We're celebrating World Card Making Day with 20% off the regular price of everything! Use code CARDS20

gonecamping

Cherry Garcia

need ideas
My mom owned a scrapbook store and decided last year to retire. She has boxes of merchandise sitting in her garage. You name it, she has it. She has at least $10,000 worth of stuff left. We have done garage sales, trying to get rid of it. Our last garage sale she sold about $3000 of it. We are doing a another sale this weekend but there is just sooooo much merchandise. We need some ideas on how to get rid of all this stuff. She wants to at least get some of her money back on it. She obviously won't make anything on it, at this point she justs wants to clear out her garage. So, does anyone have any ideas for her on how to get rid of this stuff, short of giving it away which she doesn't want to do. I was thinking ebay, but things sell for so little on there, I am not sure it would be worth it. Thanks in advance.... :-D
***Tanya***

milmomma

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: need ideas
What about selling it to another LSS for a set price... all for this much. They can resell it for more?

PezKat

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Yep, you need to advertise a bunch of it as a "lot" (or several) for sale. Try Craigslist first since it's free, but the newspaper &/or eBay would be good too.
Image Image

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

I would advertise it as a "scrapbooking supply sale" instead of a garage sale. That way, it will attract the buyers who are really interested.
Image ImageImage

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

Oops it's this weekend, so too late to run another add.
Image ImageImage

2boysma

Cherry Berry

Where is this sale taking place? Is there anyway you could list some of what she has here? I'll bet some folks would be interested in some of her
products. Could she sell her stock to peachycheap.com? or an online store? (ACOT? a scrapbook clearance store?)
Jeanne

SarahA

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I would try to sell as a lot, too. Like all the pieces to a line of papers, etc. Craigslist is a good idea and I also agree to the idea of advertising it as a scrapbooking sale as opposed to a garage sale, if you were to try it again. I wonder if you could maybe have a table at a craft show, too?

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

I know it would be alot of work, but could you put it together in large kits of like items, and sell them for say $10. I often buy groups of things because I like 3 or 4 things in the bunch...I know, it's a sickness! But, I'm sure others have it, too.

Or, try the "whatever you can fit in this bag for $5" or whatever you think is fair for the size of bags you have. Definitely advertising on Craigslist could help.
Laura
 Image    Image         

Janshotgun

Cherry Cola

I like the craigslist idea. Also Farmer's Markets - some have tables for free or a nominal amount and you get a big crowd of people to look at it. Try grouping the merchandise by vendor. Presentation is everything. It may be a little work, but it should help you to sell.
Jan - trying to find my way

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

deerewife

Cherry Jubilee

I think you'd have good luck on craigslist. Or try ebay since you can list 5 items free each month - put together lots that would be good for starters or are all name brand papers.

Where are you?
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)

gonecamping

Cherry Garcia

thanks for your replies everyone. We advertised it as scrapbook sale, 50% off everything. Lots of people coming but there is sooooo much stuff that it won't all sell just in a garage sale. We advertised it on craigslist as well. I think I am going to contact ebay stores that sell scrapbook merchandise and see if they are interested in purchasing large quantities of stuff. My mom lives in a small community so there isn't a lot of success there. She hauls it up to my house because she does pretty good here. Since my parents are now retired they are traveling alot and she doesn't have alot of time to do the ebay listing. Thanks for the ideas!
***Tanya***

Emsdancemom

A Cherry on Top

I would try large lots with eBay. That or the kind of surprise auction when for each $1 or $5 you add something else to the deal. I have seen those grow to big money.

SunnyinNY

Cherry Blossom

If you're interested, check out www.etsy.com. I know the site is listed as handmade things, but you can also sell supplies. If you have some time, it might be worth it.

Return to “Scrapbooking Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee