. I buy 8.5 x 11 only and get two cards from each sheet. If you check out my cards, you'll notice that all of them are white based. This is because the majority of my cards go to OWH. I will either leave a margin of white or completely cover the front depending on the design.

HTH

Operation Write Home.

This is a link to one of the blogs. I was chosen as cardmaker of the week.

http://operationwritehome.org/featured- ... ouston-tx/
Laurie

debamas

Wild Cherry

letumom wrote:
1grandma wrote:

HTH

Operation Write Home.

http://operationwritehome.org/featured- ... ouston-tx/
Laurie...This sounds really great! I just looked at the site and it's a wonderful thing to do.

Bibi, I browsed around at OWH and found some links on cardmaking. Here is one about paper for cards you might look at. Even though they have specifics for OWH, this site has good info for cards for anyone learning to make them. http://operationwritehome.org/cardmaking-101-cardstock/
Debbie

1grandma

Cherry Addict

Operation Write Home.

http://operationwritehome.org/featured- ... ouston-tx/[/quote]
Laurie...This sounds really great! I just looked at the site and it's a wonderful thing to do.

Bibi, I browsed around at OWH and found some links on cardmaking. Here is one about paper for cards you might look at. Even though they have specifics for OWH, this site has good info for cards for anyone learning to make them. http://operationwritehome.org/cardmaking-101-cardstock/[/quote]
Thanks, Debbie. I will look at this site.
Bibi

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee