Chit Chat - Question #3 (random points WINNER)

Moderators: MamaK321, 4peasinourpod

FairyMouseMom
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 943

Chit Chat - Question #3 (random points WINNER)

Post by FairyMouseMom »

RANDOM POINTS WINNER: jazzyscrapper

I had a friend of mine today write on her FB page her thoughts about Halloween costumes out there nowadays. Do any of you have any thoughts / comments on that topic? (Not that it matters, but hers had to do with the skimpiness of female costumes...)
Last edited by FairyMouseMom on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egle ~ Let the things you love be your escape. ~
I am addicted to alphabets!....and papers.....and....

Image Image Image
Cherry Jubilee

Re: Chit Chat - Question #3

Post by »

Honestly I haven't really given it much thought. But, now that you mention it... the skimpiness is fine for the adult costumes ... and maybe even teens... but I really think it's inappropriate for the little kids.
cynderellaj
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 576

Post by cynderellaj »

I agree that some of the little girls/middle school girls are getting a little too sexy. I like them cute, not sexy. THey grow up too fast already!!
Image Image Image
Cyndi
I NEED SA - Scrappers Anonymous!!!
joannie
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 2450

Post by joannie »

IT'S USUALLY COOL HERE IN INDIANA AT HALLOWEEN. SO MY GIRLS ARE USUALLY COVERED UP! BUT THEY ARE GETTING OLDER AND WILL BE GOING TO MORE PARTIES RATHER THAN TRICK-OR-TREATING OUTSIDE IN A COUPLE YEARS. THEN I'LL WORRY!!! THIS YEAR THEY WILL BE A SMURF (SHE HASN'T DECIDED WHICH ONE) AND THE MAD HATTER!!
- joannie

Image Image ImageImageImage
love2stamp
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 1037

Post by love2stamp »

I don't have usually look at costumes anymore, really have no reason to. I do however miss the costumes from years ago, it seems like the costumes lately are gruesome and skimpy. Miss the cute costumes.
ImageImageImageImage
dwinchell
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 11

Post by dwinchell »

I agree they are getting smaller as the girls get bigger... I am blessed, mine uses past dance costumes from her previous dance years so I know they stay approriate.
Denise
Mom to Nicole and Michael

scrapbookmary
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 29

Post by scrapbookmary »

I guess I miss the homemade costumes, where you just scavenged through the closets to come up with an idea of what to dress up as for Halloween.
...... but age is such a triumph over youth,
again, because you moved across the years to here.
Leaving there where it belongs
for youth to come along and re-discover. by Rod McKuen

jannyf
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 148

Post by jannyf »

It does seem that costumes are either gory or sexy. What happened to people being creative and coming up with their own costumes from a thrift store? My favorite Halloween costume was when my best friend & I dressed as Raggedy Ann & Andy. My Mom sewed our costumes! TV has too much of an influence on costumes now.
- Jan

amberella
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 39

Post by amberella »

I'd have to say I can't believe how much those cheap-barely-there costumes COST... Even if I could pull one off, I couldn't afford it!
AmberImageImage
ImageImage
debamas
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 228

Post by debamas »

I think WAY TOO MUCH $$$ is invested in the holidays nowadays. I love to see the creativity by kids and families to come up with a costume. And, YES, sexy doesn't need to be on a little girl. No need for sexy for a kids costume at all, IMO.
Debbie

Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Post by Ayla »

There's a joke that you know you live in Michigan when you buy or make a ccostume big enough to fit over a winter coat! I miss the creativity of making your own from available supplies...it seems to commercial now. I made my son a robot one year...spray painted a box silver, draw lines on it. Used dryer vent tubing for arms and legs, and spray painted a bucket silver for his head. Why do we need patterns and expensive costumes?
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

deerewife
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 483

Post by deerewife »

I hate that my kids always want to wear something that is SO hard to put warm clothes underneath!

I miss the days of telling them what to wear.
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)
3 Pals
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 49

Post by 3 Pals »

Yes they are quite skimpy. It makes me sad to see the way things like this have become. My dd is 21 and the outfit she wants to wear for her hallowween festivities at school...sigh..... what is a mother to do? I wish we could go back to the Andy Griffith days (for some things) when you would have to be not only respectful to those around you but to yourself as well.
ImageImage Image
Ann
Retiree3
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 5461

Post by Retiree3 »

I'm not really into Halloween so I don't really know much about the costumes.
[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

croppinmama
Cherry Cola
Gallery: -2

Post by croppinmama »

Yes I agree they are very skimpy. You should see the teenagers in my neighborhood go out for halloween. They look like hookers. I make my kids costumes because they are so expensive. Sometimes if I have to buy something I go to a consignment shops.
FairyMouseMom
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 943

Post by FairyMouseMom »

I told my daughter two years ago when she picked the Dorothy costume she wanted....that she would have to wear white leggings or capris with it.....and we even bought our own basket, bandana, and stuffed dog to go with it!
I just don't get it!!!!
I have to admit...I am kind of glad she does not want to go trick-or-treating this year. (Maybe it's because she doesn't want me to have to dish out for a costume?!!)
Egle ~ Let the things you love be your escape. ~
I am addicted to alphabets!....and papers.....and....

Image Image Image
scrappitydee
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 53

Post by scrappitydee »

We went to the costume store to try and find Raggedy Ann and Andy for my year-old twins (no such luck, btw), and I was taken aback by the gruesomeness and just outright evilness of the stuff. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I could only stomach it so long and then we left.

One of my pet peeves is, here in Texas, it's often still quite warm on Halloween (at least in the 80s) and so many of the outfits for kids are all in long sleeves or warmish material.
DaLynn - homeschooling 3 boys ages 12, 8, and 7
breastfeeding and cloth diapering boy/girl year-old twins
loving my hubby Bill, and my Jesus as Lord
and scrapping it all... in my spare time. ;)
Sandi0805
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 2310

Post by Sandi0805 »

I think the cost ($$$) is outrageous for costumes for kids. If it is cold, as it is here in Indy, they usually cover them up and can't really see them. I think it is more fun to be creative and come up with costumes that are made from scratch. Especially, if you have several kids. By the time you buy costumes, you don't have any $$ left to buy the candy, which by the way is getting costly too.
 Image ImageImage
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

I am not into Halloween, but the costumes are not what they used to be anyway.
Bibi
jazzyscrapper
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 39

Post by jazzyscrapper »

The children on my street are usually dressed pretty cute but they are little still. The older boys go for the gruesome. But I agree when my ds was younger, he is now 28, I really put thought and effort into his costume. Of course playing football or being in karate did help a few times lol.
Terri

Return to “October Crop 2011”