Take an EXTRA 10% off everything with code EXTRA10

cynthialil

Cherry Tart

Choosing Colors and Patterns for a Page
I'm not the best when it comes to design, so I've been studying up on layouts in magazines and online. Thought I had it then promptly messed up the page I did last night. I was trying for that layering concept where you use different size strips in colors and patterns. In the end, my son gently told me that I had too many colors and none of them went with the colors in the photos so my pics didn't pop.

He's right and i see that now, but then i see these layouts with polka dots next to stripes. Part of it is that I'm working with a limited supply of color options and I'm sure those magazine layout folks had more choices, but I'm getting frustrated. Any advice?

Tinkeringjo

Cherry Tart

Re: Choosing Colors and Patterns for a Page
hey cynthialil... im a new crafter here too.. if im doing a layout or a card, i try to stick to two or three colours, that compliment each other, and then tones there of.. if im using patterns next to each other, then i try to go for the same colour pallet across the patterns and it generally works out great :) just my two cents worth :)

take a look at this wheel too.. colours that feature on a third of the wheel compliment each other..
colours that are opposite are called contrasting colours and also work effectively together.

ChrissyTina

Cherry Bing

Hi Cynthia!

When working with color, you always want to stay within one color family for example, pastels, primaries, brights, etc. Always pull color together that compliment each other. Rachel, one of the other CT members here at ACOT, does stunning work mixing color. I've linked up her gallery with her name.

As for pattern, I use one bold pattern and one muted pattern or mix and match a combo of the two. Another fellow CT member, Angela, does absolutely BRILLIANT work with patterns. I've linked up her gallery to her name there.

Go take a look and hopefully you can find something that resonates with you.

Don't forget to let us know how it turns out!
Chrissy

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

As far as color choices, I try to pull a trio of colors from the photos and use the gallon, quart, pint theory. Basically, I choose one color to use the most (and it is usually a color that shows up in a small amount in the photos). i.e. the "gallon" of that color. Then, I choose a second color that is used a fair amount in the photos and use a "quart" of that color. Finally, I choose a third color (probably the most prominent one in the photos) and use a "pint" of that color. Does this make sense?

Also, when choosing patterns, I use tiny patterns in large quantity and larger patterns in small quantity to balance them.
Laura
 Image    Image         Image

ChrissyTina

Cherry Bing

Art_Teacher wrote:As far as color choices, I try to pull a trio of colors from the photos and use the gallon, quart, pint theory. Basically, I choose one color to use the most (and it is usually a color that shows up in a small amount in the photos). i.e. the "gallon" of that color. Then, I choose a second color that is used a fair amount in the photos and use a "quart" of that color. Finally, I choose a third color (probably the most prominent one in the photos) and use a "pint" of that color. Does this make sense?

Also, when choosing patterns, I use tiny patterns in large quantity and larger patterns in small quantity to balance them.

OOooOOO good one!
Chrissy

scrapsakes

Chocolate Covered Cherry

ohh, perfectly wonderful suggestions and i totally agree with all the ladies! :)

as a rule of thumb for me (since layering is one of my fave thing to do, as well
as mixing & matching patterns) is that somewhere between all that craziness,
there should be a place to "rest your eyes" as to not overwhelm the outcome
and overall design of your page, so muted or plain backgrounds or small prints
serves this purpose... the bolder, brighter ones i reserve as supporting roles ;)
"a heart in love with beauty never grows old" Image (turkish proverb)

happayscrappay

Cherry Bing

Chrissy loves me :inlove:

Color can be tough. Honestly, alot of times I start with a color scheme that I want to play with and then pick the pictures after to go with it. And, now that I think about it, the page that I was planning on doing does not have the right pictures so I'll have to go dig another one out ;) I have far more pictures than supplies so this works for me. The gallon, pint, quart theory works well. And, look for balance of the colors - the one that you have the least of should be an accent color that helps you focus in on your photo.
Hi! I'm Rachel
My Blog: Happay Scraps

GeriNY

Sweet Cherry Pie

thanks for the tips. I struggle with combining pattern papers also.
Geralyn
Life is good, and even better when the SUN is shining! :)

deerewife

Cherry Jubilee

along with what has been said, it helps to buy patterned paper within a line - then they coordinate without effort :) And ACOT has a handy dandy feature that tells you cardstock matches for the PP too :)
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

I usually use colors from my photos. Unless they are photos of Boomer... can't have a totally black page lol! I have a tendency to go with blues and browns on his pages. I usually use patterned papers in areas where I am not going to have text, unless it is a very subdued pattern or I decide to lighten it way down (when I am doing digi or hybrid) so as not to interfere with the text.

ImageImage Image Image  

gncntry96

Cherry Blossom

I struggle, too, with mixing patterns. I've found that I learn a lot going through the gallery here or magazines, and finding the layouts that really jump out at me...that really say "wow". Then I study that layout and figure out what it is that makes me say wow. Is it the colors, or the embellishments or the way the photos are laid out. Once I determine that, I can try to do the same thing. I learn best visually, and then by copying, so I try to mimic those layouts that I really like. I also use sketches so that I'm not trying to figure out the layout AND the colors. One challenge per layout is usually enough for me.

Just my thoughts. Don't get too discouraged. I have been doing this for only a few years, but I can really see an improvement in my scrapping by learning from the CT and others here, and practicing what I see that I like. I also remind myself a LOT that there is no right and wrong in scrapping. It's art. And no one knows what was in your head. :greensmile:
Rachel

Image Image

writerlady

Bowl Full of Cherries

Hi. I've been scrapping for several years, and I'm not very confident with pattern mixing and I keep a color wheel on my workdesk for guidance. I love the advice you've been given - it's great! To me, the most important of those is "It's art! There is no right or wrong."
Please stop by my blog,Writerlady's Craftroom

bluejeans7

Bowl Full of Cherries

ChrissyTina wrote:Hi Cynthia!

When working with color, you always want to stay within one color family for example, pastels, primaries, brights, etc. Always pull color together that compliment each other. Rachel, one of the other CT members here at ACOT, does stunning work mixing color. I've linked up her gallery with her name.

As for pattern, I use one bold pattern and one muted pattern or mix and match a combo of the two. Another fellow CT member, Angela, does absolutely BRILLIANT work with patterns. I've linked up her gallery to her name there.

Thank you Chrissy! That made my day!! :-D

tinkerbelldani

Sweet Cherry Pie

This is a great post.... :)
ImageDani

debamas

Wild Cherry

OH I like this post...very helpful for me too!
Debbie

ChrissyTina

Cherry Bing

bluejeans7 wrote:
ChrissyTina wrote:Hi Cynthia!

Thank you Chrissy! That made my day!! :-D

I only speak the truth! ;)
Chrissy

cynthialil

Cherry Tart

Art_Teacher wrote:As far as color choices, I try to pull a trio of colors from the photos and use the gallon, quart, pint theory. Basically, I choose one color to use the most (and it is usually a color that shows up in a small amount in the photos). i.e. the "gallon" of that color. Then, I choose a second color that is used a fair amount in the photos and use a "quart" of that color. Finally, I choose a third color (probably the most prominent one in the photos) and use a "pint" of that color. Does this make sense?

I love this concept. I also realize that color intensity makes a difference as another poster wrote. I tend toward pastels but when I tried to put my boldly colored red and yellow photos on the pastel backgrounds it just didn't pop.

This weekend I got my first kit (Thanks Cherry On Top) - I used the seashore line from Cosmo Cricket and it made all the difference.

Queen Mum

Cherry Addict

Keep it simple.

Sometimes pages are all about the pages so that the pictures seem to be an after thought.

Limit yourself to maybe 2 prints until you get your confidence up.
Queen Mum - Grammy to Princess Bump (Lisa Giann) and Princess Bean (Gia Bella)

sarahwhithers

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I'm digi but when i do the paper layer strips, I always mix in patterns with solids. I think pattern after pattern of layer is a bit overwhelming, so I throw in a solid to bring back a colour into focus. Here's a couple examples in case it helps!

For this one, I also threw in some ribbon to add to the layers look.

And for this one I threw in a couple of different shapes to add to the layers and break up the patterns a bit.

This one isn't layers over top of every layer, but there are a lot of papers all in there, mixing in the patterns with the solids.

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee