April 30-May 2
Forum rules
April 30-May 2
megamay
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 983

Re: Mother's Day Card Class HERE

Post by megamay »

Next I cut a piece of ribbon just a little larger than the blue cardstock, so I could wrap the ends under.

I adhered the ribbon to the blue cardstock by running a thin line (a little dab will do ya) down the ribbon before prositioning it from the front to make sure it was straight. Finally, I wrapped the ends around to the back and held them in place until they dried. Fabritac dries pretty quickly so you could just hold it but I used magnets on my metal desk. Sitting something on top would work too.

NOTE: I pretty much always use my ATG gun adhesive because it is what I prefer. Feel free to use whatever adhesive you prefer. But I find that liquid glue, especially fabritac, works best for, well, fabric - like ribbons. I also use fabritac for things like mulberry paper flowers and fabric flowers, and glitter papers.

ImageImageImageImage
fong33
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 204

Post by fong33 »

megamay wrote:Next I moved the papers around a little trying to decide which paper should go on which card. I ended up starting with the blue side of the River Rock paper on the kraft card. I inked the edges of both papers (and everything else in the class) with a brown (Chestnut) cats eye ink pad.

NOTE: Inking is optional, but I ink EVERYTHING. If I forget to add that as an instruction somewhere and you see something not inked, go ahead and assume that I meant for you to ink it. I think the only thing I didn't ink was the ribbon and the tiny alphas.

Next you will want to cut the blue cardstock. I cut a 3.5 inch strip then cut the strip down to 4.75 inches long. I then used my scallop border punch along the bottom before inking the edges.

Do you ink the cardstock?
wendy6510
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 2

Post by wendy6510 »

I am working along. though I have to admit that I am using up some scraps.
Scrappin13
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 116

Post by Scrappin13 »

These are so awesome! I have been so excited about this class!
Molly
megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

yeah, sorry, I inked that somewhere between the step you quoted here and the next step. That's why I added the note. I ink everything, so I forgot to take pictures of the inking on every step. sorry about that.
megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

thanks to everyone who said that the cards are pretty/nice/awesome :-D
I have to admit, I kinda impressed myself with this one. I think these are some of the best cards that I have ever made.
megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

Now we will go back to the punched flowers. (sorry for jumping around so much. It might have been better if I had to make all the flowers at the beginning, but this is how I work, and I thought it might be helpful for you to see some of the thought process I use. Plus, this is the order I took the photos in so it makes more sense that way.)

The first photo shows how I just set the flowers there to figure out how many I needed and where I wanted to put them. (I don't know why there are only two piles of punched shapes in that photo, because in the end there will be 3 flowers on the card) I decided that the big white circle was just a tad bit too big. Since I don't have another size punch, and I didnt feel like trimming it by hand, I decided to distress it instead. I used my tonic edge distresser, before crumpling it up a few times.

NOTE: Tonic/Tim Holtz makes an edge distresser as does Heidi Swapp, they are pretty much the same except the tonic one is more expensive and has more blades in it. More blade options = longer time before you need a new one. So I figure in the end they probably cost about the same. Alternately you can use the blade of scissors - or so Im told, but Ive never actually done that. Seems a tad bit dangerous to me. In essence the distressing tools are just little blades hidden in plastic that you drag across the edge of the paper to make it shaggy or distressed.

ImageImage
megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

I thought for a while about how to adhere the seed paper flowers to the card. I do not usually use brads on my cards and if I do, I NEVER let the backs show. Which is, incidentally, why I had not glued down the patterned paper yet. I learned the hard way many times that it is best to wait until the card is almost finished to glue the background piece to the actual card, that way you can use that piece to hide brad backs, or ribbon ends or whatever. Anyhoo, I had not originally planned to use brads on the cards. But I decided that it might be more 'user friendly' for the card recipients if they could just undo the brads and take the flowers off as opposed to feeling like they are literally ripping apart this gorgeous handmade creation. So, I dug through my stash and pulled out a variety of brads in coordinating colors. (I added some brad options available in the store here to the supply list for those of you who would prefer that option.)

Then I ... everyone say it with me - inked the edges. Liberally and with two tones of ink. I used a lighter brown and the same brown as before, in no particular order. Sometimes light brown was on white, sometimes on yellow. I just wanted more variety and visual interest.

NOTE: along with thinking long and hard about how to adhere the flowers, I contemplated what sorts of altering would work for the seed paper. In the end I decided that stamping and all manner of physical distortion was probably fine. Yes, punching and cutting and distressing might break some individual seeds, but in the end the bulk of the paper remains intact. However, I think it might be ill-advised to use glimmer mist on the seed papers. They are, after all, designed to biodegrade in moist soil and to allow the seeds to germinate. I didn't try it, so I can't really say, but I didnt want to chance it. Normally, instead of all this labor intensive inking I would have glimmer misted. Although, you know? I probably would have inked after the glimmer mist anyway. yep I am an inking addict.

ImageImage
megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

how are we doing ladies? am I going too fast? giving too much info? not enough?
scraptag
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 567

Post by scraptag »

gorgeous cards!
fong33
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by fong33 »

a little fast, but that's ok... I will add the flowers at the end.
megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

Next I used my paper piercer to make holes in the stacks of flowers, and pushed the brads through. You will notice here that I used one yellow flower, one white flower (which is hard to see) one yellow scallop circle and the one large white circle. I really wanted to load up on the seeds. Since I only put three see flowers on here, I wanted to make sure there was plenty of plantable paper included, so I made them a little thicker more for that reason, than for how they look.

megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

Aww and there they are sitting on the card all ready to go. You may now glue down the patterned paper and the cardstock. (where is my wink icon)
After the papers were glued down, I rearranged the flowers how I wanted them, and used the ends of the brads to make impressions in the cardstock, so that I know exactly where to make the holes. (see the tiny dot in the corner of the blue paper?)

ImageImage
megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

Now, MAKE SURE YOUR CARD IS OPEN. Then use the paper piercer to make a hole through all three layers of paper (card, patterned paper, and carstock) Then push the brad through and secure it. Repeat for the other two flowers.

ImageImage
megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

fong33 wrote:a little fast, but that's ok... I will add the flowers at the end.

you say a little fast and what do I do? follow it up with three more posts - lol!

seriously though, I think adding the flowers at the end is a great idea. So I figured I would give you a couple more steps so you can keep moving on the other parts if you are going to skip the flowers.
fong33
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by fong33 »

megamay wrote:
fong33 wrote:a little fast, but that's ok... I will add the flowers at the end.

you say a little fast and what do I do? follow it up with three more posts - lol!

seriously though, I think adding the flowers at the end is a great idea. So I figured I would give you a couple more steps so you can keep moving on the other parts if you are going to skip the flowers.

You're doing great!
megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

Now onto the sentiment. I used a scrap of the brown patterened paper. (leftover from cutting the card fronts) I used the paper because I was worried that the sticker letters would not stick to the ribbon very well. Also, it makes it easier for placement. It was just a happy coincidence that my title fit almost perfectly across the brown paper. If you have space leftover at the end, don't worry you can trim that off after we cut it into a strip.

ImageImage
megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

So after sticking down the stickers, trim the paper so that the edges are small and uniform all the way around. Then adhere it to the middle of the ribbon, off center to the right. It sticks over the edge and that is just fine. (I used fabritac to adhere it to the ribbon.)

DONE WITH CARD 1 - but dont worry, the others are going to go faster because we did a lot of prep work already.

grirosa
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 91

Post by grirosa »

Late, but finally here..
Griselda
Image ImageImage
megamay
Cherry Cola