Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

Calling all Cherries that own a Slice Machine
I have been thinking about getting a Slice with the Christmas money I got from my mommy and daddy. I have a paper punch collection that you wouldn't believe, and I thought this might be a good thing to add to my paper punching/cutting addiction. I don't really want something as big as a Cricut. I'd just like to be able to cut out alphas and shapes like flowers and such. I know it only goes up to 4", but for me that's a decent size. Things I like about the Slice is its small size and the fact that it can be battery operated. I've read many reviews online and watched some videos, but I would really love to hear how Slice-owning Cherries like their little machine. Are the cuts clean and smooth? I've seen reviews where some rave about the cuts, and some where they say the cuts are not always crisp. Are the designs, especially the fonts, good? Do they cut well? Do the blades wear out easily? And is the adhesive you have to keep applying to the mat a big PITA? Any help from the Cherries would be appreciated.

ImageImage Image Image  

anazelia

Cherry Cola

Re: Calling all Cherries that own a Slice Machine
I really like mine. I mainly use it for alphas. So since I don't use it as much as a I should, I can't really speak to the blades. I think I replaced mine once but I can't really remember. As for the glue, I bought a big thing of it here at ACOT and it is still going. The one problem that I do run into is placing my paper on the cutting mat- and I would recommend buying the big cutting mat- 12 x 12- I got it here- before the glue is ready for it. If you do that, then you can't get your pieces off of it. And it is a real PITA.

JulesinParadise

Tiki Bar Mgr

I love my Slice. I do use the big glass mat and I use a Krylon temp adhesive spray rather than what MM sells to go with it
I take mine with me to crops and it is great!
Image WAS a TIKI BAR GIRL AND ALWAYS WILL BE

SarahA

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I love my Slice! I just have the small glass that came with it, but a bigger one would be nice.
The only problems I've had with the cuts not being crisp are when the blade needed to be tightened, which I've noticed on mine happens if I don't use it for longer periods of time. But, that is fixed in about 3 seconds with a little wrench tool they include.

For the adhesive, I'm using the MM stuff, and I spread it on there, let it sit for maybe 2 minutes and it's dry enough.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get one! :-D

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

Thanks so much for the replies and the advice! It sounds like I would like it!

ImageImage Image Image  

GRACEpunches5

Cherry Garcia

i had one and sold it within a month of buying it. first, mine was defective so MM sent me a new one. two, i didn't think it cut as accurate or as clean as my cricut. it was noisy, and make a horrible sound as it cut on the glass cutting mat (almost like the finger nails on the chalk bored). if your going to spend the money on one, i really think it would be worth looking a personal cricut or cricut create.
[url=http://gavinrandyalizacandyellie.blogspot.com/:22hb4o89]http://gavinrandyalizacandyellie.blogspot.com/[/url:22hb4o89]

[color=#ff4080:22hb4o89]Feb. 2010 Crop: 14 Challenges and 5 Fast Scraps
May 2010 Crop: 19 Challenges and 4 Fast Scraps[/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89]
[color=#bf0080:22hb4o89]August 2010 Crop: 9 Challenges and 4 Fast Scraps[/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89]
[/font:22hb4o89][color=#ff8080:22hb4o89]November 2010: 10 Challenges and 5 Fast Scraps[/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89]
[/font:22hb4o89][color=#ff4080:22hb4o89][img:22hb4o89]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/c ... -1-1-1.jpg[/img:22hb4o89][/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89][img:22hb4o89]http://creative.ak.fbcdn.net/v41818/fly ... c52db0.jpg[/img:22hb4o89][img:22hb4o89]http://pagemaps.com/images/blinkies/PMBlinkie88x33.gif[/img:22hb4o89]

Retiree3

Wild Cherry

I LOVE, LOVE, Love everything about it! I couldn't do without it
[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

jdcrew2

Cherry Tart

I really love my sliceyImage

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

GRACEpunches5 wrote:i had one and sold it within a month of buying it. first, mine was defective so MM sent me a new one. two, i didn't think it cut as accurate or as clean as my cricut. it was noisy, and make a horrible sound as it cut on the glass cutting mat (almost like the finger nails on the chalk bored). if your going to spend the money on one, i really think it would be worth looking a personal cricut or cricut create.

I went to the Cricut site and looked at the personal Cricut and that looks very interesting too. Is is really large? I don't want something massive. Does it take all Cricut cartridges and are there a lot of designs to choose from, especially fonts?

ImageImage Image Image  

letumom

Cherry Jubilee

pawprints wrote:
GRACEpunches5 wrote:i had one and sold it within a month of buying it. first, mine was defective so MM sent me a new one. two, i didn't think it cut as accurate or as clean as my cricut. it was noisy, and make a horrible sound as it cut on the glass cutting mat (almost like the finger nails on the chalk bored). if your going to spend the money on one, i really think it would be worth looking a personal cricut or cricut create.

I went to the Cricut site and looked at the personal Cricut and that looks very interesting too. Is is really large? I don't want something massive. Does it take all Cricut cartridges and are there a lot of designs to choose from, especially fonts?

I love my personal cricut. It is about the size - width wise - of a laptop. I take it to crops, and have even taken it on a cruise. All of the cartridges are interchangable on all the machines. I have a ton of cartridges and am always finding new ways to use them. There are several sites that I haunt for inspiration.

Here is one: http://capadiadesigns.blogspot.com/ She uses the big cricut, but a lot of her tutorials work on both sizes.
Laurie

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

letumom wrote:I love my personal cricut. It is about the size - width wise - of a laptop. I take it to crops, and have even taken it on a cruise. All of the cartridges are interchangable on all the machines. I have a ton of cartridges and am always finding new ways to use them. There are several sites that I haunt for inspiration.

Here is one: http://capadiadesigns.blogspot.com/ She uses the big cricut, but a lot of her tutorials work on both sizes.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at both online and I notice the Cricut cartridges are so much more expensive than the Slice design cards. It also seems to me that you get more designs per design card than you do on a Cricut cartridge, but I could be wrong about that. All the info from you Cherries is helping a lot and I thank you all for your input. The Cricut sounds great, but I am leaning toward my original idea of the Slice because of it's small size. Even the design cards seem to be small and easy to store, and most of you that have one seem to really love it.

ImageImage Image Image  

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

Hi Barb! Long time to see... I have the little Cricut and really love it, but I've been curious about the slice just like you. I'm glad you asked this question.
Image ImageImage

SarahA

Chocolate Covered Cherry

The Slice cards are the same as an SD card like in your camera. VERY small! :)
My favorite cards are the Noteworthy card and the new one they just released called Remember This. It also comes with Basics 1, but you probably already knew that. ;)

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

AlwaysHappy wrote:Hi Barb! Long time to see... I have the little Cricut and really love it, but I've been curious about the slice just like you. I'm glad you asked this question.

Hi Barb!! I've missed seeing you around late at night. We must keep missing each other! Hope all is well!

ImageImage Image Image  

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

SarahA wrote:The Slice cards are the same as an SD card like in your camera. VERY small! :)
My favorite cards are the Noteworthy card and the new one they just released called Remember This. It also comes with Basics 1, but you probably already knew that. ;)

Wow Sarah, they are even smaller than I thought. I thought they were like a credit card size. That is awesome! I knew it came with the Basics 1 card, and I have been eyeing the Basics 2 card. Looks like it has lots of flowers and some that are double cut (I'm guessing like a double punch?) I also have been looking at the handwriting font card. I have lots of alphas, but it just seems like it would be cool to cut out some letters in whatever papers I want in a 3 or 4 inch size! ((Getting excited now!))

I have another question... it says that you can cut not only paper but cardstock, vellum, vinyl film, etc. I also notice MM sells a lot of this stuff, but I would assume if it cuts their cardstock, vellum, or vinyl it should cut any? Have you ever cut anything other than paper? I'm guessing you must have cut cardstock. Does it work good with that?

ImageImage Image Image  

LaWanna

Cherry Blossom

I have the Cricut (the original one). While the cartridges are expensive, I have a software product call Sure-Cuts-A-Lot, which allows you to cut any font on your computer as well as shapes. Being well-schooled in Photoshop I never have a problem getting exactly what I want with it.
LaWanna Desjardin
Find Desjardin Digital Designs on Facebook!
Blog: A Happy Distraction
Handmade Purses, Tote and More

** Yes that's my little dog sneaking a Dum-Dum Sucker.

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee